DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

The fact that you complain it doesn't pan out like a normal horror, with the final kill being the perfect example of this, suggests perhaps you were expecting to see a conventional mindless film with killers and endless supply of corpses, each killed in a variety of 'fantastic' ways . Plus the cast were fucking great.

I didn't complain about it not panning out like a traditional horror film, I stated as such that it went against the grain in some respects, but you wrongly deciphered my opinion on the matter.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rise of the footsoldier was a bleh film, it was ok in the sense that I had nothing else to do at the time but I hate brit filmmakers and their insistance on a mockney accent *shudders* half the london/south east based brit films become unbearable due to this and to be honest the film never really had a firm grasp of where it was actually going.

• Paid Members

Thirty days of night

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Firstly, I haven't read the graphic novels or any of the associated sequels/spin-offs to this, so any possible differences/meddling with/ruining of the original story will have no bearing on my opinion of this movie.

I was disappointed that I had to wait for the DVD to see this because nobody was up for it at the cinema after seeing the trailer, which I thought looked awesome.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. The location and whole "look" of the film is stunning, the bad guys are fantastic and I have perhaps too much love for Josh Hartnett for a heterosexual male. The lead vampire was superb, and I liked the idea of him wanting to cover up the incident to keep people believing that vampires are mythical. Reading up on it, I see that in the comic mini-series it had Vicente coming to the town specifically to end the feeding after other vampires had descended on the town, though I reckon him supervising a relatively small group for a swift and brutal feeding frenzy makes enough sense to work.

I've seen complaints regarding what exactly happens during the days in between the little jumps ahead, which is a fair point given that the vampires can sniff people out and the town is a small one with relatively few people left in it.However, I enjoyed it enough to bes willing to overlook it and didn't really see how else they could cover the month without it going overly long and thus sacrificing the pace and tension.

Recommended.

Incidentally, I got quite interested in and read up a bit on Barrow, Alaska after seeing the movie. Quite a fascinating place.

• Paid Members

I watched The Orphange last night. 'Twas bloody good, scary as shit in more than a few places, the ending was a bit predictable and cheesy but thumbs up all round. There's an absolutely terrifying sequence based on the "what time is it Mr. wolf?" game which deserves to be on every top scary movie moments list.

• Paid Members

The Orphanage:

I was quite intrigued by this as I'd heard/read from a few sources about how frightening it was, potentially being the best horror in years (not difficult, mind). The thing that clinched it for me was the missus telling me one of her mates stopped watching after ten minutes. While not the pant-shitting horror I expected, it's definitely creepy as heck and has it's stand-out moments. Worth watching, and had something I didn't expect:

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
I could've cried like a bitch at the end. :/

Edited by Stug Rivers

Hard CandyWatched this the other day.. I really enjoyed it! Ellen Page was quality throughout (just like she was in Juno)... The plot was different to what I thought it was going to be.. I was expecting a 'Saw style' torture movie.. but it wasnt really like that.. Quality movie nonetheless.

I thought it was a bit strange and focused on it's 'main' two scenes for far too long (the.. um torture scene and the final scene). A little bit more drive and it would've been a lot better but you went from feeling deeply uncomfortable to wondering when it was going to end.Not a bad movie. But it could've been more.

• Paid Members

I personally think Hard Candy is one of the worst movies ever made. It is so completely and utterly retarded and stupid it's fucking ridiculous. It thinks it's clever and smart, but it's not. It's not tense, scary or disturbing...it's a dull, preposterous mess of a "film".

• Moderators

Ok.. I gotta say something now...

I donwloaded and watched 30 days of night a few weeks back. I think it was after someone mentioned it in this thread and I thought the premise was very cool, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

It was really soooo dull and by the numbers boring shit. So little imagination, so little explanation for anything, and many things which made no sense at all.

I really don't get how anyone is enjoying this film.

In contrast there was a film on TV last night starring James Woods called "Vampire" that looked like it kicked fucking ass. Unfortunately it was on pretty late so I went to bed part way through, but I'm definitely going to have to get hold of it and watch the rest of it. I think it was a John Carpenter film..

I taped John Carpenter's Vampires, one of my favorite vampire films alongside Lost Boys and Fright Night.

anyway, I watched The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford a few days ago. Best film of 2007 out of the one's I've seen so far (which, granted, isnt much). Casey Affleck was in a league of his own. 10/10

Also watched Romper Stomper starring Rusell Crowe. Really brutal, gritty film about a gang of skinheads in Melbourne. 7/10.