DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Just listening to the commentary for 'Superbad' and I can't believe what a dick Judd Apatow was.It started out being recorded in two locations but both places could hear eachother and interact.In L.A. the commentary featured:- writer Evan Goldberg,- writer/Star Seth Rogen- The guy who played Evan- The guy who played Fogeland in N.Y.C., the commentary featured:- the guy who played Seth- producer Judd Apatow- producer Judd Apatow's daughter Maude (who's about 8 years old) was also in the room.So the L.A. crew are having fun and talking freely, when a couple of times Jonah Hill (who played Seth) over in New York accidentally swore. Each time Judd Apatow warned him (albeit in a friendly manner) not to swear while his daughter is in the room. Hill apologized to her.Eventually 40 minutes in, Apatow gets legitimately pissed off at Hill for swearing.Hill explains that they are watching an R-Rated/15 certificate film which is unsuitable for her in the first place, and swearing does happen when he's talking to his friends who are also free to swear (as the people in LA had been frequently, with young Apatow not being able to hear them due to not wearing headphones).Apatow gets even angrier when Hill wouldn't censor himself just for the benefit of the child and actually storms out of the commentary, never to return!Jonah Hill didn't let it affect him and he seemed to enjoy himself more after the incident, but I imagine he and Apatow ended up falling out when Apatow - in my opinion - was out of order for bringing her in the first place.

Interestingly I just assumed this was a work. Good fun commentary though. Isn't there a gap in the audio just before he leaves etc. I just thought during this time they were just saying to each other 'I'm taking the kid out' 'I know, why don't we fuck with the audience?!'. They just didn't seem to be to bothered about it to be real. I might give it another listen at some point. Edited by DEF

It was a joke, dopp :( a "work"All of Apatow's commentaries have antics.

I did suspect that at first because I remember him being part of one where people like Kyle Gass were "just passing" and joined them ( Anchorman maybe? ), but surely if they were going to plan something like this one - shouldn't it be funny? :confused:

• Moderators

It was a joke, dopp :( a "work"All of Apatow's commentaries have antics.

I did suspect that at first because I remember him being part of one where people like Kyle Gass were "just passing" and joined them ( Anchorman maybe? ), but surely if they were going to plan something like this one - shouldn't it be funny? :confused:
I think the funny part, to them, is when people believe it. Ah, my sweet, innocent young dopper.

Saw Hancock today.

It was a film of two halfs if ever I've seen one.

The first half was very enjoyable, it had some hillarious dialogue and it was up there with the most fun I've had in a cinema this year.

However, the second half really makes this film very average, you are left with so many plot holes and things going left unexplained that you can't possibly rate the film highly.

There are other good films out there at the minute, see them before going to see Hancock.

• Paid Members

Poor Boy's Game - *Hidden Gem Alert* This was a movie that came out last year and never got a cinematic release, it's been brought out on dvd over here but kinda slipped under the radar and straight into the bargain bins. Try and find a copy, great wee film in the vein of Million Dollar Baby. I ain't gonna say no more other than i highly recommend it. Go find.

Saw Hancock today.It was a film of two halfs if ever I've seen one. The first half was very enjoyable, it had some hillarious dialogue and it was up there with the most fun I've had in a cinema this year. However, the second half really makes this film very average, you are left with so many plot holes and things going left unexplained that you can't possibly rate the film highly. There are other good films out there at the minute, see them before going to see Hancock.

Also saw Hancock last night, pretty much agree with this. Although I dont really feel the second half made it average, I just took the film for what it was: just a fun film. I really enjoyed it anyway.

just watched This Is England for the first time - did they forget to write an ending for it? The most anti-climatic experience that wasn't a wank I've ever experienced..

• Paid Members

just watched This Is England for the first time - did they forget to write an ending for it? The most anti-climatic experience that wasn't a wank I've ever experienced..

It was a bit like wasn't it. I loved the film, and it's not even something i'd usually watch, but the ending left much to be desired, SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
even to say whether or not milky would be ok or not, anything really.

The Crow : Wicked Prayer

Oh boy. Where to start. Why I was watching it might be a good idea.

I still love the first Crow movie. Even with the goth romanticism novelty wearing thin these days, its still a fun, straightfoward action movie with a bit of style. What a lot of people dont know is that three sequels followed. One of them , a 2005 The Crow meets Spaghetti Western meets Aleister Crowley straight to DVD film, was released in 2005. That being, The Crow : Wicked Prayer.

The setup is bad enough, but its the casting that kills this one. Edward Furlong is your trailer park, dog owning, scorpion eating, emo crow [emoer]. He has, in typical crow fashion, been ressurected from a fridge to do battle with a Satanic, ritualistic, Mescaline taking, hick David Boreanaz because him and his soon to be evil bride Tara Reid [Any moment with Reid on screen is only slightly less-painful than having bamboo shoots shoved under your fingernails.] murdered Edward and his soon to be non-evil bride. Why? Because, dummy, the only way for the satantic couple to get married and transform David into Lucifer himself is to pluck out the eyes of Edward's girlfriend. Oh yeah : Dennis Hopper plays a satanic hippie pimp (yes, really) named El Nino (yes, really).

