Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Viz magazine is one of the best things this country has ever produced and has brought me countless hours of joy. Mostly while having a big shit. I still find hidden gems when looking at old issues, most recently Benjamin Britten and his Embittered Bittern, which I managed to miss the first time around. 

What are your favourite strips, segments etc. 

Hard to top the below.

image.thumb.png.c3e655dd11b40152345421d1ed6bdb27.png

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

Mickey's Monkey Spunk Moped. I may have completely misremembered this, but I recall a Roger Mellie one where he decided that Michael Barrymore coming out as gay had improved his career and decided to follow suit. But I can find no mention of it whatsoever anywhere, which is puzzling. Anyone else remember it?

Edited by Tamura
  • Paid Members
Posted

I havent's bought an issue in years, but I do pick up the annual. I managed to get one of my Profanisaurus submissions published, and it's in the latest big volume of the Profanisaurus as well. The entry in question is Eight Seven Two,

Posted (edited)

I feel like I do vaguely remember Roger Mellie turning gay, but fuck knows which issue it might have been in. I stupidly got rid of my entire collection when I moved house a few years ago, and very much wish I hadn't. I've got a stack of annuals but a big cumbersome hardback isn't the same as a random back issue when perched on the throne.

There were two other Mickey's Monkey Spunk Moped appearances which, along with Wacky Racists (wasn't even sure if I dared type that one out...), were some of my favourites. I don't think they'll ever top Take A Shit though.

spacer.png

Edited by CAREBEAR LUVVA
  • Paid Members
Posted

@Tamura I think my favourite two Roger Mellie stories are the one where he's on Bargain Hunt, and can't quite get the cheeky family friendly banter right until Tom tells him it's a daytime show, to which he replies "oh, why didn't you tell me? I can piss daytime out of my arse." makes it huge, and then the last panel is him getting home to a corpse being fished out of his swimming pool.

The other one is the one where he's doing to debt management line advert and in reply to the call centre operative telling him about the circumstances of the caller he says "I hope you told him to fuck off, love" Then at the end after he's been replaced by somebody a bit more family friendly Bernard Manning is doing the advert and the call centre operator says "we've got Mr Mellie on the line who needs £250,000 to deal with gambling debt" and Manning replies "I hope you told him to fuck off." Brilliant stuff.

  • Moderators
Posted

I used to get a Viz subscription delivered to the US. Nothing makes you feel more British than reading Viz, truly the pinnacle of Britishism. An american pal of mine once saw it and thought it was a comic book and it totally broke his brain when he flicked through it. Drunken Bakers totally broke him, was disgusted and just couldn't understand how it could be considered humour, and he thought I was some Andrew Tate MAGA nutter after seeing The Fat Slags.

  • Paid Members
Posted

They’ve been popping up in my Reddit algorithm the last few weeks and continue to do so when I keep reading them all. 
 

 

IMG_3793.jpeg

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I've always greatly enjoyed Roger Irrelevant for some daft Pythonesque nonsense. 

And for something far darker but still somehow funny, the Drunken Bakers cartoons are quite the artistic achievement. 

rogerirrelevant.jpeg

drunkenbakers.jpeg

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest
Posted (edited)

And one of their characters got a movie! It even had Jerry O'Connell who gets brain damage in it and then falls head over heels in love with The Fat Slags. 

I often wonder WHY he was in it. What was he thinking when his agent offered him "Fat Slags"

Edited by TheScarlettChad
  • Paid Members
Posted

I’ll let you lot suggest the many brilliant and clever entries - my suggestion is slightly more route one - nothing gets a snort out of me quite like Rude Kid.  To this day I’ll utter the phrase “SOAPY TIT WANK!” when frustrated or disappointed (despite having no idea what it meant the first time I read it!)

IMG-1755.png

and of course, who could forget the wonderful Up The Arse Corner. Whilst not an official entry (oo-er) this might simply be my favourite thing ever, Viz or otherwise.

IMG-1756.jpg


 

Posted
8 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

And one of their characters got a movie! It even had Jerry O'Connell who gets brain damage in it and then falls head over heels in love with The Fat Slags. 

I often wonder WHY he was in it. What was he thinking when his agent offered him "Fat Slags"

Terrible film, but it had a catchy as fuck tune on the DVD menu screen. Again, terrible quality, but this is the best I can find.

 

On the other hand, Chubby Arse from the stop-motion Fat Slags video is fantastic. Can't promise it'll be worth messing about signing in to watch this video though 😄

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...