DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Just caught The Elephant Man bar the first 30 minutes. A damn good film with some unexpected appearances. Michael Elphick played a bastard so well, to the point that I was almost glad he's dead. I'm not though, so no telling off.One thing that really struck me was how well it had been filmed/edited to give the feel of a really old film (it was filmed in black and white in 1980). Had I not known who any of the actors were, I could've sworn the film was made a good 50 years ago, at least.

Wait, What?1980 are you serious? I remember watching it years ago and thinking this film was fucking old like 1940s shit. Really didn't know it was the 1980s
John Hurt is just awesome in that film.On a side note, I was always stunned when I found out it was Mel Brooks pet project and he intentionally left his name off the credits so people would take it seriously

I just watch "The Mist" tonight. Weird film, seemed very dated to me. I felt like I was watching a film along the same time period as "Alien" or "The Thing" This is likely creditable to Stephen King.

It was ok, but being the 21st century I think it wasn't memorable. **1/2 / *****

• Paid Members

Just caught The Elephant Man bar the first 30 minutes. A damn good film with some unexpected appearances. Michael Elphick played a bastard so well, to the point that I was almost glad he's dead. I'm not though, so no telling off.One thing that really struck me was how well it had been filmed/edited to give the feel of a really old film (it was filmed in black and white in 1980). Had I not known who any of the actors were, I could've sworn the film was made a good 50 years ago, at least.

Wait, What?1980 are you serious? I remember watching it years ago and thinking this film was fucking old like 1940s shit. Really didn't know it was the 1980s
John Hurt is just awesome in that film.
John Hurt is also awesome in that "Champions" film about Bob Champion. Love that bloody film...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085320/Available very cheap ( Edited by bAzTNM

3rd the wicker man-i watched the new one on sky movies. i read the reviews on amazon and though it was going to be shit but i actually like it. i never saw the oringal but this movie was pretty good i can't understand th bad reviews i could think of loads of worse movies

A mate of mine was of the same thinking as you, once I'd lent him the original his opinion of the remake changed dramatically and he realised what a complete piece of shit the remake is.

• Paid Members

i was gonna chuck this in the documentary thread but i can't find it...

Sharkwater - absolute must-see documemtary. It starts off as a film about misconception of sharks but ends up uncovering the shocking shark trade finning industry. This film throws staggering facts at you and is very disturbing, but totally enthralling. This changed my opinion on sharks and opened my eyes up about a complete travesty that's going on pretty much beyond the knowledge of everyone. Search for this.

• Paid Members

John Hurt is just awesome in that film.
John Hurt is also awesome in that "Champions" film about Bob Champion. Love that bloody film...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085320/Available very cheap (

A mate of mine was of the same thinking as you, once I'd lent him the original his opinion of the remake changed dramatically and he realised what a complete piece of shit the remake is.

Even as an avid fan of the original, I tried to take the remake as a stand alone movie. I don't like it when people like remakes untill they've seen the original. A good movie is a good movie.Unfortunately, The Wicker Man is just utter balls.

• Paid Members

Anybody got any good recommendations for movies? I'm downloading a shit load of films and I want a few "unknown" greats, any ideas?

Any particular genre or era? I mean what do you like/dislike?Seventh Seal is tremendous for instance but I wouldn't want to recommend it with out know what you like.

Everyone will love both of the films I have just reccomended.

I liked Next although the ending didn't make senseSPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
How in the fuck did he for see the entire event in the harbour then the Nuke going off if he could only see two minuts ahead?Not seen in the name of the king I'll give that a look and DEF I'm not really a fan of any particular genre or era as I've found that if it's a good film with a good plot and at least half decent acting, I'll enjoy it.Might give seventh seal a go.By the way is In the name of the King a movie from last year? Edited by Steveo2007