WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, that fatality in MK4 is the absolute pinnacle of the MK series and, in my view, their greatest contribution to videogaming.

I agree that the MK characters and lore are generally very cool (Stryker, Kabal and some other lamers excluded), but for me it got to the point that I found the games so boring and restrictive to play that I had to drop it. I enjoy it up to MK4 (oh, and Shaolin Monks on co-op is a ton of fun), but after that it's a pretty miserable excuse for a fighting game.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
I think the important point you're missing is that Mortal Kombat is shit, and the only reason people play it is to see the fun, stupid and/or gruesome moves.

That's why I played it the first couple of times, but by MK3 - for my sins - I was actually interested in the characters and storylines behind the gore. The plot all got a bit silly towards the end of the last gen though.

However, Quan Chi's rip-their-leg-off-and-beat-them-with-it Fatality is the best thing since Baraka accidentally invented sliced bread.

Fair enough.. I didn't consider that. I've never cared about a story line in a fighting game before, and it has never been important to me.

But the gameplay is undeniably much more primitive than any incarnation of Street Fighter, and I would argue objectively rubbish, but that latter statement is probably a little more inflammatory.

For reference - when I was a kid I had a megadrive and not a SNES and I was all about Mortal Kombat.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
Fair enough.. I didn't consider that. I've never cared about a story line in a fighting game before, and it has never been important to me.

See, alongside unlockable fighters storyline is the most important thing to me in a fighting game. That's why I never really liked the Virtua Fighter games, I never felt like I got any rewards for my efforts. Why should I bother completing the game ith every fighter if I get nothing to show for it? I like ending movies and hidden characters...

So on that note would I enjoy Street Fighter IV?

• Moderators

It has a different story line video thing at the start for each character, and you get one at the end too when you complete it with them. I've never watched any of them though so I can't tell you if they're good. And there are several unlockable characters as you may already know.

• Paid Members

Playing Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen at the moment. Enjoying. IronHide is the most fun to play with. Love the Special ability he has. Allowing him to deploy remote turret gun that picks enemies off for you. Breakaway the Arielbot I find frustrating to play with. The otheres Prime , Bublebee and Ratchet are ok. Haven't tried the Decepticon missons yet.

I think the important point you're missing is that Mortal Kombat is shit, and the only reason people play it is to see the fun, stupid and/or gruesome moves.

That's why I played it the first couple of times, but by MK3 - for my sins - I was actually interested in the characters and storylines behind the gore. The plot all got a bit silly towards the end of the last gen though.

However, Quan Chi's rip-their-leg-off-and-beat-them-with-it Fatality is the best thing since Baraka accidentally invented sliced bread.

But the gameplay is undeniably much more primitive than any incarnation of Street Fighter, and I would argue objectively rubbish, but that latter statement is probably a little more inflammatory.

For reference - when I was a kid I had a megadrive and not a SNES and I was all about Mortal Kombat.

I dunno, MK2 kicks the shit out of SF1.

in all seriousness, MK gameplay can be deep, there are all sorts of cool combo's in the arcade versions, nerfed for home ports, then along came MK3, who, along with the double cheap AI from previous incarnations, could also run and 10-hit combo you into the ground, seemingly at will.

that kind of "no learning curve, it's just fucking vertical" put me off MK until 4, and I have enjoyed the recent 3D efforts, with the exception of MK/DC.

Shaolin Monks is still the nest MK of the last generation though, just wish it was longer.

• Paid Members
What are the chaNCES of Tatsunoku vs. Capcom coming over here

Capcom are making a Western version already. Some changes in characters though.

Yeah, bit miffed about it to be honest. I just thought, of all the vs. games and all the recent Wii releases, that one would be the least likely of them all to get a European release. So I imported the Japanese version. Now I see the amazing Western port with Frank West from Dead Rising and it makes me envious. Still, I've had my fun with the Jp version for a while and I wouldn't have waited this long to play it, so meh.

• Paid Members

So Ryo Hazuki is in that new Sega Superstar Racing game (which is looking pretty spiffing actually). That's cool, but people need to stop using screenshots from it and making joke threads called "SHENMUE III !"

It's not funny, it hurts. Stop it. :angry:

• Paid Members

The worst culprit in MK AI history is Jade. Every single time you jump at her without fail she will jump up and kick you out of the air. She's some sort of super god on Ultimate MK3 for the Live Arcade.

Sega are absolute bastards to include him while denying any future for the series. If they can acknowledge that he's a popular character from a worthy franchise, why not complete the Shenmue saga instead of mocking its fans this way? Either sweep him under the rug or don't. This is just cruel.

I actually did some really minor freelance work on that Sega Superstars Racing game, and I still have one question - if Tails has a fucking plane, why follow the course along with the rest of them?

Incidentally, re: the MK v SF discussion above. All your bases are belong to Tekken.

See, alongside unlockable fighters storyline is the most important thing to me in a fighting game.

Same here and thats why it saddens me to see the Soul Calibur series being dumbed down and raped in recent years, SCI - III are my favorite fighters of all time yet SCIV is only just enjoyable and I have already given up on the PSP game.

Seeing the character bios stripped down to almost nothing for example broke my heart sad twat that I am and don't even get me started on how the single player modes have been treated :(

Tale of Souls mode in SCIII is my favorite mix of story and arcade mode in a fighting game.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members
I actually did some really minor freelance work on that Sega Superstars Racing game, and I still have one question - if Tails has a fucking plane, why follow the course along with the rest of them?

Incidentally, re: the MK v SF discussion above. All your bases are belong to Tekken.

Tekken is good but not SF good. Top level Tekken matches are just two people trading absurd memorised juggle combos. I'll still be getting Tekken 6 mind.

As for the sonic racing thing, presumably Sonic can run faster than any of the vehicles too if we're picking holes. I'm guessing Tails follows the track because them's the rules of the race. Sonic R allowed characters to navigate the courses differently depending on their specific abilities though.