Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 16 Paid Members Posted March 16 4 hours ago, DavidB6937 said: It could have been one of their best but it was way way way too long. Absolutely no need for it. Cut a couple of hours off, focus on your best stuff, and you've absolutely got a top tier show there. Pretty much how I feel. Take the first 5 matches or so and the main event and you have one of their best shows ever. But it was excessive in every way. Too many matches. Too many returns and debuts (if Dynamite hadn’t been so mediocre recently this wouldn’t be an issue, but fucking hell, just save some of these). Too many title matches that no one gives a shit about. Subjective, but too much violence in the main event (does every AEW PPV need a gorefest? To me it’s just torture porn - how can you get any enjoyment out of syringe spots, for example?) While I’m not saying Tony Khan should play no role in booking, I think the evidence has stacked up at this point to suggest he should hand the reigns over to someone else as far as a lead voice goes. Even just someone who would be willing to act as an editor would be enough. I hate the fact that this show was packed with so much great wrestling and moments, yet even with healthy use of the fast forward button, I don’t feel like I enjoyed it. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted March 16 Paid Members Posted March 16 Ciampa always makes me think of Cohen The Barbarian. Quote
Chili Posted March 16 Posted March 16 (edited) It was too long, but I'm not going to give out because it's what I expect now and don't expect them to change. For all WWE PLE's feel like nouvelle cuisine, where you don't get a lot, and feel slighted that you should get a little more for what you've paid, AEW PPV's are a stodgy as fuck takeaway that you always have to finish the next day. Texas Death was a tad long but I enjoyed it. You know what you're getting with the TDM in AEW so it is what it is for me. Still, the good news is Hangman lost, which means we'll be hopefully getting a new interesting arc for his character to explore, which regardless of him being a silly bugger off screen, I'm very interested in because his character work is always stellar stuff. Agree with @RedTwosterabout the amount of returns on the show. It was absurdly excessive and you could have got a lot by trickling them into the next few weeks of television to spice up the weekly TV, which I'm still not going to really bother with for the time being. Whilst Twoster might still have a distaste for Roddy Strong as a character, Gabe Kidd is speed running that for me. Kill Crazy from the shittest series of Red Dwarf, the wanker in a Wetherspoons smoking area. I'm fucking well mad me. Intolerable. ...and WHERE THE FUCK IS EDDIE KINGSTON!? Edited March 16 by Chili Quote
TheScarlettChad Posted March 16 Posted March 16 Gabe saying suck your mum was embarrassing. Absolute melt. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted March 16 Awards Moderator Posted March 16 (edited) 2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: They seemed to be constantly cutting to reactions in the crowd as well, way more noticeably than usual. Way, way more than I’ve ever noticed before. Didn’t like that. They also seem to have bought one of those cameras WWE use that make entrances look like an out of focus PS3 cutscene. Don’t like that either. Like Twoster, I used fast forward a lot so I could get through the show in two sittings today. Happy to see three women’s matches on a PPV card, and liked how the first four matches all had a post-match return or debut, essentially teasing what the next PPV could be. C&C vs FTR, leading to a Bucks match at Wembley? Storm and Mina vs Rousey & Shafir, leading to Toni vs Ronda at Wembley? Ospreay vs Moxley, Kenny vs Swerve… Double or Nothing already looks great. Main event on this one didn’t do anything for me, and I wish I was bothered what happens to Hangman now. More interested in who the next World Title contender’s going to be. Edited March 16 by HarmonicGenerator I missed that Ospreay music Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 16 Posted March 16 Jack Perry as any sort of champion in 2026 is confusing to me. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 16 Paid Members Posted March 16 31 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Jack Perry as any sort of champion in 2026 is confusing to me. I’m going to put it out there - the National Title is as bad an idea as The Nightmare Collective. They’ve managed to make a meaningless title feel less than meaningless, which is quite the accomplishment. Quote
RIDDUM_N_STYLE Posted March 16 Posted March 16 Still don’t get why they need FOUR mid card titles, they could easily drop the National and International belts and have two solid titles in the Continental and TNT using them along the same lines as WWE with the IC and US belts Wouldn’t surprise me if later in the year Tony makes a women’s C2 and subsequently a Women’s Continental Championship to go with the TBS Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted March 17 Author Paid Members Posted March 17 (edited) 5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: They seemed to be constantly cutting to reactions in the crowd as well, way more noticeably than usual. 3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said: Way, way more than I’ve ever noticed before. Didn’t like that. They also seem to have bought one of those cameras WWE use that make entrances look like an out of focus PS3 cutscene. Don’t like that either. I noticed that too. It's like they got a new 4k camera and thought lets show the fans off more. They definitely could have cut that down. I really enjoyed the PPV, only thing I didn't really like was some of the spots in the deathmatch as it gets a little too much but outside of that, I pretty much liked everything. I also liked the match graphics/presentation they used for the show, someone mentioned before about AEW looking grey/dull and I thought they added some much needed colour. 4 hours ago, Chili said: ...and WHERE THE FUCK IS EDDIE KINGSTON!? Edited March 17 by Kamran Quote
