Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I keep banging on about the Dogs - and it will probably only get worse, as they will likely intersect with all my other pet hates around the Trios division - but they're awful as an act, and the booking has done them no favours. Commentary can tell us how dangerous they are and what a force to be reckoned with as much as they like, but the fact remains that Clark Connors' entire AEW run to date has been spent losing to Orange Cassidy and Darby Allin. He's had six matches, five of them have been losses to one or both of those two. The only win was a trios squash over local jobbers. They couldn't even win the match where Roddy Strong walked out on Orange Cassidy!

This happens quite a lot in AEW. I don't know if it's Tony testing people or if he thinks they'll get over anyway if there's anything about them, but I find it very frustrating.

Anyway, Clark Conners is really, really talented and I think he's got massive babyface potential. I'm not as down on the rest of the act as everyone else seems to be, but to me he's the standout. 

Posted

I think there's a bit difference between AEW's trial by fire losing streaks  and whatever they're doing with the Dogs.

With Takeshita, Fletcher and Swerve they were taking someone who could be potentially presented as an elite level wrestler and having them face people already in that tier; Danielson, Omega people like that. It was arguably mostly about seeing if they could put on a high quality match (and in kayfabe terms showing they can hang with the best). It's getting them over as a performer, a peformer who could possibly be in the main event of AEW (where there's generally an assumption you need to be able to wrestle the Meltzer 5 star style).  They were also losing to fairly protected wrestlers.

Currently they seem to be trying to get the Dogs over as threats and assuming that NJPW tenure get them over as performers.  They're also facing other mid carders  (sure Allen and Cassidy can main event but they move around the card lot and lose a lot). Party 6 mans are a great part of the AEW midcard but that's not showing that Gabe Kidd is capable of putting on a classic with Kenny Omega, it's showing that these wrestlers are good at putting together a multi-man match. 

The Dogs are being presented as a threat for the Team AEW to overcome, not as the (no pun intended) underdogs who might suprise you.  They didn't convey anything in the match that made me think I'd like to see more of them nor did they convey any sense of wanting to see them beat down. So they just came out, did stuff and lost and next week I'm probably going to be expected to continue to see Gabe Kidd as a threat 

 

 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, gmoney said:

This happens quite a lot in AEW. I don't know if it's Tony testing people or if he thinks they'll get over anyway if there's anything about them, but I find it very frustrating.

Anyway, Clark Conners is really, really talented and I think he's got massive babyface potential. I'm not as down on the rest of the act as everyone else seems to be, but to me he's the standout. 

Yeah, I’m with you. I have no strong feelings either way on Finlay, and I actually quite like Gabe Kidd. Like you, I think Connors is the stand-out, though.

8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'm glad people have picked up on this, because I was sure that was what I heard, but immediately convinced myself that there was no way Tony actually said that, so didn't rewind to double-check. Mental.

I whizzed through this match meaning I missed it at the time, but I’ve watched the clip over and over trying to work out if he actually said something else, and because people think he said that, that’s what you end up hearing, but I can’t for the life of me work out what else it could be.

EDIT: Then again, presumably they have a button that lets them mute their mic, maybe he thought that was pressed and it either wasn’t or didn’t function.

Edited by RedTwoster
  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

This happens quite a lot in AEW. I don't know if it's Tony testing people or if he thinks they'll get over anyway if there's anything about them, but I find it very frustrating.

It's standard TK booking. He has people doing high profile jobs in good matches for awhile before he finally gets behind them with a substantial push. Oddly enough it actually seems to work most of the time. People forget that until the Hangman feud Swerve basically lost every notable singles matches he had. People actually made jokes about him losing every match. But Swerve actually lost his way up the card rather than down it.

Not quite sure this booking will work with a group though rather than a singles act.

Either way I don't care because The Dogs are rubbish.

  • Paid Members
Posted
14 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

I whizzed through this match meaning I missed it at the time, but I’ve watched the clip over and over trying to work out if he actually said something else, and because people think he said that, that’s what you end up hearing, but I can’t for the life of me work out what else it could be.

EDIT: Then again, presumably they have a button that lets them mute their mic, maybe he thought that was pressed and it either wasn’t or didn’t function.

I (naturally) wasn't that dialled into that match and I noticed that Tony dropped an f-bomb, but not having the context I thought he'd said someone (presumably of the babyfaces) was "pretty fucking awesome". Guess not.

IIRC, Excalibur made a point at the start of the match that during the babyface entrances The Dogs had been over at the table giving Schiavone shit. Maybe Tony was working, or maybe Finlay said something a bit too close to the bone and he was legit pissed off with him?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...