DavidB6937 Posted March 17 Posted March 17 I think her being very whingy and negative about her previous wrestling run didn't do her any favours. She's not someone that comes across as loving the business and that anyone would be excited to see pop up. As others have said, she seems incredibly thin skinned and runs the risk of just getting upset again. Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 17 Posted March 17 If she's here to basically be a short term programme because Toni Storm is one of their top stars and thus should always have important things to do then I'm good with it. Thekla is great and I think a decent memorable title run it's worth it for cementing her as a star, then you've got the potentail storyline where Mercedes Mone loses all her belts before winning the big one (possibly as a face) and right now that seems a great storyline to tell. So yeah, I think Toni should be out of the title scene for a while (even possibly doing Owen/All In 2027). I get that Rousey isn't really the big media presence she was but she certainly has some vague aura to her (possibly only because I've never seen any of her wrestling work ). If she's literally brought in as a special attraction for Toni to defeat I think it's pretty strong idea. Regarding the fact she's a massive dickhead. I don't think that's necessarily changed but some googling around (as others have pointed out) as she's apologised for the more reprehensible things she's said. I do think one has to accept a seemingly genuine apology as such. I'm all for calling people out for saying terrible shitty things but if they appear to reflect and change then I think you've got to try and accept it. Otherwise we're really just being the performatively angry people the right suggest we are... I'm angry because I want change not just to be angry Also two more thoughts Deathmatches are great as a spectable as part of a big card. I'm sorry if you don't like them but yeah, as long as their not overdone they actively add to my enjoyment of AEW I'm gonna sound a bit condecending but I'd thoroughly advise all those who find the shows to be too long to just skip some. With wrestling it's pretty obvious where the important/good stuff is gonna be. I wanted to watch the full show last night and due to work/my desire not to be sleep deprived I had to make the show fit 4 hours. Couple of matches I just skipped the middle half. The show played significantly better for it I feel. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 4 hours ago, organizedkaos said: I'm gonna sound a bit condecending but I'd thoroughly advise all those who find the shows to be too long to just skip some. With wrestling it's pretty obvious where the important/good stuff is gonna be. I wanted to watch the full show last night and due to work/my desire not to be sleep deprived I had to make the show fit 4 hours. Couple of matches I just skipped the middle half. The show played significantly better for it I feel. That’s sort of my issue here - they dilute potentially brilliant shows by expanding them unnecessarily. If they were to space out the content, running some of these matches on Dynamite, Collision or even the next PPV every show would benefit. I do skip stuff, but I much prefer to be in a situation where I can finish a full show and think ‘that didn’t feel like 3/4 hours’. 4 hours ago, organizedkaos said: Deathmatches are great as a spectable as part of a big card. I'm sorry if you don't like them but yeah, as long as their not overdone they actively add to my enjoyment of AEW Quoting your points in the wrong order here, but I do think AEW overdoes this match style. Even if they didn’t, I’ll admit to it not being my cup of tea. Quote
The King Of Swing Posted March 17 Posted March 17 Highlight of Texas Death was Hangman walking MJF back to the ring, like a dog. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 (edited) There was a moment watching this where I thought to myself "this show is cracking, maybe one of their best events yet" then I checked and saw there was TWO AND A HALF FUCKING HOURS LEFT. Anyway, my thoughts: - loved that they had a Turnstile song as the theme. More modern music and not the same old nu metal butt rock is only a good thing. - the show looked fantastic. Amazing they can put on something so high end looking while also putting out some seriously low rent looking weekly TV shows. I actually quite liked the crowd shots. I wouldn't mind if they kept doing it, personally. - Bucks/FTR was probably the best match of theirs they've had. I think because instead of doing a "THIS IS AWESOME" type forced epic they actually focused on scrappy fighting and getting real crowd heat. As per usual they had a perfect opportunity to finish but then went for another 5-10 minutes of near falls. - not a fan of Cope but as he's finishing up in October I'm very OK with a final fun E&C run. I'm guessing an FTR match for the titles at Dynasty, a match against the Bucks at Double or Nothing then a three way TLC at All In. I could dig that. Hopefully they do loads of comedy and not super serious Copeland snarling. - I could easily make a case for Toni Storm as being the best and most complete professional wrestler in the world right now. The match with Shafir was excellent and Shafir more than held her own. She's so goddamn good at trash talking and working the crowd. I'm fine with the Rousey stuff as it's a good bit of spectacle, I enjoyed her WWE run (I only saw the first year of it) and have paid no attention to her weird personality and views. I hope she's coming in to do the job, though! - Takeshita/Mox was a masterful match and probably the best match of the show. The turning tide was so convincing that I was heartbroken that Takeshita lost. He felt unstoppable by the end of this. Tony, you've got to go all the way with him at some