DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Spot on. What a fucking hateful movie.
I agree partly with 'JackKane'

Haha my sentiments for the movie are the same. Good film, but the jargon and the quirkiness and the indy songs were way too much. Fun article.

I agree with that script, the language was just stupid and unrealistic, though I didn't mind the music, I still enjoyed the film though.Also Into the Wild pisses over everything else not that I've seen them :cool: (that's a ridiculous comment, even for me, but it is an excellent, shall check the others out in due time) Edited by Tequila_Boy

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha my sentiments for the movie are the same. Good film, but the jargon and the quirkiness and the indy songs were way too much. Fun article.

I agree with that script, the language was just stupid and unrealistic, though I didn't mind the music, I still enjoyed the film though.Also Into the Wild pisses over everything else not that I've seen them :cool: (that's a ridiculous comment, even for me, but it is an excellent, shall check the others out in due time)
Into The Wild was a great film, but in my opinion it suffered due to the Emile Hirsch's character coming off as unlikeable. I didn't detest him, and I appreciate the choices that the character (and the man in real life) made, but I never connected with him, and he always came of as an irresponsible rebel.Theres still plenty of films I need to watch from 07 (TWBB, NCFOM, Sweeney Todd, Michael Clayton, Juno, believe me theres plenty more) but out of the films I have watched, The Assassination Of Jesse James is by far my favorite. The film was drawn out and slow, but it was a rare case where instead of a really good long film flying by really quickly and not exactly feeling long, Jesse James felt long but by the time it ended I still wanted more. If that makes sense.

Iron ManReally enjoyed it, yes I'm a superhero film fan, but this was a pretty good version, a few bad points like focusing on one aspect of the suit a bit much and leaving out the rest of it, but that's a really small thing. Fun enough, nothing earth shattering but we've had some poor Hero movies recently so this was a step in the right direction. Hopefully Hancock will keep it moving.

Saw 'This Is England' the other night on film four.Really thought it was a good film.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by this. It was quite unsettling the way it morphed from a nice, heart-warming rites of passage movie into a violent trip into the fascist underground. Really great performances throughout. It was top drawer, really.

Oh yeah I totally disagree with Loki's assessment of Brad Pitt and believe that Jesse James is the better film, just saying that I thought TWBB was better than No Country.

Well, you're both wrong :ninja:

Iron ManReally enjoyed it, yes I'm a superhero film fan, but this was a pretty good version, a few bad points like focusing on one aspect of the suit a bit much and leaving out the rest of it, but that's a really small thing. Fun enough, nothing earth shattering but we've had some poor Hero movies recently so this was a step in the right direction. Hopefully Hancock will keep it moving.

I've noticed they're advertising this as an action film in this country where as all the other trailors i've seen are billing it as more a full on comedy. Whats up wid dat?

I agree with that script, the language was just stupid and unrealistic, though I didn't mind the music, I still enjoyed the film though.Also Into the Wild pisses over everything else not that I've seen them :cool: (that's a ridiculous comment, even for me, but it is an excellent, shall check the others out in due time)
Into The Wild was a great film, but in my opinion it suffered due to the Emile Hirsch's character coming off as unlikeable. I didn't detest him, and I appreciate the choices that the character (and the man in real life) made, but I never connected with him, and he always came of as an irresponsible rebel.Theres still plenty of films I need to watch from 07 (TWBB, NCFOM, Sweeney Todd, Michael Clayton, Juno, believe me theres plenty more) but out of the films I have watched, The Assassination Of Jesse James is by far my favorite. The film was drawn out and slow, but it was a rare case where instead of a really good long film flying by really quickly and not exactly feeling long, Jesse James felt long but by the time it ended I still wanted more. If that makes sense.
That's one of the reasons I liked it. It wasn't majorly biased on the side of Alexander. It is based on a book based on a true story and instead of making him this great 'explorer' of his time etc, they portrayed his good and bad qualities.

I've noticed they're advertising this as an action film in this country where as all the other trailors i've seen are billing it as more a full on comedy. Whats up wid dat?
I guess they're pushing it more as the 'superhero' thing over here. Though seeing the full trailer yesterday pretty much shows you it's a comedy that's also got a lot of action in it....It looks like it could be great.

• Moderators

It does look like it could be good fun..I kinda wish it was someone other than Will Smith, but I guess he only really annoys me when he's trying to be serious; he's still pretty good at the funnyman schtick...

Edited by Who has called me Hage?

That's one of the reasons I liked it. It wasn't majorly biased on the side of Alexander. It is based on a book based on a true story and instead of making him this great 'explorer' of his time etc, they portrayed his good and bad qualities.
Good point. I only watched it once however, and I find movies much easier to judge after two viewings, so I'll have to watch it again to have a concrete opinion on it.About Hancock, I'm not the biggest Will Smith fan, but this surprisingly sounds great. Apparently theres a scene where he has sex in a caravan, then when he ejaculates it shoots holes in the roof. Certainly appeals to the immature childish side of me anyway.

I'll be watching lady vengeance at some point this weekend, although I'm not expecting it to be as good as oldboy.

Good, you'll enjoy it more, I wish I had done the same. OldBoy remains my favourite film and I have the UKFF to thank for that. :thumbsup: I've still not seen Mr. Vengeance either. Did you buy the trilogy boxset KFR42?
Yeah, bought the trilogy boxset for 15 quid online. Not a bad purchase. I did enjoy Lady Vengeance, it was a lot more like mr vengeace than oldboy. Plodded a bit in the same way, but the filming techniques used were great. I had the fade to black and white version which is quite an odd technique, but not something I've seen before. Oldboy was still by far my favourite of the three though.It always surprises me how many people have seen oldboy and lady vengeance, but not mr vengeance. A friend of mine has 2 copies of the boxset (one with the hammer bottle opener and other assorted crap and one without) and he still hasn't watched mr vengeance. I couldn't imagine owning 2 copies of a film and not watching it.I also got a copy of shaolin soccer for 3 quid in Asda on saturday. Absolute bargain. If you havn't seen it I suggest you pop in to Asda as its part of their cheap football dvds for euro 2008 deal. A great kung fu-comedy. Edited by KFR42

I think that Hancock loses its unique selling point (sorry to use a term here) due to the fact that more and more comic book adaptations, such as Batman Begins, are trying to push themselves as being more realistic. Therefor a potentially modern take on the superhero genre (in Hancock) almost falls into the "just another comic book movie" catergory with some...me at least.

• Paid Members

I've obviously not seen the film yet but the producers are saying it's much darker and realistic than the trailer portrays it to be. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

To me the trailer looks like a comedy. A superhero who doesn't really want to be a superhero and would rather go and get drunk or use his powers to impress women. I don't see how that is anything like the new comic book 'trying to be realistic' movies. So its still unique IMO.