DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I'm with Seven on this one. Superhero Movie is just plain crap.

What are your thoughts on "John Rambo"? People getting blown away all over the place. :(

It's one of the worst films ever made. It's about an hour of awful violence which is shown in the hope that this will enable you to enjoy the awful violence that is dished out in response.The term Moral Vacuum was invented for this film.

What are your thoughts on "John Rambo"? People getting blown away all over the place. :(

It's one of the worst films ever made. It's about an hour of awful violence which is shown in the hope that this will enable you to enjoy the awful violence that is dished out in response.The term Moral Vacuum was invented for this film.
So in other words the 'perfect' Rambo film?

Just discovered a nice little short film written by Matt Stone and Trey Parker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Studio_and_YouWatch

I seem to remember posting that on here a few years back. Hilarious shit, especially the stallone bits.I watched a couple of movies over the last few days:Futurama: Beast with a billion backs. Very very funny. Not as good as benders big score, but still very entertaining. A must view for fans of futurama.Spiderwich Chronicles: Not bad for a kids film, nothing to hold my attention really though. Could have used a killing spree ending.The Onion: The movie. Hilarious film. Just really a series of sketches based around the onion website. Kind of like the day to day mixed with monty python but with a heavy American influence (being an American film n all). Very very funny.

So in other words the 'perfect' Rambo film?
No. The problem with it is that Stallone is obvioulsy under the slight misconception that he has given the film a real moral context. The film, in its opening sequence alone, doesn't invite you to leave your brain at the cinema door. Fine, but if you are going down that road you need to be judged accordingly.I would also point out that most of the action is actually pretty mundance and unimaginative anyway. Take away the odd limb removal and it is dull as ditchwater. As a horrors of war expose it can't hold a candle to Saving Private Ryan and as a straight up popcorn actioner it loses out to countless straight to video B Movies.

Back to the Future 1, 2 and 3.I fucking love those films. If you haven't seen them WHATS WRONG WITH YOU????Okay 3 is stretching things a bit, but hey.

+1 for the Kermode lovers as well. I miss not being able to listen to his reviews on Radio 5 on a Friday afternoon.

They are avaliable in podcast form. :thumbsup:I re-watched Fight Club last night, I remember seeing it a few years back and despite it being a good film, feeling it had been over-rated and not the amazing cinematic experience everyone had said it was. People think it's one of Pitt's best roles, but it doesn't compare to his roles in Se7en or Twelve Monkeys, and I've never been a huge fan of Ed Norton and as a lead found him somewhat uneaging - even though his role in the film appears to be to represent the 'evey-man' character (I.E he could be you or me). The film is rather good though - the subsections that allow non-linear directions (such as the explanation of the cigarette burns and the Ikea catalogue in the apartment) are very entertaining and the film has a good pace for its length.It all adds up to an entertaining two hours, but but it's not a patch on Fincher's Se7en or Zodiac. Edited by ukedge87

• Paid Members

I watched Forbidden Kingdom today. It's like a kung fu version of Harry Potter. It's a load of concepts from other films and tales (Monkey King, Bride With White Hair, Beggar So, etc... and even a bit of Karate Kid) mashed together in one family friendly bundle. Admittedly, I've never been the biggest Jet Lee fan, and I can't think of any other occasion where he's performed monkey style. As such, he's a pretty limp Monkey King. He also doesn't seem anywhere near as fast or slick as he used to be. I also couldn't quite take Jackie as the drunken beggar character, when I'm used to him playing opposite him. It wouldn't have been so bad if he'd used it as an excuse to do a load of drunken boxing, which fans generally love him for, but there wasn't nearly as much as there could or should have been. I'm pretty sure I've seen Jackie do monkey style before, so maybe he should have been the Monkey King? Meh. Now I think about it, Samo's a fucking awesome monkey boxer, he should have been in it. As such, it's easy to watch, mildly enjoyable, but you're not going to hurry to watch it a second time. The opening credits were tremendous. Shots of Lau Kar Leung and Hsao Hou, which only highlighted how shite a monkey Jet Lee was in comparison.