DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I'm currently rewatching Band of Brothers off DVD, and it really is absolutely incredible. Top 5 tv series of all time, IMO. It's only 10 episodes though, they could have made 20 and it wouldn't have got old.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

In which case you'll be happy to know they've got a follow up currenly in development... Same team working on it, and the style/format is the same, but it's not called Band of Brothers.

It's currently called The Pacific and should be released next year. Like Band of Brothers was based on the book of the same name by Steven E Ambrose this will be based on the memoirs of two US Marines (Eugene Sledge and Robert Leckie) who served in the Pacific Theatre of Operations.It's going to star Joe Mazzello and James Badge Dale (Chase in series 3 of 24) as Sledge and Leckie. Jon Seda, who played Dino Ortolani in Oz, will also star as a third main character. Unfortunatly the two authors passed away a few years ago so I don't think we'll see as many interviews with the veterans of the stories which is what gave Band of Brothers such a real feeling. Hopefully with the same team working on it though it will still be a decent series. Edited by Richie

Just watched Superhero Movie. Absolutely frigging loved it, hilarious shit. I can understand why people wouldn't like it but I loved it.

Yeah I liked it too. I wasn't expecting too since it only gets about 3/10 on the IMDB but I watched it yesterday and laughed a few times and generally enjoyed it.

I had the misfortune of sitting through a movie called Balls Of Fury the other day.

Down-and-out former professional ping-pong phenom, Randy Daytona (Dan Fogler), is sucked into a maelstrom when FBI Agent Ernie Rodriguez (George Lopez) recruits him for a secret mission. Randy is determined to bounce back and win, and to smoke out his father's killer -- arch-fiend Feng (Christopher Walken)

Awful. Just awful. American humour at it's worst. Highlights include a blind man being tricked into having sex with a male sex slave, George Lopez progressively (de)evolving into a typical Latino stereotype (ironically Lopez turned down a role in Desperado because he doesn't want to be in films that promoted negative images of Latinos), asian people not being able to pronounce common English words properly and countless other shitty 'jokes' that I've forcibly repressed from my memory. I cried tears of blood when I saw Walken hamming it up in this celluloid abortion.In you enjoyed garbage like Euro Trip then this movie will keep you gurgling mindlessly in your highchair for hours. For everyone else, avoid. Edited by Vito

• Paid Members

I'm currently rewatching Band of Brothers off DVD, and it really is absolutely incredible. Top 5 tv series of all time, IMO. It's only 10 episodes though, they could have made 20 and it wouldn't have got old.

Band of Brothers is (was) one of my favourite TV shows. I have it on DVD too and it never gets old. My mate got me into it so as a reward for her I got her a Christmas present that made her speechless. I tracked down some authentic BoB autographs (16 in all) and got them framed. A few of the better known names are missing but she still got Compton, Shifty Powers, "One Lung" McLung, Perconte, Luz and a few others.On topic - I had to endure aeroplane films recently. On the way out we got 27 Dresses (yawn) and The Water Horse (I did actually cry in this). On the way back we got National Treasure: Book of Secrets (not that bad actually, how Indiana Jones should have been) and Alvin and the Chipmonks (funny in places but a no-brainer).

Saw Adulthood the other day after finding out my local VUE was no longer showing Harold and Kumar 2 :angry:.WOW is all I can say! what a follow up to Kidulthood. Fantastic film and highly recommend It to anybody who has seen Kidulthood and enjoyed it. The film basically follows on from the previous film 6 years on, when Sam is released from jail after serving his time. All the other characters are revisited and its great to see how they have all moved on with their lives.Im not a great reviewer so wont go into massive detail but i loved everything about this film. Great plot, great acting, fantastic cinematography and a decent score to fit the film. Interesting characters that you actually care about come the end of the film, and the ending itself was well done. Plenty of laugh out loud moments too!I was looking forward to seeing Harold and Kumar but Im glad now i saw this instead!Oh and for those of you who may be worried about the fact that Danny Dyer is involved in the project, have no fears, he is in it for a total of 5-10 minutes.

Brick Lane,Beautifully shot, Steaming Pile of Shite!Doesnt even make sense... there is no proper linakage and it kinda meanders towards a shit ending Read the book, its better by miles

The Ruins

Falls into the so bad, it's funny territory. Three reasons for laughs.

1. Plants making a noise like a mobile phone.

2. Plants talking like munchkins.

3. A guy getting his leg chopped off.

Not only these things of course, but the sub plots that develop before they head for the ruines are so generic you just have to laugh. Unfortunately, this movie has no redeeming factors apart from that. I suppose that if you like gore you can watch this and get a degree of enjoyment of it. I just like a good horror. This is not a good horror.

I saw Indiana Jones 4 again at the weekend and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time around :thumbsup: Also, in the last month I've rented Superbad, Flight of the Living Dead, Cloverfield and Death ProofSuperbad was very funny but I kept expecting something to actually happen which, for anyone who's seen it knows, never materialized. Flight of the Living Dead was everything I was expecting and less. Think Snakes on a Plane + any George Romero film except not very good at all.Cloverfield was a LOT better in the cinema. For those that have got the latest home cinema set-ups you'll probably enjoy it but I was watching it on a 5 year old TV with no surround sound and it paled greatly to how much I enjoyed it when I saw it at the flicks.Death Proof was okay when Kurt Russell was on screen but I found myself fast-fowarding through large chunks near the beginning as it was akin watching an episode of Sex and the City. Probably one more for the ladettes than most guys. I'm looking forward to seeing Hancock when it comes out despite some early negative reviews I've seen online.