The King Of Swing Posted March 17 Posted March 17 Too long naturally, but still a really good show. Barely reacted to the main event at all, though. Currently don't care about either guy and I'm pretty much numb to the death match spots, now. They could get a good 3-6 month heel run out of Ronda, but that's about it. Time will tell. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 (edited) On 11/14/2025 at 9:42 AM, Supremo said: Most notable thing watching this show was what a phenomenal job AEW - and specifically Jon Moxley - have done with Marina Shafir…For the first time in ages I suddenly wondered what Ronda Rousey was up to. Not something I ever would have said a year or two ago, but I support bringing Ronda in. It was the last babyface turn I expected, but I’ve warmed massively to her in recent times. As far as wrestler apologies go, her addressing of the Sandy Hook stuff was relatively decent. When the Vince stuff first broke she was one of very few wrestlers with a bit of courage to legitimately speak out about it. And now more recently she’s been hilarious completely exposing UFC and Dana White for being the cheap, MAGA dickheads that they are, happy to pump out a dogshit product as long as most fighter pay doesn’t go above 50 grand to show and 50 grand to win. Plus, Ronda’s made no bones about why her run in WWE bombed and never lived up to that Mania Mixed Tag with Hunter, Kurt and Stephanie. That first magical night was the only time she was allowed to choreograph and rehearse her match, then everything after that she was left to call it in the ring. I’m sure the pensioner producers backstage felt it was important that she called it in the ring, but as a fan, I don’t give a shit. I’d much rather watch the rehearsed matches if it means they’re fucking incredible. Ideally, she only comes in for a few big matches, and is given all the time she needs to rehearse them. Ronda vs. Toni Storm at All In feels humongous. Start rehearsing now! Still a thicko nutter, of course. My biggest worry is that Ronda’s head will fall off and she’ll work herself into a shoot again. She couldn’t handle the banter with Becky, and Toni is infinitely wittier and funnier than Becky ever was. It’s all I could think about watching Toni pull that funny face and do that funny strut down the ramp. Careful, Toni! Don’t be too charismatic! Ronda’s brain will start leaking out of her ears! “She’s not really a Hollywood actress from the 1920s! She doesn’t really bite her opponent’s tit! It’s all fake!” Edited March 17 by Supremo Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 14 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: While I had to do this in two sittings, I’d probably say this was the AEW show I most enjoyed for quite some time. Theres still things that annoy me (they did the “Fired Up 1-Count Kickout” spot in THREE separate matches for gods sake) but for the most part there was plenty to enjoy. This was my major criticism of this show - I've watched everything bar the main event, and in-ring it's as strong as any AEW show has ever been, but the agenting is shocking. Aside from the one-count kick-outs, there were biting spots in four or five matches, and in most of them it was the babyface doing the biting! And given that there were four matches followed up with surprise appearances, why on Earth did they book those matches to happen back-to-back? Bizarre idea. Luckily Andrade vs. Bandido was incredible. The Dogs are just dead in the water, aren't they? The least interesting men in a match with Roderick Strong in it. Commentary constantly telling us how dangerous they are when they never fucking win. Someone in the crowd audibly shouting, "I'm mad, me!" at Gabe Kidd, after he got a chant of "you're so shiny" on Dynamite, which doesn't exactly suggest that the crowd are buying into his scary madman act. I'm not even convinced they've signed Ronda Rousey, it all felt so weird. It seemed like something that came together super last minute - there's no way Tony Khan's not forking out for the Joan Jett song if he had more lead time on this - and there's been none of the follow-up you'd expect from them signing a massive name; no All Elite graphic, no "we'll hear from Ronda Rousey on Dynamite", and the Tweet announcing the Marina/Toni rematch doesn't even mention her, only Shafir's "post match cheap shot". It looks like it was just the most expensive distraction spot of all time. I wouldn't rule out Ronda coming in properly later down the line, presumably for a match with Toni, but given she has a real fight coming up, she's not going to be doing any wrestling, so if she is signed now it will all get a bit Pac-Man Jones very quickly. Quote
Tennessee Moltisanti Posted March 17 Posted March 17 If I had to guess, they get 2 matches out of Ronda; Ronda and Marina beat Toni and Mina at PPV before All In Ronda Vs Toni at All In, with Toni going over Quote
Chili Posted March 17 Posted March 17 11 minutes ago, sukhy said: If I had to guess, they get 2 matches out of Ronda; Ronda and Marina beat Toni and Mina at PPV before All In Ronda Vs Toni at All In, with Toni going over Or that other weird fucker she's fighting on Netflix stoves her head and nothing comes of any of this. ...and Ronda Rousey isn't going to job to a woman who is a over a 100 years old. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 17 Paid Members Posted March 17 I understand the perceived appeal of Ronda Rousey to television networks and so on, but I'm fascinated if she's even remotely a draw these days. Maybe the Carano fight will be the testing ground for that, though I think there's very limited crossover between people prepared to watch an MMA freakshow fight on Netflix and who will purchase an AEW pay-per-view for Ronda Rousey but wouldn't already have done so. I doubt there's an untapped fanbase of people who will follow Ronda Rousey wherever she goes, or for whom Ronda Rousey is the magic ingredient that AEW has been missing. Even with a fight on the horizon, she feels about as irrelevant as she's ever been, and the crowd reaction to her appearance didn't do a lot to convince me otherwise. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.