WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the fuck do we have DC vs. Mortal Kombat!

Why dont they just give us an offical Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter game already!

Because unless you had entirely different control schemes for the two sets of fighters you woudl produce a game that completely alienated one set of fans by completely ruining their favoured characters?

You may as well campaign for a FIFA vs Madden game. It would probably produce just as satisfying results.

• Paid Members

It'd have to play like Streetfighter, primarily because MK's gameplay is unorthodox utterly shit.

They managed to integrate the KOF and SF playing styles relatively well into Capcom vs SNK (less so in SNK vs Capcom), but MK's gameplay is an entirely different beast.

It'd make the MK characters better by giving them a more fluid and varied set of offense, whereas doing it the otherway would make SF's gameplay regress by about 15 years.

• Paid Members

Oh the inputs aren't outrageously different, but the engine is so clunky and restrictive that making SF characters abide by it would be like putting them in strait-jackets. Stupid canned animations and dial-a-combos abound. MK vs. DC was a fun novelty but the gameplay was horribly primitive.

I played Need For Speed : Shift for the first time the other night. Since it was my first time I was absolutely shite, but there was only three people in the online race and I earned my mate an online win and $20,000 even though I was so bad that the game started telling me to "HURRY UP" before kicking me off.

I still liked it though. Had a good laugh at not even being able to get around the simplest of corners.

Oh the inputs aren't outrageously different, but the engine is so clunky and restrictive that making SF characters abide by it would be like putting them in strait-jackets. Stupid canned animations and dial-a-combos abound. MK vs. DC was a fun novelty but the gameplay was horribly primitive.

Surely we're "next gen" enough by now to let the different sets of characters abide by their own laws? Would it really be necessary for Ken and Ryu to "straightjacket" themselves into the MK engine, or for Scorpion and Sub-Zero to be "ruined" by SF's? Have one bunch behave one way, and their rivals behave another. Two different styles should be able to co-exist in the same game on current technology.

Come on now, the controls aren't that different. Slightly adjust things like blocking and they're near enough the same, with your standard "down, down-right, right, low punch" combos.

Thats a bit like saying that saying your 8 times table outloud isn't that different to doing the same with the 786 times table. At the end of the day it's just multiplication isn't it?

• Paid Members

Surely we're "next gen" enough by now to let the different sets of characters abide by their own laws? Would it really be necessary for Ken and Ryu to "straightjacket" themselves into the MK engine, or for Scorpion and Sub-Zero to be "ruined" by SF's? Have one bunch behave one way, and their rivals behave another. Two different styles should be able to co-exist in the same game on current technology.

Nah, it'd be impossible to make it balanced in any workable way. Try playing MK characters vs SF characters in Mugen. It's a mildly amusing novelty but it absolutely doesn't work as a fighting game. MK characters would have tonnes of moves that knocked down, SF characters wouldn't, the links/combos from each side would be all messed up. Having a block button vs holding backwards to block is a huuuuuuge difference in terms of switching between attack/defense and the whole pace of the game has to fit one or the other. You couldn't have a game at SF's pace if you needed to press a separate button to guard. They'd play at different speeds using entirely different gameplay mechanics that don't mesh at all and it would be horrible.

King of Fighters and SF have fundamentally different gameplay mechanics and it meant that Capcom vs SNK required a massive compromise to work. Essentially the KOF people were all forced to play like SF characters, then in the reverse game (SNK vs Capcom), all the SF characters were re-drawn, re-animated and given SNK-style mechanics. The former worked a lot better than the latter, but the point is that one side had to give in each game for it to be remotely viable as a concept. Similarly, for X-Men vs SF/Marvel vs Capcom etc, all the SF characters had to abide by the Marvel games' mental rules (chain combos, launchers, uber jumps, air-blocking, giant supers/specials) for it to work. If Ryu was just Ryu from SF Alpha 2 in that game he'd be useless.

I think people underestimate how finely tuned and utterly ingenious a great fighting game engine/system is. Mashing two massively different ones together simply doesn't work.

I think the important point you're missing is that Mortal Kombat is shit, and the only reason people play it is to see the fun, stupid and/or gruesome moves.

That's why I played it the first couple of times, but by MK3 - for my sins - I was actually interested in the characters and storylines behind the gore. The plot all got a bit silly towards the end of the last gen though.

However, Quan Chi's rip-their-leg-off-and-beat-them-with-it Fatality is the best thing since Baraka accidentally invented sliced bread.