Theirs no way I could make this up.

I would suggested doing what most of the main characters seem to do before watching the innevitable Film Four repeat of this - take lots of Mescaline.

Edited by Toilet Duck

• Paid Members

It was a bit like wasn't it. I loved the film, and it's not even something i'd usually watch, but the ending left much to be desired, SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
you clearly wasn't paying much attention...Shaun's mam tells you how Milky is. i don't really see what you've missed from the ending? i loved it. What kinda ending was you expecting? Shaun to go after Combo with an uzi and getting some sweet ass revenge?

• Moderators

The Crow : Wicked PrayerOh boy. Where to start. Why I was watching it might be a good idea. I still love the first Crow movie. Even with the goth romanticism novelty wearing thin these days, its still a fun, straightfoward action movie with a bit of style. What a lot of people dont know is that three sequels followed. One of them , a 2005 The Crow meets Spaghetti Western meets Aleister Crowley straight to DVD film, was released in 2005. That being, The Crow : Wicked Prayer.The setup is bad enough, but its the casting that kills this one. Edward Furlong is your trailer park, dog owning, scorpion eating, emo crow [emoer]. He has, in typical crow fashion, been ressurected from a fridge to do battle with a Satanic, ritualistic, Mescaline taking, hick David Boreanaz because him and his soon to be evil bride Tara Reid [Any moment with Reid on screen is only slightly less-painful than having bamboo shoots shoved under your fingernails.] murdered Edward and his soon to be non-evil bride. Why? Because, dummy, the only way for the satantic couple to get married and transform David into Lucifer himself is to pluck out the eyes of Edward's girlfriend. Oh yeah : Dennis Hopper plays a satanic hippie pimp (yes, really) named El Nino (yes, really).Theirs no way I could make this up.I would suggested doing what most of the main characters seem to do before watching the innevitable Film Four repeat of this - take lots of Mescaline.

You forgot to mention Tito Ortiz and the heel from Karate Kid II - who is actually the best thing about the movie by far. Edward Furlong's performance is astonishingly bad, almost unbelievably so.

• Paid Members

you clearly wasn't paying much attention...Shaun's mam tells you how Milky is. i don't really see what you've missed from the ending? i loved it. What kinda ending was you expecting? Shaun to go after Combo with an uzi and getting some sweet ass revenge?
Yeah but like she doesn't say enough in my opinion, you don't see him either, you just know he's alive. Considering the massive shit kicking he took, you'd expect a bit more than "he's alive" or whatever similar non-descriptive thing she says.

The Crow : Wicked PrayerOh boy. Where to start. Why I was watching it might be a good idea. I still love the first Crow movie. Even with the goth romanticism novelty wearing thin these days, its still a fun, straightfoward action movie with a bit of style. What a lot of people dont know is that three sequels followed. One of them , a 2005 The Crow meets Spaghetti Western meets Aleister Crowley straight to DVD film, was released in 2005. That being, The Crow : Wicked Prayer.The setup is bad enough, but its the casting that kills this one. Edward Furlong is your trailer park, dog owning, scorpion eating, emo crow [emoer]. He has, in typical crow fashion, been ressurected from a fridge to do battle with a Satanic, ritualistic, Mescaline taking, hick David Boreanaz because him and his soon to be evil bride Tara Reid [Any moment with Reid on screen is only slightly less-painful than having bamboo shoots shoved under your fingernails.] murdered Edward and his soon to be non-evil bride. Why? Because, dummy, the only way for the satantic couple to get married and transform David into Lucifer himself is to pluck out the eyes of Edward's girlfriend. Oh yeah : Dennis Hopper plays a satanic hippie pimp (yes, really) named El Nino (yes, really).Theirs no way I could make this up.I would suggested doing what most of the main characters seem to do before watching the innevitable Film Four repeat of this - take lots of Mescaline.

You forgot to mention Tito Ortiz and the heel from Karate Kid II - who is actually the best thing about the movie by far. Edward Furlong's performance is astonishingly bad, almost unbelievably so.
The acting is not the problem. The problem is that for all intents and purposes , Edward Furlong is a midget who is about as physicaly imposing as Funkai. And this is the man who plays a living dead, shit kicking, goth avenger with a penchant for martial arts and leather.How did they expect anybody to buy it? It is tantamount to putting Barney in a Twiggy Ramirez costume. Edited by Toilet Duck

Yeah but like she doesn't say enough in my opinion, you don't see him either, you just know he's alive. Considering the massive shit kicking he took, you'd expect a bit more than "he's alive" or whatever similar non-descriptive thing she says.
It's not "Free Willy". You don't need a huge 'Whoohoo! He's alive!' scene.