point! There were three 1 count kickouts on this show - the Takeshita one was the only one that actually worked. Definitely the wrong result but incredibly enjoyable none the less. - the Ospreay return was cool. However so much happened on this never ending show that I forgot all about it by the end. Too much of a good thing is the theme of the night. - Womens tag titles was a perfectly acceptable bit of business and a breather. Instead of Divine Dominion as their tag name they should have gone with Death by Snu Snu. - I enjoyed how in Swerve/Brody the focus of both men using the ring itself as the main offensive weapon throughout their match. Gave it a unique feeling and loads of creative opportunities. - Omega's return was one too many. Of the five matches on the show so far four of them had a post match return/debut. Save some of the good stuff for telly, lads! - Thekla/Statlander was my runner up MOTN. It was a close decision. Every match these two have had has been a cracker. They've got great in ring chemistry. Thekla looks the business with that title. I love her. A hard hitting rough bout filled with struggle. I could watch ten more of these. - Mistico's music is so brilliant. Take note, wrestlers! Unique theme music is so much more impactful than generic "bad ass" rock. The music alone gets Mistico over as a legend. - Kyle Fletcher's music is awful. - Didn't love this match. Just felt like a bunch of fancy stuff with little structure. Davis looked really impressive throughout though. - the post match announcement was a nice touch. Made me emotional seeing how much the Mexican fans love this guy. Can't believe he was Sin Cara! - I absolutely LOVED Bandido's Super Dragon tribute gear. He was one of my favourites back in the day and the impact he's had on modern wrestling is massively overlooked. I hope he's doing OK, wherever he is. - Andrade/Bandido was enjoyable but very much a "THIS IS AWESOME" type match rather than something emotionally engaging. It would help if Andrade could decide whether he's a face or a heel! His spinning elbow is such a brutal looking strike - I have no idea why it isn't his finisher! It's his best move! - Tornado Trios was good action even though I don't rate The Dogs at all - they suck! But Darby, Orange Cassidy and Strong were on top form and dragged a decent match out of them. Doesn't say much about the companies faith in The Dogs that they lost their first PPV match as a team. Hopefully it's their last! Absolute try hard boring phonies these twats. Gabe Kidd is AN ABSOLUTE MAD MAN in case you hadn't picked up on it. - both entrances for the main event were utterly fantastic. Sadly they peaked their! - main event was what it was. The story going in just wasn't there and Hangman Page felt ice cold going in. The match had a lot of great action but it was also 45 minutes long and it felt like half of it was them looking for stuff under the ring. Also a bunch of spots I feel like I have seen multiple times recently - think I've seen about 15 Dead Eyes off the apron through a table in the past year. The mix of extremely real brutality with gimmicky explosions was a weird tonal shift. I think the best stuff in this was the character based stuff rather than the spotty stuff. I basically grew up on early 2000s CZW so the really gnarly stuff doesn't really faze me but I can understand why people are sick of it. By the end I was fairly desperate for it to be over but I've got to give it to them - it was a fantastic finish. Hangman full of confidence with victory in sight getting it abruptly taken from him, his dreams crashing down in mere seconds as the life was choked out of him with blood splattered all over the camera. That's pure pro wrestling, folks! Edited March 17 by LaGoosh Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 Only bit of Goosh that I really disagree with is about The Dogs. I think they'd be at least OK if they fucked off Gabe Kidd. Also I hated the stipulation for Mox/Takeshita. When its one of the USPs of the belt to change it should be a big deal. This hadn't been built enough. It was just Mox wanting to do an epic bit of shit. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 (edited) 14 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said: nly bit of Goosh that I really disagree with is about The Dogs. I think they'd be at least OK if they fucked off Gabe Kidd I was ok with Clark Connors until that bit in his entrance where he lit a match for no reason then it immediately went out. Looked like a right plonker. Finlay seems like a boring bastard. Edited March 17 by LaGoosh Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 12 hours ago, BomberPat said: the agenting is shocking. Aside from the one-count kick-outs, there were biting spots in four or five matches, and in most of them it was the babyface doing the biting! And given that there were four matches followed up with surprise appearances, why on Earth did they book those matches to happen back-to-back? Bizarre idea. When, 120 minutes into the show, there had already been four 1-count kickouts & four consecutive suprise appearances after the match, my immediate thought was "I bet BomberPat is bloody raging about the agenting here". I know the history of the association and basis of the name come from New Japan, but two of the many problems with The Dogs for me are that a) it's a shit name for a stable & b) they're really ill-fitting as a group, best I can see. I don't see why those 3 blokes would be hanging out. Or at least why Finlay & Connors would be hanging out with Gabe Kidd. Or indeed why anyone would be hanging out with Gabe Kidd. Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 17 Posted March 17 4 hours ago, LaGoosh said: I basically grew up on early 2000s CZW so the really gnarly stuff doesn't really faze me but I can understand why people are sick of it. Ha I was thinking a similar thing, having been brought up on CZW and IWA-MS tapes a ridiculous ultraviolent brawl as final match just feels part of the spectacle of a wrestling show (although monthly would get a bit much). Do realise if you don't like that style it must be difficult cos it tends to revolve around the main event scene but yeah it kind of works for me even in this situation where it felt more like this ridiculous endurance something to prove match rather than hate filled fued ender.. Quote
