DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

The Wicker man is essential viewing. The aforementioned bees thing is so, so great. Someone talking through a horrible ordeal automatically makes it funny. Homer Simpson "Stop pummelling me! It's really painful!" Lenny "Ow my eye! I'm not supposed to get pudding in it!" etc. It's a classic comedic move. Why they thought it'd be appropriate for Nic to do it whilst enduring one of cinema's most horrible and iconic deaths is beyond me.

I watched Hancock on Friday. First 40 minutes or so were brilliant, didn't really like the direction it took later on but it was still entertaining and Will Smith is disgustingly watchable. Was nice to see Will Smith cutting loose a bit with the dick behaviour and liberal swearing.

Also saw Eastern Promises yesterday. Quite a grim story, brutal at times but a good watch. Russian crime families are so damn cool. I don't think that was the message though.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

After some pestering, I watched Signs by M. Night sham... etc.. last evening, expecting a meta critical film.. or at least a film with many hidden layers and morals and meaning.

Really? Have you ever watched an M. Night Shyamalan movie before? I fucking hated Signs; at it's best, it was just intelligence insulting. At it's worst, it rammed it moral subplot home with a baseball bat and at every point you thought it might do something interesting, it went down the cliche route instead.All that being said, I'm starting think I'm far more easily pleased than I used to be. Even as recently as when Signs came out, I could usually pick holes in most things I saw. In the last two days, I saw Hancock and finally got around to seeing Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Both of which got almost universally derided by most of my friends, both of which I enjoyed pretty much all of the way through. So let's see just if I can now make it sound like I hated both of them to make myself feel better about it.Hancock was okay. There was nothing wrong with it and it stayed within its own range of logic. The main problem, to me, was that it felt like it never really got going. I kept expecting it start being a much more indepth film that it actually was. I disagree with the previous poster who said it started off like it was a serious drama - at no point did I really get that impression at all - but given how much depth has been given to superhero films recently, given the absolute dream of a drunk, almost unwilling superhero, they didn't really do much with it. What they did do was okay, but over all the film left me wanting more. Perhaps they were purposefully building towards a sequel or prequel but a sequel wouldn't make the most of the character and going by what was given of the back story, I don't know how well a prequel would work.SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
The only thing that really bothered me though; what the fuck was up with the wife? She threw the guy through the wall before saying she never wanted her powers to be found out about and then got all dressed and made up in black and wrecked half the city. Surely there was a more subtle way to go about that? It was only thing I really found myself questioning, though.Indy was great for what it was. It being Indy, there were, of course, very over the top and questionable bits but overall the film was nothing but entertaining all the way through. That being said, the alien involvement seemed a bit out of place and, if they were trying to cash in on the audience, about ten years too late. I really liked the temple though, seemed very well though out. Two things that took me out of the story though were the bit where they found some cave paintings and Indy said they were 4000 years old... yet they were right next to a waterfall - surely there would have been some kind of damp damage in that time? Also, Ray Winstone's character could have done with a bit more developmentSPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
as I really didn't give a fuck when he died. Edited by elegia

• Paid Members

After some pestering, I watched Signs by M. Night sham... etc.. last evening, expecting a meta critical film.. or at least a film with many hidden layers and morals and meaning.

Hancock was okay. There was nothing wrong with it and it stayed within its own range of logic. The main problem, to me, was that it felt like it never really got going. I kept expecting it start being a much more indepth film that it actually was. I disagree with the previous poster who said it started off like it was a serious drama - at no point did I really get that impression at all - but given how much depth has been given to superhero films recently, given the absolute dream of a drunk, almost unwilling superhero, they didn't really do much with it. What they did do was okay, but over all the film left me wanting more. Perhaps they were purposefully building towards a sequel or prequel but a sequel wouldn't make the most of the character and going by what was given of the back story, I don't know how well a prequel would work.Indy was great for what it was. It being Indy, there were, of course, very over the top and questionable bits but overall the film was nothing but entertaining all the way through. That being said, the alien involvement seemed a bit out of place and, if they were trying to cash in on the audience, about ten years too late. I really liked the temple though, seemed very well though out. Two things that took me out of the story though were the bit where they found some cave paintings and Indy said they were 4000 years old... yet they were right next to a waterfall - surely there would have been some kind of damp damage in that time? Also, Ray Winstone's character could have done with a bit more developmentSPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
as I really didn't give a fuck when he died.
Sorry mate, my fault I didn't make myself clear. I meant that the actual idea behind Hancock seems to have started off as a serious drama, Emotionally damaged Super Hero, Alcoholic etc and they seem to have shoe horned a lot of other ideas into to make it more of a 'blockbuster' movie. The slapstick head up the arse elements of the film don't seem to fit in with the more dramatic pieces of the film and it feels like a film of two halves. Actually read after i posted my original message that it was floating around Hollywood in a totally different, much darker form for a number of years before it got made which seems to make a lot of sense.I think Indiana Jones was great but was let down by the Alien storyline, just seems a bit far removed from the other films, even saying they were gods and just hinted that they were Aliens would have fitted in with the previous Indy stories a bit better

