DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Harold and Kumar 2The first one was one of the funniest movies I've seen.. and this one was pretty hilarious too. Not a patch on the first one.. it seemed to just focus on 'nasty humour'.. whereas the first one was just serious humour!. Having said that.. you just have to laugh at Harold's tantrums. Looking forward to the 3rd one!

So you'd describe "Battleshits" as 'serious humour'?Christ, I bet you have Euro Trip on DVD too.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Wild Hogs its definately something that anyone could enjoy.

Murtz, you must be the most easily impressed film watcher in the history of the world.
For me.. thats surely a good thing... right?? Edited by Murtz

Murtz, you must be the most easily impressed film watcher in the history of the world.
For me.. thats surely a good thing... right??
In the same way that a cardboard box might keep a small child occupied for hours on end even though they have loads of cool toys to choose from. Just to be clear I dont keep small children in cardboard boxes.

Just watched Witness for the Prosecution which is a 1950s black and white legal drama based on an Agatha Christie book I believe. It starred Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich.

I'm a big fan of any film that has a good plot and don't automatically discount older films like alot of people do. It's well worth watching with a nice surprise along the way, and Charles Laughton acts brilliantly.

Anyone with a lobotomy maybe. Murtz, you must be the most easily impressed film watcher in the history of the world. You remind me of the "Aren't things brilliant?" guy from The Fast Show.
Wild Hogs was awesome. Not intentionally of course, it was just fun to watch Travolta spend two hours hiding behind things in order to try and disguise what a fat bastard he is these days.Oh, and I'm with Seven on Daniel Day Lewis - a little less acting would result in a far better performance.

Finally got a chance to start watching the much acclaimed vengeace trilogy last weekend. I've only watched the first 2 (sympathy for mr vengeace and oldboy) but I'm liking them so far.Obviously its not a proper trilogy as the films aren't linked. I enjoyed sympathy for mr vengeance. Plodded a little too much for me, but the actually filming and the techniques used were excellent.Oldboy on the other hand possibly just pushed its way into my all time favourite films list. I absolutely loved it right up to the big twist at the end which made it even better. Stuff like the scene transactions (I do love a good scene transaction!) were excellently done in places and unnoticably standard in others (which is no bad thing). Absolutely loved it.I'll be watching lady vengeance at some point this weekend, although I'm not expecting it to be as good as oldboy.

I'll be watching lady vengeance at some point this weekend, although I'm not expecting it to be as good as oldboy.

Good, you'll enjoy it more, I wish I had done the same. OldBoy remains my favourite film and I have the UKFF to thank for that. :thumbsup: I've still not seen Mr. Vengeance either. Did you buy the trilogy boxset KFR42?

• Paid Members

Caught up on some unwatched DVDs over the weekend:

Eastern Promises: Good from start to finish. Even though I feel sorry for Viggo Mortensen whenever somebody compares this to A History Of Violence, it is far more likeable. And the fight more than makes up for Viggo being in his birthday attire. Spoiler, kind of:

Although it's doubtful, a sequel could well be possible.

Oldboy: Good glory, just watch it.

*Possible spoilers*Continuing the discussion from the last page, I think the problem with No Country was the way Josh Brolin's character became a complete afterthought near the end and I felt kinda robbed of at least a bit of a show down. Then the whole car crash bit just felt really rushed followed by the let-down of a conclusion. With TWBB I can see the argument that Day-Lewis was overbearing, but I considered Paul Dano (hope I got his name right) to be pretty great in it also and was quite shocked that he didn't get the recognition (again, probably because Day-Lewis stole the show as it were). Still, I thought the over the top ending was perfect as it gave the audience the final showdown that No Country didn't and it created quite an unsettling feel, as if Plainview had lost his mind.

If you want to be hit over the head with the proverbial bowling pin of ostentatiousness and have everything wrapped up for you in stupid cartoon circumstances, fine. I prefer things to be ambiguous where they can be. The novel of No Country has the exact same treatment of Brolin's character and the same ending, and it's better for it. It's a much stronger film than TWBB, from beginning to end. Jesse James remains better than both though. ;)

If you want to be hit over the head with the proverbial bowling pin of ostentatiousness and have everything wrapped up for you in stupid cartoon circumstances, fine. I prefer things to be ambiguous where they can be. The novel of No Country has the exact same treatment of Brolin's character and the same ending, and it's better for it. It's a much stronger film than TWBB, from beginning to end. Jesse James remains better than both though. ;)

I just felt a bit let down with that part as I thought that Brolin was really great in it.Oh yeah I totally disagree with Loki's assessment of Brad Pitt and believe that Jesse James is the better film, just saying that I thought TWBB was better than No Country.In The Valley of Elah was the dark horse which I thought deserved more recognition also.

How many times have you seen THE BIG SHOWDOWN between the good guy and the bad guy which leads to a stupidly unrealistic fight? Brolin was great in it, but that's the point. You're emotionally invested in his character and all of a sudden he's gone. It's jolting and jarring and extremely fucking brave and while in that moment you're like "what the fuck?", it works for the film and especially for Brolin's character. He got lucky and he made mistakes because he's only human. Chigurh told him he wasn't cut out for the game he was playing, and through the fault of himself and others, he lost.

How many times have you seen THE BIG SHOWDOWN between the good guy and the bad guy which leads to a stupidly unrealistic fight? Brolin was great in it, but that's the point. You're emotionally invested in his character and all of a sudden he's gone. It's jolting and jarring and extremely fucking brave and while in that moment you're like "what the fuck?", it works for the film and especially for Brolin's character. He got lucky and he made mistakes because he's only human. Chigurh told him he wasn't cut out for the game he was playing, and through the fault of himself and others, he lost.

It could've been just a quick thing, but I thought he deserved either an on-screen death or a slight explanation. Still that's just me. I thought In The Valley of Elah was better than both No Country and TWBB tbh.