burchybabi Posted March 18 Posted March 18 6 hours ago, LaGoosh said: Finlay seems like a boring bastard. On that note… Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted March 18 Paid Members Posted March 18 11 hours ago, LaGoosh said: There was a moment watching this where I thought to myself "this show is cracking, maybe one of their best events yet" then I checked and saw there was TWO AND A HALF FUCKING HOURS LEFT. This is exactly where I am with this show, having to take a breather. I got up to Kenny Omega’s return, was blown away with all the amazing action and crazy amounts of surprises, couldn’t remember how many matches were left, assumed it was probably time for the main event, but then I checked. I’m not even half way through. Absolutely fucking mental. Distilled billionaire excess. Like trying to squeeze Super J Cup 94, Heat Wave 98, Canadian Stampede and Wrestlemania 17 into a single show. We now cut live to Tony Khan having a light, mid-morning snack. Half-time thoughts…. Show looks amazing. Doing TV in those smaller, weirder venues makes it all the more impressive when they manage to sell out these huge arenas. Bright, colourful, awesome. Another pay per view starting with the pre-show match bleeding over, with guys hitting crazy high spots as the fireworks go off. Is that the third straight time they’ve done it? Funniest booker of all time. Incredible Tag Title match. Match of the Year candidate. Easily the best match between FTR and The Bucks. That spot where Nick Jackson dives onto Big Stoke in the wheelchair was hilarious. The Young Bucks are so fucking good. You assume Cope and Christian have already pencilled them in as their retirement match. They won’t find anyone better. Toni Storm working miracles with Marina. Easily Shafir’s best singles match. Loved the post-fight angle with Ronda. Had a real Tyson/Austin or Mayweather/Big Show chaotic energy about it. Toni vs. Ronda feels like big, big money if Ronda can stay normal. Great match between Mox and Takeshita. Will Ospreay looked absolutely incredible in his return, too. Such a shame the whole thing was undermined by that stupid photo he put out on Twitter last week. You wonder if Ospreay and Hangman shared a moment backstage. The two most authentic, effective babyfaces in the game, both completely flushing the act down the shitter by exposing themselves as Nonce Affiliates. Maybe that can be their Tag Team name. That or the Empty Headed Dumb Fucks. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 18 Paid Members Posted March 18 2 hours ago, Supremo said: The Young Bucks are so fucking good. Funny you say that. Nick Jackson is very good. The more Young Bucks matches I watch the more I notice how little Matt Jackson does. Nick is basically wrestling these matches on his own most the time. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 18 Paid Members Posted March 18 7 hours ago, burchybabi said: On that note… I'm glad people have picked up on this, because I was sure that was what I heard, but immediately convinced myself that there was no way Tony actually said that, so didn't rewind to double-check. Mental. I keep banging on about the Dogs - and it will probably only get worse, as they will likely intersect with all my other pet hates around the Trios division - but they're awful as an act, and the booking has done them no favours. Commentary can tell us how dangerous they are and what a force to be reckoned with as much as they like, but the fact remains that Clark Connors' entire AEW run to date has been spent losing to Orange Cassidy and Darby Allin. He's had six matches, five of them have been losses to one or both of those two. The only win was a trios squash over local jobbers. They couldn't even win the match where Roddy Strong walked out on Orange Cassidy! Gabe Kidd and Dave Finlay have a little more meat behind them, in that they actually win sometimes. But the big new heel act probably shouldn't be losing their first proper match as a team, or their first PPV match. They're just some blokes who never win, no idea why they hang out together, or what their deal is. What I'm assuming happened is that they were going to have Roderick Strong turn heel and join with Connors and Kidd, but then they managed to sign Finlay, and they changed course. One thing I did like about this show that I haven't seen talked about yet is no more double champions! They got the Women's Tag belts off of Willow, and the Trios belts off of Okada and Fletcher, so there's nobody knocking about with too many belts any more. Long may it last! Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 18 Paid Members Posted March 18 What's with Finlay's weird jacket? Looks like he's wearing his Nan's dressing gown. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted March 18 Awards Moderator Posted March 18 56 minutes ago, BomberPat said: One thing I did like about this show that I haven't seen talked about yet is no more double champions! They got the Women's Tag belts off of Willow, and the Trios belts off of Okada and Fletcher, so there's nobody knocking about with too many belts any more. Long may it last! You've tempted fate now, and tonight on Dynamite they'll announce four new titles, all with 'national' somewhere in their name. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.