The UKFF Betting Topic

John Amos

Hi, 

I'm a total novice at betting but signed up with Betfair yesterday as they had a promotion for new customers of a no-risk bet on Arsenal winning. Basically I now have 4 free bet tokens, 3 x £10 and 1 x £8 which 'can only be used on selections with odds of 1/5 (1.2) or greater.' Does anyone have any tips/thoughts on how I can use them over the next few days? It seems like I can only use one token per bet..

Thanks in advance.

There's a whole slate of football matches Sunday, so it probably be worth your while to put something on them.

Really depends how you want to play it, I would put one of the free bets on like a two match draw double. As it gives you ridiculous odds for only two results.

I looked and saw -

Cardiff v Watford (@3.20)

Wolves v Brentford (@3.20)

Double comes in @ 10.24 so returns of £102.40 (yeah, I can do maths!) from your £10

Failing that, maybe

Aston Villa v Sunderland (@3.10)

Hull v Leicester (@3.20)

Double comes in @ 9.92 so returns of £99.20 from your £10

Those odds are from willhill, but I know bet fair seems to have better odds.

I'm the first to admit it's a complete crap shoot when betting on draws, and my knowledge isn't actually that great for football. But I think it would be worth a bet like that.

Then you can maybe do Chelsea, Arsenal, Bournemouth. (The bet I will likely do) which comes in @7.42. Or there abouts.

Whatever you do, good luck and I know I will sound patronising (but I promise it's not meant like that), don't get too addicted to it. Gambling/sports betting is an absolute horrible vice to have. So do set limits, even if you go on a losing streak, don't chase it.

Again, I don't want to sound like a wet blanket and put people off fun. But it really can just start as a fun little wager. Then next thing you know you're betting hundreds of pounds on a random Korean basketball game which isn't even streamed. Losing, then doubling down on the over of a Chinese women's basketball game. Sweating free throws in the last minute.... I mean, that's happened to a friend of mine... Who may be me :(

Warning - This post is long. But for those who are annoyed at me hogging the betting thread whilst also writing far too much in posts, this is your time to enjoy a long post of mine. As this post is all about me losing. So grab a drink and savour at my idiocy.

As I've posted only wins on here, I feel it's only fair I also show when I have losses. Lucky for those who enjoy in the misery of others, Sunday was a day for a biggish loss! (I won't do pictures, as there were lots of bets spread out. I will do my best to recap it all for you though.)

Now, before I go on I will say that all this stemmed from my original £50 bet which won £610 on Friday. So in theory I'm only down that money as I never cashed it out as I didn't need it for the weekend and knew I wanted to bet (something I try not to do anymore, I always take out any wins the day after.)... However, you will see it's not really like that by the end of this.

So that night of the 26th after my bet on decided to place bets on -

Arsenal @ 1.22

Brooklyn halftime/full time @ 3.10

Watford v Wolves BTTS @1.65

£110 stake - lost soundly.

Brooklyn v Boston Over 211.5 (in game) @ 1.85

£150 stake - won £277.50

Brooklyn v Boston Over 212.5 (in game) @ 1.85

£50 stake - won £92.50

San Antonio @ 2.45

Cleveland -3.5 @ 1.9

£170 stake - lost

Cleveland half time/full time @1.95

£100 stake - lost

San Antonio @1.9 (in game)

£100 stake - lost

Houston v Memphis Over 213.5 (in game)@1.85

£300 stake - won £555

(This was so freaking lucky! It was tied at 104 with 0.6 seconds left. And I was praying for overtime. Luckily Memphis missed a fairly easy jumper and it went safely to overtime.)

Phoenix -3.5 @1.85

£155 stake - won £286.75

Portland -13.5 @ 1.85

£100 - won £185

That was all one bloody night! Just ridiculous looking back. Anyway ended up with £791.75 after all that.

The next night I loved, absolutely loved this bet.

Kentucky -6.0 @1.9

Memphis -2.5 @1.9

£191.75 - won £698.86

So at this point I was up to about £1,300. All from that original bet.

Don't worry if you're now getting bored and hating me for reading all this, because in a moment you're going to be pounding the air with delight at the down swing I'm about to experience... Just sit right there and enjoy.

I then put on for the next day (Sunday)

Chelsea @1.85

Arsenal @2.10

Bournemouth @1.90

£98.86 - lost

But that night I also put on some basketball bets. They didn't go how you say, great.

(Side note - this is where I'm bad at betting, when I jump on stuff for the sake of it. It's something everyone should avoid. Just go to bed!)

Atlanta/Milwaukee Over 179.5 @1.85

£100 - lost

Minnesota/Golden state Over 219.5 @1.85

£100 - lost (super dumb of me, that over is stupidly high yet for some reason I decided it was a good idea to bet on it.)

I then took time out to put on

Chelsea @1.85

Man City @1.16

£250 - lost (Man City not winning will as you see, be my down fall. Stupid me putting them in just to bolster the bet a bit.)

Back to my superior knowledge of basketball where I'm a genius... Or an idiot who gets lucky from time to time but mainly loses :(

Sacramento -8.5 @1.85

£150 - lost

Now, onto the fun that is yesterday's football. Spoiler - Fuck Chelsea and Man City.

Chelsea @2.00

Man City @1.16

£100 - oh wouldn't you know, the top two teams decided not to win. Well done...

Man City @1.16 (im an idiot who doesn't learn!! It barely affected the price!!)

Arsenal @2.05

Bournemouth @1.75

£250 - well you know by now.. Those wankers City couldn't hold on to a 2-0 half time lead against bloody Burnley!!

