DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Took my wife and son to see Iron Man and they had the same mindset as me which was it was awesome. Deffo in my top 3 superhero movies for sure. The film had it all the right mix to cover how to make one of these type of movies and deliver to the mainstream.My wife was dudious about it going in as she aint into these type of films but she thought it was exellent. A lot of nods to the marvel universe in the film too so keep your eyes peeled and your ears open too lol. And yes it was worthwhile scrolling through the credits to get the little bonus feature with Samuel L Jackson playing Nick Fury and mentioning "the Avenger Initiative"

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heath Ledger looks amazing as The Joker, can't wait till the film is out.I went to see Iron Man on saturday and I have to agree with what has already been said; I thought it was amazing, so much better than i expected. Robert Downey Jr. was perfectly cast for the role and the special effects were some of the best I've seen. Roll on the sequal(s)

[REC]

If anything is gonna make me post on here again, this is it. A terrifying movie this one. It starts pretty ordinarily. A Spanish TV crew are spending the night with a fire crew, as part of a TV show called "While You're Asleep" or someting similar. They hope for some excitement, hoping that nothing is wrong when it comes. However, when it DOES come, it's everything other than normal.

What I love about this movie is that it has EVERYTHING I love about horror movies. 1) I was shitting myself. 2) It made me paranoid. Couldn't hear a sound without pausing the movie and looking around frantically. 3) It has lots of gore. 4) Makes me jump. 5) Has the sort of climax that makes you want to be somewhere else. The tension is so much, that even the obvious jumps make you think "oh god ! no !", instead of "oh god, not again.". Everything is done at a frantic pace and is absolutely insane.

I can't praise this movie enough.

Went and saw The Orphanage the other night.Awesome film. Thoroughly reccomended. And see it properly!! Either cinema, or if you're gonna d/l it then at least wait for a proper good copy to be available

Just to let people know, a DVD quality copy is out there on the net. That's how I saw it. Great film.
Yes, yes and yes. I've been trying to get everyone and anyone to go see this. I went with a friend a couple of weeks ago and he had seen Pan's Labyrinth which if I am correct was directed by Guillermo del Toro who produced this great film, he mentioned how great Pan's Labyrinth was and how he had heard very good things about The Orphanage so I decided to go along and see it with him. At first I thought it would be hard to get into watching the film with subtitles, I watch plenty of foreign language films but really find myself struggling at times to find a happy balance when concentrating on what is going on and what I should be reading. However, I was fully immersed within the story and with the added bonus of being in a criminally empty cinema meant that I really felt as if I'd gone through the whole film without even acknowledging the subtitles. I even remarked that it felt as if I'd just watched an English language film as I couldn

Took my wife and son to see Iron Man and they had the same mindset as me which was it was awesome. Deffo in my top 3 superhero movies for sure. The film had it all the right mix to cover how to make one of these type of movies and deliver to the mainstream.My wife was dudious about it going in as she aint into these type of films but she thought it was exellent. A lot of nods to the marvel universe in the film too so keep your eyes peeled and your ears open too lol. ******What you wrote here was a bit of a spoiler******8

:angry:

• Paid Members

Woolies have a few for a pound."Shark Attack" is a particularly good one. It has Ernie Hudson and that Van Dien bloke. Worth a pound of anybodies money.

Edited by bAzTNM

• Paid Members

"Shark Attack" is a particularly good one. It has Ernie Hudson and that Van Dien bloke. Worth a pound of anybodies money.

