DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

had abit of a cinema obsession recently, been down to see:

In Bruges, Street Kings, Son of Rambow, Forgetting Sarah Marshall & Iron Man

all pretty different, but i'd recommend em all...not a bad film in the bunch.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

yeh it's alright, if you liked Superbad/Knocked Up you'll get a kick out of it, it's a little long but its the similar kind of profanity laced comedy. the best bits are the random stupidity moments, look out for a classic Lord of The Rings reference.

I watched Breach last night, which takes an awfully long time to get going. I can live with that though, because there's lots of Chris Cooper, and I think he's awesome. I didn't think it was engaging enough untill the last 30 minutes when they decide to throw a whole bunch of cool stuff at you, including Chris Cooper going off the deep end a little. Awesome.

Then we watched 24 Hour Party People, the film in which Coogan plays Tony Wilson and charts the change in music (and culture) in Manchester from the Sex Pistols to the Happy Mondays. After just having watched the documentary the film (which I had seen before) was appalingly inaccurate and used a lot of creative licence - however with Coogan's quips to the audiences throughout, "so-and-so swears this never happened!", the light-hearted tone is set accordingly. Jammed full of fun, humour and nostaglia this is a great homage to one of the greatest music scenes in history. Both really good movies, that you need to see if you want a true understanding of the history of contemporary alternative or electronic music.

Just awesome. Didn't expect much going in and thought Coogan was the wrong choice for Wilson but he shoved it down my throat. Brilliantly shot, hilarious and probably in my top 5 British films.

I saw outlaw starring sean bean the other week it was decent good at the beginning but trailed off before the end worth checking out when theres nothing else on tv .saw crank starring jason statham superb film i dont think he's made a bad film yet.

I 2001 he was in Ghosts Of Mars, The One and Mean Machine so he's been in at least three dire films. This isn't meant as a slant on the guy, I've got a soft (and a hard spot - Shu Qi~) for The Transporter but he's been in some shit.A few i've watched recentlyThe Break UpGood but not to great. Could have done with more Vaughn/Favreau buddy talksDancer In The DarkBjork is incredible in this and she could have gone on to do even better work. Most of musical numbers just went on too long and lost their meaning the more they went on but it's still an incredible watch with a bitch of an ending. Wild CardTwo cops on the trail of four teen muggers who keep killing people with a blunt odject(a rock hard sphere to be precise, nasty)lots of wierd comedy moments even during and after a rape, crazy over the top gangsters in bright campy clothes, police brutaliy on anyone that moves and also includes the ridiculously hot Han Chae-young (Seriously Google image search nowBeverly Hills CopAlways funRaiders Of The Lost ArkThe fourth has a lot to live up to.2046Very disapointing. No where near the greatness of In The Mood For Love and is kinda dull.Batman BeginsWell finally watched it. The Burton Batmans were two of my favourite films growing up so this really had no chance. Nowhere near as good or entertaining as the Burton films. I did enjoy it more than i thought i would but there's too much build (never thought i'd say that) and unlike the majority i don't have a hard on for Bale. Cillian Murphy, Caine and Freeman were all great in there roles. Good but not the masterpiece some say personally. Prefered the first Spiderman as well.Also watched Big Fish but i don't want to talk about it. :(

• Awards Moderator

Now, after seeing the trailer last night, I can't wait to see 'Hancock'. Looks awesome. :thumbsup:

Is it very nearly an armful?

Also watched Big Fish but i don't want to talk about it. sad.gif

Blubbed like a gal, dintcha? I found it r-e-a-l-l-y boring.

• Paid Members

The Nines

The Nines features three different scenarios involving the same actors only, playing different characters in each which intertwine as parellel universes.

It's an interesting, ambitious and intelligent little film. The way each story crosses over is pretty nifty and i'm a sucker for a multiverse angle and numerology. The film running 99 minutes in length is a rather nice touch. Only i was left disapointed with the ending as it felt as though there was far greater potential in the film from what proceeds it . Certainly quite complex and thought-provoking though and worth checking out.

The Mist

As usual, Frank Darabont is VERY faithful to the story, and that makes this a very good movie. They don't take long to get into the point of things, which is nice to see. The gradual build of hysteria, thanks to the crazy preacher lady, is pretty good. The climax is much better on screen than it is in the novella. So overall, Darabont has done another great job with a Stephen King story, as if it was ever in any doubt.

[REC]If anything is gonna make me post on here again, this is it. A terrifying movie this one. It starts pretty ordinarily. A Spanish TV crew are spending the night with a fire crew, as part of a TV show called "While You're Asleep" or someting similar. They hope for some excitement, hoping that nothing is wrong when it comes. However, when it DOES come, it's everything other than normal. What I love about this movie is that it has EVERYTHING I love about horror movies. 1) I was shitting myself. 2) It made me paranoid. Couldn't hear a sound without pausing the movie and looking around frantically. 3) It has lots of gore. 4) Makes me jump. 5) Has the sort of climax that makes you want to be somewhere else. The tension is so much, that even the obvious jumps make you think "oh god ! no !", instead of "oh god, not again.". Everything is done at a frantic pace and is absolutely insane.I can't praise this movie enough.

Dont you think it gets pretty much a 100% cliche-fest at the end, though? The whole camera turning in a dark loft, the power being out, them hiding from a bad person in the dark, etc etc? That end part still anoys me. They say they'll hide until that girl goes away, yet when she comes into the room, they try and sneak out of the room, thus being about 1 foot away from her. Silly.
Good film but not scary in the slightest. Damn you for hyping it so much :laugh: . The worst part was the way it was filmed, I felt queesy (sp?) all the way through. Enjoyable though.

• Paid Members

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I thought this was pretty good! Not a patch on Knocked Up or 40 Year Old Virgin.. but still really funny in some places. Im one of those that finds Russell Brand hilarious (couldnt stop laughing in the 'lost shoe' scene). Kirsten Bell is just too nice... and I dont think I remember a film where a guy showed his dick to the camera on so many occasions!

Good film if you want a laugh... would probably watch it again aswell.

Iron Man

Loved it!.. Robert Downey was great. The thing I loved about the film was that it wasnt just a good vs evil thing.. it actually had a really good story behind it all. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 92%(and they're usually very harsh in scoring).. I think I'd agree with them!.

I saw the Hulk trailer yesterday.. even though it looks awesome.. I cant forget how shit the first film was.. I felt like I was in a 2 hour biology lecture.

Just like last year... so many good films coming out this summer! Hancock, Indiana Jones, Dark Knight, Harold and Kumar 2!, Superhero Movie looks funny... hopefully they wont suck as some of the much hyped films did last year.