Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

When you see how Wilder throws you can understand why Hearn wants to wring as much cash out of AJ's run as possible before chucking him in there with him. A loss against Wilder is always going to reflect badly, because the chances are you don't lose on points. You get sparked.

Outside of Fury I don't see anyone beating this fella any time soon. It's going to take a fully fit, on top of his game version of Fury to outbox him over the distance, which I'm fairly confident he would do. I've seen a few bits & bobs since their first fight with Fury and his trainer suggesting that while Wilder hits hard, he's not difficult to read, and having been in there with him for 12 already that Fury would have a better read on him next time.

I give Joshua virtually zero chance of beating him. It's not that Joshua is a bad fighter, but styles make fights and his style doesn't match well against Wilder in my opinion. He's too robotic in his movement, too slow, and he's not hard to clip as we've seen. I'd give it five rounds tops before Wilder catches him. Joshua may get up from the first one, or maybe even two, but I can't see him winning that one.

• Paid Members

Wilders someone who can ruins anyones day. He's unconventional and has so much power that anyone fighting him could be in trouble. What he did to Breazeale could happen to anyone in the division if he finds the shot. 

Wilder could 100% lay out AJ, but if we want to point out chin vunerabilities theres no doubt AJ could do the same to Wilder. Wilder has also been outboxed in several fights against lower class fighters than AJ and hes been hurt too, Breazeale had him do a mini stanky leg himself. If they fought id give AJ the edge in everything but Wilders X factor power almost makes any fight 50/50.

It needs to happen.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Tyson Fury's young brother Tommy (2-0 as a pro) is going into Love Island. I have absolutely zero intention of watching that, but considering the show is so popular it'll turn Fury into abit of a showbiz celebrity. 

• Paid Members
On 5/24/2019 at 9:42 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Hughie Fury fight is on Channel 5 tomorrow from 9pm. 

The guy who Fury beat used to be a lumberjack, and judging by his effectiveness I am guessing he packed it in because the trees were winning. 

• Paid Members

the fight card is on the poster there, it very much looks a UK Matchroom show, some decent stuff there though. With it being New York it may start abit earlier than usual too. 

• Paid Members

Wilder’s tweeted this...

E42-AA607-9-ADE-47-E1-A8-F5-55-A3-DE2368

They couldn’t have just waited a few days to see how Joshua vs Ruiz played out before deciding their next move? The prevailing narrative seems to always be that AJ is ducking him but this smacks to me of them making sure Wilder is tied into another fight before Saturday night, so they have yet another excuse not to take the fight. While I don’t think any of the major parties are blameless, I think it’s pretty clear at this point what the main reason is for Joshua vs Wilder not getting made. The Yanks can keep going ‘just fight Wilder’ to AJ all they want but how is he supposed to do that when Wilder’s dancing around the question after the Brezeale fight, then signing to fight Ortiz again just days before AJ fights? Somehow this will still be spun as AJ being terrified of him and Hearn dodging it. But the way I see it, as slimy as I find Hearn, at least he seems to want to talk about the fight. In practically every interview he’s done over the last couple of months he’s saying he wants to sit down with Wilder and co and get the fight made. Wilder either doesn’t comment at all or when he is point blank asked about it like post-fight against Brezeale, he’s all non-committal. 

At this point, I hope Ortiz beats him and we somehow get Joshua vs Fury instead. 

• Paid Members

yep, utter mess.

On Showtime's broadcast last week Jim Grey grilled Wilder in ring post fight and questioned him on why the Joshua/Fury fights are not happening. Wilder gave it his usual schpiel and got throught it...then Showtime interviewed Luis Ortiz in ring a minute later and basically confirmed he was the next opponent, it was baffling.

Seems to be some steam behind this Tyson Fury/Dillian Whyte thing too. Fury trying to goad the WBC into creating a fake belt is utter twaddle but if thats what it takes to get those two to fight each other i'll take it at this point.

If thats the route we are going it'll likely end up being Joshua/Pulev later in the year so AJ gets one of his mandatories out of the way.

oh, other heavyweight news. Joe Joyce will fight Bryant Jennings in London in July. Decent step up for Joyce.

oh and Sky uploaded this...

Edited by Egg Shen

I just hope Joshua really chases the Fury fight now. I doubt it though. Pulev st Wembley at the end of the year i imagine.

Rumours Amir Khan fighting some Indian MMA fighter over Dubai way in a boxing match in an India v Pakistan match. So i guess thats the Brook fight done.

Ortiz is a dangerous fight for Wilder. 

Ortiz got the better of their first bout before running out of puff. He came very close to stopping Wilder in the mid-rounds. Of course, the 18 month gap between the first fight helps Wilder. Ortiz has gotten even older and Wilder has gained more experience. But still, I would not be surprised if Ortiz took Wilder out, and ruined his looming monster payday with Joshua. 

Oh, and I really enjoyed Sky's documentary on the Naz vs Kelley fight. For all his shortcomings, I love a bit of Prince Naz. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Apparently the WBC got the ball rolling for that WBC Diamond belt thing with Whyte/Fury but Fury's already said it aint gonna happen. The guys just trolling everyone isnt he?

• Paid Members

For what it's worth, AJ was on First Take the other day and he said he wants to sit down with Wilder, no management, and thrash out a deal. I'm sure Wilder's team will try their hardest to avoid this happening. Again, probably filling up his calendar so it can't.

Be right shady if we go a full year without the top three fighting each other at least once.