Really? Have you ever watched an M. Night Shyamalan movie before? I fucking hated Signs; at it's best, it was just intelligence insulting. At it's worst, it rammed it moral subplot home with a baseball bat and at every point you thought it might do something interesting, it went down the cliche route instead.
Yeah, watched Sixth Sense, Unbreakable (quite liked, not brilliant like but ok) and The Village (shudders), But had been pestered upon high to watch this.. As in YOU really must as it soo deep..Not as in a steaming Pile of Donkey Balls by the numbers, Field of Dreams rip. I want the running time back as I could have done something more productive, like watch paint dry.. BollocksCant remember if I Put me Killer Sheep review on here, other than to say i thought it was ace, reminded me very much of Bad Taste, and Dog Soldiers and while it isnt the best film in the world and the sfx arent the great. Made I laugh, lots. worth a watch to anyone who wants too turn brain off and enjoyAlsoWatched King of Kong, found it to be enthralling.. though am I wrong for saying Steve's Wife is Fit and she she would get itDespite all that iam still shit at Donkey Kong Grrr Edited by patdfb

Films myself and the Wife have rented from Blockbuster recently include Butterfly on a Wheel, which I enjoyed for its non stop thrills, spills and twists 'n' turns. Also, Cloverfield was an entertaining diversion, even though it was ridiculously short, had a dumb ending and made you feel sick most of the time (due to the shaky camera movements and explosions).Going to try and see 'Narnia' and ... *shudder* ... 'Mama Mia' this weekend. Oh, that'll be fun. If only I could take my portable DVD player and some NOAH DVD's into the cinema. :/

Really? Have you ever watched an M. Night Shyamalan movie before? I fucking hated Signs; at it's best, it was just intelligence insulting. At it's worst, it rammed it moral subplot home with a baseball bat and at every point you thought it might do something interesting, it went down the cliche route instead.

I went to the pictures to see Signs, and loved it. I'm not sure what has happened between then and now, but it certainly has changed my opinion on this.I still like a couple of the scenes in the movie and find them pretty scary. I'm not one to care about having intelligence insulted during movies or anything. I just want to be entertained. However, this is just tedious boring shite.

After some pestering, I watched Signs by M. Night sham... etc.. last evening, expecting a meta critical film.. or at least a film with many hidden layers and morals and meaning. Instead, I got some fucking shit 1950's B Movie Rip off starring Mel Gibson and Wahkeen PhoenixFor Allegories and the such. See the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers w/ Kevin McCarthy.. The Day the Earth stood Still etc.... Morals.... Forbidden Planet

:laugh:

seen 3 movies and they been pretty good1st The Mist-was a really fucking good movie stephen king at his best. basically it just centres around people who are trapped in a supermarket which is surounded by mist (which has creatures in it)2nd dark floors- the movie which features the band lordi as the monsters. basically a man trys to take his daughter out of the hospital but it all goes wrong and the ghost come out. if i didn't know who lordi was i would have believe it was an awesome movie but i know who lordi are and they aren't scary. the mummy is propalby the best ghost/monster. was still goodand3rd the wicker man-i watched the new one on sky movies. i read the reviews on amazon and though it was going to be shit but i actually like it. i never saw the oringal but this movie was pretty good i can't understand th bad reviews i could think of loads of worse movies

• Paid Members

Just caught The Elephant Man bar the first 30 minutes. A damn good film with some unexpected appearances. Michael Elphick played a bastard so well, to the point that I was almost glad he's dead. I'm not though, so no telling off.One thing that really struck me was how well it had been filmed/edited to give the feel of a really old film (it was filmed in black and white in 1980). Had I not known who any of the actors were, I could've sworn the film was made a good 50 years ago, at least.

Just caught The Elephant Man bar the first 30 minutes. A damn good film with some unexpected appearances. Michael Elphick played a bastard so well, to the point that I was almost glad he's dead. I'm not though, so no telling off.One thing that really struck me was how well it had been filmed/edited to give the feel of a really old film (it was filmed in black and white in 1980). Had I not known who any of the actors were, I could've sworn the film was made a good 50 years ago, at least.

Wait, What?1980 are you serious? I remember watching it years ago and thinking this film was fucking old like 1940s shit. Really didn't know it was the 1980s