Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

After the Povetkin fight and now Ruiz, it looks like Joshua's kryptonite is the smaller fighter. He can't cope with them punching up to him from different angles and swarming him. Was he trying to bide for time at the end and get a clean gum-shield? He did look like he had enough and wasn't answering the referee's commands.

4 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Still though, the result was a shock. In hindsight, AJ shouldn't have been so eager to go for the finish in the 3rd. I thought that Joshua had recovered as the 5th round progressed. But Ruiz had a great 6th round before catching AJ again in the 7th. 

Absolutely, he put down a fighter who had never been dropped and then went for the kill. Probably trying to make a statement and it fucked him over. The jab was working and should have stuck to that and hopefully worn Ruiz down.

• Paid Members

You wonder if AJ will spend a lifetime ruminating about that 3rd round, probably. He was boxing well, then caught Ruiz with a lovely combination, but the second he started swinging like a nutter I feared the worst. It's to his credit he managed to get out of the 3rd, I guess. However, it's a fight that once again exposes AJ from a defensive POV.

Fair play to Ruiz. He's not only got himself the belts, but he'll be getting good coin for the rematch.

Anyone having a go at the ref needs to have a word. AJ was knocked down 4 times in that fight, and aye he looked like he was wanting out of there. It was smart of the ref because I doubt AJ would have been able to do much if it continued.

A shame it's put a dent in the top 3 plans, but you felt it was always going to happen with one of them. Hopefully Fury shows how it's done in a few months.

27 minutes ago, Rossman said:

Absolutely, he put down a fighter who had never been dropped and then went for the kill. Probably trying to make a statement and it fucked him over. The jab was working and should have stuck to that and hopefully worn Ruiz down.

His coaches were pleading with him to just stick to good boxing. They knew Ruiz wanted a scrap and AJ fell for it.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Just read that when the fight ended, Conor McGregor tweeted ‘Bricked it’. Hilarious coming from Mr ‘please go easy on me, it’s only business’. He then deleted the tweet. Must’ve bricked it. 

This whole thing is really deflating. Imagine Vince McMahon building up to Hogan vs Andre at WrestleMania 3 and Hogan loses to Nikolai Volkoff. You can still do Hogan vs Andre down the line but it takes some of the shine off it. Seeing the post-fight stuff with Ruiz has sweetened the pill for me though. Him telling his mum their days of struggling to pay the rent and surviving on Pot Noodles and No Frills brand food are over. Can’t help but be happy for him. He’s like a big fat happy child. 

As I've hinted at throughout this thread over the years, I've long believed that Hearn and Matchroom had excelled in building the Joshua brand more than anything else. I've never bought into Joshua as the greatest heavyweight out there today, and anyone's who's seen Joshua fight in the past would know he can be hit, and that he does tend to start blowing heavy if a fight is conducted at a pace not set by him.

He's a solid, very good heavyweight, but he's not at the level of a Tyson Fury or a Deontay Wilder. He does a lot of things reasonably well, but he's not really a master of anything.

What I didn't see was him losing to someone like Ruiz. Fucking hell, talk about blowing your big American coming out party. Even if he'd somehow won (and let's be honest, after that third round you could be mistaken for thinking Ruiz had money on the fight going into the 2nd half with how much he sat back) he'd still have been crucified by the US media.

I watched the DAZN feed, and even though the commentators were supposed to be big-upping a guy who's part of the DAZN team, they had no option other than to slate him. 

I guess we'll see a rematch back in the UK, where fast Ed can talk 80,000 fans into filling Wembley again. Meanwhile, hopefully we get to see Wilder face Fury again, unless one of them slip up in their next bout as well!

• Paid Members

I’ve decided I want OAP Ortiz to beat Wilder, then lose the WBC belt to Ruiz so we can have Ruiz vs Fury for all the marbles, all the belts and all the Gregg’s steak bakes. 

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

What, dead? 

Maybe not dead (hopefully not dead, that would be terrible), but how that fight played out with him bouncing around the ring like a rubber ball before being dropped in spectacular style.