This is terrible advice. That's one of the worst films ever made and not in a "so bad it's good" way either. Avoid at all costs unless you have a boner for Casper "Rico" Van Dien like Baz.My limited recent viewing has included the following, highlight below for spoilerific thoughts:Super High Me - Pretty shit. Weed addict gives up for 30 days and annoys the viewer by stating everything he's doing would be better if he were high. Smokes all day for 30 days, annoys the viewer by stating how great everything is now he's high. The documentary is punctuated by clips of the central guy's stand-up - every joke ends in "I was high" or "It would be better if I was high". Doesn't make me want to smoke weed.The King of Kong - Amazingly brilliant. Billy Mitchell has shot into my top ten human beings of all time. An unashamedly geeky spectacular. Get involved. Plenty of interesting articles online also help to fill in the blanks and cast doubt on various scences such as the "diner disappearing act" and "Twin Galaxies snub". Edited by Miamivenis

[REC]If anything is gonna make me post on here again, this is it. A terrifying movie this one. It starts pretty ordinarily. A Spanish TV crew are spending the night with a fire crew, as part of a TV show called "While You're Asleep" or someting similar. They hope for some excitement, hoping that nothing is wrong when it comes. However, when it DOES come, it's everything other than normal. What I love about this movie is that it has EVERYTHING I love about horror movies. 1) I was shitting myself. 2) It made me paranoid. Couldn't hear a sound without pausing the movie and looking around frantically. 3) It has lots of gore. 4) Makes me jump. 5) Has the sort of climax that makes you want to be somewhere else. The tension is so much, that even the obvious jumps make you think "oh god ! no !", instead of "oh god, not again.". Everything is done at a frantic pace and is absolutely insane.I can't praise this movie enough.

Dont you think it gets pretty much a 100% cliche-fest at the end, though? The whole camera turning in a dark loft, the power being out, them hiding from a bad person in the dark, etc etc? That end part still anoys me. They say they'll hide until that girl goes away, yet when she comes into the room, they try and sneak out of the room, thus being about 1 foot away from her. Silly.

To be honest, I was too busy shitting my pants to notice the cliches.I do think they relied on some classic cliches through the movie, but it definately worked. The different direction for the final part definately had my blood pressure risen to the point where they could have put the circus on screen and I'd have been shitting myself.

Saw Iron Man last night.When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked crappy but decided to see it after reading a lot of 10/10 reviews and favourable write-ups by you fine people.Tremendous film, I really enjoyed it. I'm a big Downey Jr. fan and I loved his performance in this. Seeing it made me realise why I didn't enjoy some other superhero films. I didn't enjoy the Spiderman films because I find Tobey McGuire creepy and weird, for example.I also read on here the tip about the extra bit after the credits. I was surprised to see about 15 other people stick around also, and it was a cool ending part. My girlfriend hated it though because she was dying for a slash and I made her wait thinking it would be unmissable.Now, after seeing the trailer last night, I can't wait to see 'Hancock'. Looks awesome. :thumbsup:

speaking of Iron Man I gotta have one of these badboys.

2957.jpg

Sideshow is proud to partner with Stan Winston Studios to create a stunning Iron Man Life-Size bust in celebration of the upcoming Iron Man movie. Iron Man has been captured in 1:1 scale in his unique powered armor, taken directly from the molds used to create the film costume. The bust is cast in high-quality fiberglass, hand finished and hand painted to exacting standards, and features LED light-up glowing eyes (battery operated). The Life-Size Iron Man Bust is sure to be the centerpiece of any collection, and the perfect complement to any office or home theater.

I was in Manchester over the BH weekend so a bunch of us decided to watch some Manc themed flicks. First we went to the cinema to watch the new documentary Joy Division, really insightful and offers some insight from all the band members, Ian Curtis' girlfriend (who has never spoken publicly about their relationship before) and some great footage from the band that has been previously unseen. I've never been a HUGE fan of the band but the documentary was interesting, stylish and had a good pace to it (whilst maintaining a great depth on its subject). Well recommended. Although I doubt many cinemas are showing it.

Then we watched 24 Hour Party People, the film in which Coogan plays Tony Wilson and charts the change in music (and culture) in Manchester from the Sex Pistols to the Happy Mondays. After just having watched the documentary the film (which I had seen before) was appalingly inaccurate and used a lot of creative licence - however with Coogan's quips to the audiences throughout, "so-and-so swears this never happened!", the light-hearted tone is set accordingly. Jammed full of fun, humour and nostaglia this is a great homage to one of the greatest music scenes in history. Both really good movies, that you need to see if you want a true understanding of the history of contemporary alternative or electronic music.