Southampton/Chelsea draw @1.65 (in play)

£250 - won £412.50

Stoke/West Brom draw @2.30 (in play... 1 minute before Stoke went on and scored.)

£112.50 - lost

At this point I'm thinking to myself (before City's implosion). Awesome I hedged and got the draw, with the £1,050 win from the City/Arsenal/Bournemouth result with all teams leading 2-0 then I'm actually going to be up! What a great day.)

Then Man City went ahead and decided be shit.

At that point I'm down to £300 and think I love, absolutely love

Phoenix -5 @1.9

Toronto -2 @1.9

And plan to put the £300 on that to put it back upto over £1,000

But then, because I'm an impatient bastard I decide to bet on the nfl (EVEN THOUGH I DIDNT LIKE ANY OF THE LINES!!)

So..

New Orleans -5.5 @1.9

San Diego @2.35

£300 - Survey says??? LOST

So there you have it. From a £50 bet I got all the way up to £1,300. Yesterday it all came crashing down with Man City's unbelievable result being the main culprit. It's weird to think that such an awesome result for a neutral can have such a devastating effect.

Between Chelsea/City not winning & Golden state a few days ago which I showed you all not winning. That's a swing of about £7,000 to £0.

Oh gambling, you fickle fickle beast.

Jesus Christ! I daren't put more than a tenner on something, I know you only technically lost £50 from the original bet, but had I got that initial £610 win, I so would've cashed out and celebrated like I was the sole winner of a triple rollover Euromillions. It sucks that you lost, but you're a brave man regardless. Don't beat yourself up, the house ultimately wins in the end.

Jesus Christ! I daren't put more than a tenner on something, I know you only technically lost £50 from the original bet, but had I got that initial £610 win, I so would've cashed out and celebrated like I was the sole winner of a triple rollover Euromillions. It sucks that you lost, but you're a brave man regardless. Don't beat yourself up, the house ultimately wins in the end.

Ha, yeah I always cash out these days after any win. Even if it's only £150 or so. It's just what with the football and loads of betting opportunities, plus no actual need for the money (ok that sounds stupid.) I just didn't bother.

It sucks, but the sad part is it doesn't even crack my top 20 worst betting mistakes/losses!

It may seem hard to believe after all my posts but I have scaled back drastically in my betting. It's really good, I don't bet as high stakes, never play pit games and played one poker tournament in the last 3 months (though that was the wpt500 in Nottingham and I went through two bullets :( )

So don't worry I'm not beating myself up too much, as I've dealt with this before. I did just want to post it to show how it's not always winning that happens. (Though I'm obviously more likely to post a picture of my wins.)

Also to show how NOT to bet. Because it can be fun and profitable, but in most cases it is just stupid. And it can be a disease. The worst part is not valuing money at all, that is easily the most dangerous aspect of betting.

Still, fucking City! I mean come on. How has that happened?! Bloody wankers...

a triple for £100 i think is worth a look

nba - washington vs dallas total points 209.5 over

ncaab - oklahoma vs missouri total points under 126.5

ncaab- vermont vs usc total points under 133.5

returns £624.79

Edited by wooly

In case anyone has a spare fiver and wants to put a little bet on, this is what I'm betting on tonight.

Milan @1.60

Napoli @1.36

Ole Miss +22 @1.9

Phoenix @1.52

Comes back at about 6 to 1, which seems pretty good. Obviously Milan usually like to fuck things up but I feel pretty good about that. Ole Miss can get shots off against Kentucky so that spread seems a bit too high, I'm thinking it will be a 60-48 type of game. Phoenix are just hot right now and Milwaukee haven't been able to score at a decent rate since Jabari went out.

• Paid Members

By no means stick your mortgage on this or anything, but have been pretty impressed by Canadian Jeff Smith in the BDO Darts Championship so far. Still available at 12/1 to win the whole tournament at William Hill.

Edited by garynysmon

''It sucks, but the sad part is it doesn't even crack my top 20 worst betting mistakes/losses!''

Hey man, been really enjoying your tales as a fellow degenerate gambler. I'm nowhere near your level, but I always remember John Terry's quote of ''If a postman earns £400 a week and spends £400 gambling then that's a problem, if a footballer earns 100k and spends 5k then that isn't a problem''. In this analogy I am definitely a postman :)

But yea, am v interested to read more of your war stories wins and losses if you're willing to share? A week or so ago I was down £900 on slots on WH and playing Rainbow Riches I get 5 Wishing Wells which I have never hit before, pick reel 4 and low and behold a nice X500 on £2 a spin. So down £900 to up £100 in a second. I'm proud to say i'm still up on that after some football/poker wins.

And mate, Man City? I feel your pain. I fear you're like me and get an idea in your head then try to insure it on WH with their 6fold money back special. I was burned by Man City too and before that Celtic at a 1/5 on drawing (At home I think?). It's easily done :-/

But just wanted to say i'm enjoying your posts so keep em coming. And I am definitely NOT a doom monger, I hope you smash the bookies for all they are worth. Good luck mate.

Torres is starting in the Madrid derby tonight. The romantic/idiot in me has made me go for him to score and win, 6/1 with Skybet. To score 2 or more, and to score a hat-trick, 17/1 and 80/1 with PP.

Ahh man, I didn't watch but saw they had a penalty and I was really rooting for him to take it so you could win! How did they not let him, when it would have been a great story.

Anyway, Wednesday is my favourite betting day because of the sheer amount of basketball games on tonight.

I have -

Phoenix -7.5 @ 1.9

Atlanta -3.5 @1.9

Kansas @2.25