DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Finally saw I want Cancdy the other day. Got to say I loved it, really good lowbrow British comedy. Also fun to play 'spot the bitpart players from variety of Britsh comedy shows'.

Got I Am Legend.Brilliant movie.

Your both wrong.I Want Candy is a shameful film - it should be noted that this is one of the new 'Ealing Studio' films and so I was expecting something half decent from it. But no - it's mostly unfunny and predictable.I Am Legend is a film everyone's seen a million times before - whether its 28 Days Later, 12 Monkeys, or the Omega Man its the same film but with Will Smith in lead. I had expectations for both to deliever, but neither did more than any slightly-below-par film would.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Castaway

One of my 'forgotten' favourite films. Its been about 2-3 years since I last took the dvd off my shelf so last night decided to give it a watch. It still is an awesome film, some of the island scenes really making you think what it must be like to live on your own for four years struggling to survive. And I always am really sad when Wilson floats away into the distance. Its a special film that makes you care about the fate of a volleyball with a face painted on it! lol. Another thing I picked up on was how much of a bitch his girlfriend is. So, the 'love of your life' has a plane crash and is presumed dead. In the next four years you bury him, mourn him, get your life back on track, meet someone new, grow to love him enough to marry him, and have a two year old kid with him?? Is it just me or is that moving pretty fast??

Edited by SilentBob

I managed to go see In Bruge - the first time I'd been to the cinema in over a year!I hadn't read anything about it and only saw the ad... and the film was a lot more than the midget-chopping fun that ad suggested. I hate spoiling films, but the "Bottle!" moment... tremendously funny.

I picked up City of God the other day in Asda for a fiver, and was blown away. I'd read that Time had voted it one of the 100 best films of all time and thought it'd be worth checking out, and it didn't disappoint. It's a Brazilian film set in the seventies in Rio De Janiero (sp?) and shows the gang's control over the slums by crime and lack of police and their control over the drug market. It follows the footsteps of a wannabe photographer, who gets a job by photographing the most notorious gang.Really worth watching.

• Paid Members

City of God is one of the most gripping films I've seen.. some of the scenes really do make an impact on you.. especially the one with the two little crying kids... One of the most heart wrenching scene I can ever remember seeing in a movie.

Was going to go to the cinema to watch 'Happy Go Lucky' last night, but I didn't get round to it in time - so me and my girlfriend watched a different Mike Leigh film - 'High Hopes'. It was Leigh's first feature film for a decade and the one that got the ball rolling for him, and deservedly so. Its had to explain what his film's are about, apart from perhaps explaining that they are 'character' not 'plot' films. Very enjoyable and thought provoking.

• Paid Members

I've been trying to make the most of my internet connection, so I have a stupid amount of movies to watch over the next few weeks. He's what I've watched so far.

Superbad

Thought it was a fun coming of age/buddy story, but not realy worth the amount of praise it gets. Nice enough movie with a few laughs, and some engaging characters. Dispite the obvious awkwardness of the characters it did actualy make me miss being that age, unlike most teen comedy/dramas that just make me thank god I'm not that stupid anymore. Mildly Recommended.

Paycheck

Goddamn this is a horrible movie. It started off with a pretty nice premise, and was mildly entertaining for the first hour or so, but when it got to the end.......damn! Stupid, convoluted, with big ass-gaping plot holes and poor acting. If you only caught the first 20 minutes you'd probably think it's a good film, but if you have to watch it just turn it off before the ending. AVOID!

The Virgin Suicides

I realy enjoyed this one. It was slightly pretentious in parts, but overall a good movie with some good acting and characters that realy draw you in. Strongly Recommended.

Whats Eating Gilbert Grape

Pretty good. Reminded me of Walk The Line as in it was like a very good made-for-tv movie. Depp's performance was great as usual, and DiCaprio realy impressed me. The ending was perhaps the only time I've seen my girlfriend cry because of a film. Recommended.

Ju-on: The Grudge

Surprisingly this one disapointed me. Maybe it was my fault for watching it dubbed instead of subtitled, and having seen the remake first, but it had absolutly no impact on me. Visualy it was nice enough, but it made me feel neither scared or disturbed, which in my opinion is the emotional response you want from a horror. Not Recommended.

Cloverfield

Now this I liked. The story was excellent, and had me hooked from the moment the action started (although admittedly it dragged up until that). Visuals were breathtaking, and the filming style realy drew me in. My only major critisism were that every single character was extremly boring and annoying, but the story was good enough to carry it through while paying homage to some of the sci fi horror classics. Strongly Recommended.

30 Days Of Night

Disapointing. From what I'd heard I was expecting this to be something different. Very dull, just felt like a Dawn Of The Dead remake with vampires and a few gimmicks. Some of the acting was so bad it was offensive, and as usual in bad horror films there's not even a hint of explanation to help you suspend your disbelief. Not Recommended.

Enchanted

As much as I hate to admit it this was quite enjoyable. Visualy interesting, and with a few decent gags. Recommended.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

This was one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time. It bordered on Scary Movie style humour in places, but it was just so damn well written that I didn't care. It did drag slightly about 3/4 of the way through, and I would only recommend it if you've seen Walk The Line, and it's probably not in the same league as This Is Spinal Tap or Blues Brothers, but it is damn good. Strongly Recommended.

Juno

I thought this was pretty damn good. It felt like a Kevin Smith movie without the toilet humour (I mean that in a good way). Very interesting characters, great acting and dialogue, and a realy fitting soundtrack. Can't praise this enough, although the girlfriend absolutly hated it. Very Strongly Recommended.

I'm probably gonna watch Persepolis or Paprika tonight, so I'll post reviews soon.

If anyone can recommend me any good films then please suggest some, although I have already gone through pretty much every page of this thread and downloaded anything of note.....

• Moderators

Went and saw The Orphanage the other night.

Awesome film. Thoroughly reccomended. And see it properly!! Either cinema, or if you're gonna d/l it then at least wait for a proper good copy to be available and burn it and watch it on the TV, or rent it when it comes out. This is not a shitty film to watch on your monitor.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
It's pretty cool how a film can shit you up so much as it goes on, and then pretty much right at the end takes you from terror to extreme sadness, and then to what was ultimately a happy ending, I guess.. like, I saw the ending coming and that, but I still really enjoyed watching it all coming together.

The film stayed really grounded and believable throughout, and it was made perfectly.

• Paid Members

Went and saw The Orphanage the other night.Awesome film. Thoroughly reccomended. And see it properly!! Either cinema, or if you're gonna d/l it then at least wait for a proper good copy to be available

Just to let people know, a DVD quality copy is out there on the net. That's how I saw it. Great film.