Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted September 6 Paid Members Posted September 6 Eric Bischoff booked old and past it Nasty Boys in a feud with The Dudley’s in TNA in 2010. Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted September 7 Paid Members Posted September 7 It's been his gimmick for 30 years now, hasn't it? "Controversy creates cash". He knows saying mad shit creates impressions. Having finally found time to do a TV rewatch yesterday afternoon, just a couple of final notes of stuff I'm not sure I've seen mentioned here: - save for 3 chops and a bite of the toes (all to Mike Bailey), Ciampa got absolutely zero offence in the Gauntlet. Every single other involvement was him charging wildly at an opponent and getting countered. And even the Bailey sequence began that way. - Just before starting my rewatch, I saw a Tom "Deep Caaaht" Green short in which he presented McGuinness' C3 run as an artistic representation of his career (started all guns blazing, took an injury that he had to work around, ultimately he's unable to overcome the injury whilst millimeters from his goal) and it made me appreciate the finish all the more. - Was really pleased to see how good the stadium production looked on TV. It felt like it was by far the best of the 3 shows from that aspect whilst in there, and I'm glad it felt the same on TV. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted September 7 Paid Members Posted September 7 (edited) . Edited September 7 by Devon Malcolm Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted September 8 Paid Members Posted September 8 On 9/7/2026 at 7:53 AM, Statto said: It's been his gimmick for 30 years now, hasn't it? "Controversy creates cash". He knows saying mad shit creates impressions. I honestly think - as with much of the extreme takes on general news - a good proportion of wrestling opinions expressed online by notable figures are grifts. You absolutely get people who are indoctrinated by their time in WWE as to what 'good' looks like, but the likes of Bischoff and Cornette almost certainly understand the algorithm and know what generates clicks. If Bischoff was to come out and say 'yeah, good show', it's what pretty much everyone else is saying, who cares? But if he does something bizarre like compare the main event to a Nasty Boys match, enough people will take it at face value to make it a topic of conversation, directing people to his content making it a revenue generator; whether it's through better downloads for ad sales, sign-ups to whatever their VIP tier is or YouTube/X revenue. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted September 8 Paid Members Posted September 8 there's definitely a grift to it, but I don't think it's even that with Eric Bischoff - I don't think he likes wrestling, and I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he didn't even watch the match. He was blagging an opinion based maybe on a couple of photos or other people's takes that he heard, and guesswork about what the match might have been. He described it as "hardcore, anything goes, no rules, bring a weapon. I didn’t see a kitchen sink in there, but for the most part, it was anything goes." - does that come close to describing the match any of us watched? In terms of "weapons", there was an announce table spot, which is something that's been in every WWE main event of the last twenty-five years, and Kenny hitting Will with a monitor, which is as much to set up the table spot as anything else. There were no weapons brought into the ring, no outside interference, nothing going on to rob the ref of any credibility, it was a straight wrestling match for the duration. It just wasn't the match Eric Bischoff described, even before you get to the Nasty Boys comparison. And I don't think that's about controversy, because Bischoff doesn't want people thinking he's wrong. Russo, Bully Ray, Disco Inferno, that tier of grifter don't mind making themselves look stupid for the sake of some attention, and Cornette and Dutch Mantell and that kind of old-timer always have an element of "it was better in the old days" they can fall back on. But Eric Bishoff's grift is that you're supposed to believe, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that he's a genius businessman who understands how to be successful in wrestling at a level nobody else does, and saying really stupid shit doesn't help in that goal. Ultimately, I think if Eric Bischoff hadn't grown up in Minnesota, if the AWA hadn't been the clearest route into a television career, he'd have never entered professional wrestling at all. And after WCW closed, if WWE never gave him a job, and if he hadn't managed to hitch his wagon to Hulk Hogan, he'd have never worked in wrestling again. I imagine it eats him alive that he still has to talk about this shit to earn a living. Quote
Chico Torres Posted September 8 Posted September 8 I haven’t seen the AEW match but comparing something to a Nasty Boys match shouldn’t be a negative statement (although I assume that’s how Easy E intended it). Their matches with The Steiners, Hart Foundation, LOD, Cactus/Maxx Payne, Cactus/Sullivan etc were awesome, the look and gimmick were great and they always had great theme music. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted Sunday at 03:20 PM Members Posted Sunday at 03:20 PM I watched Ospreay vs Omega (my one AEW match a year to be honest) and yeah it was incredible. Nothing new but Omega is just the absolute bollocks isn't he? He's so talented and makes things I'd normally hate in wrestling, massively entertaining. Not to take anything away from Will, but Kenny carried this for me, but that's probably because I love him. On TV the crowd came across as very quiet, but that pop for the Ospreay kick out was something else. It was a genuine explosion, and made me unexpectedly slightly emotional. They never will, but I do think they need to move it away from Wembley as its dwindling returns, but each to their own. Hopefully Danielson will wrestle next year so I can keep my one match a year streak going. Quote
The King Of Swing Posted Sunday at 05:07 PM Posted Sunday at 05:07 PM I'm guessing that if they can maintain 40-45k attendance, AEW would probably be happy continuing to book Wembley. Still looks very good on TV and is probably possible if they run it every two years. Annually though, I agree that it's probably not sustainable. With Dynasty being held in Liverpool next year, I'm assuming that All In, will be held somewhere else. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted Sunday at 05:18 PM Posted Sunday at 05:18 PM 8 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said: With Dynasty being held in Liverpool next year, I'm assuming that All In, will be held somewhere else. I’d expect that Wembley is booked out for concerts all through next summer. If there was any chance that AEW were running there again in 2027 they’d have announced it at the show. Do AEW still BluRays of PPVs? I’d definitely pick up a copy of this if they did Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted Sunday at 07:41 PM Posted Sunday at 07:41 PM 2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said: I'm guessing that if they can maintain 40-45k attendance, AEW would probably be happy continuing to book Wembley. Still looks very good on TV and is probably possible if they run it every two years. Annually though, I agree that it's probably not sustainable. With Dynasty being held in Liverpool next year, I'm assuming that All In, will be held somewhere else. I said before that I think outdoor stadium venues will be difficult in terms of TK potentially putting money into another PL club. Only potential stadium in Championship could be London Stadium, or TK takes it onto the continent maybe or to Wales or Scotland? which may not be a bad idea to be honest as would be a novelty factor. Scottish wrestling fans seem to be pretty good and loud so would somewhere north of the border be doable? Quote
Zaheer Posted Sunday at 09:38 PM Posted Sunday at 09:38 PM 6 hours ago, SuperBacon said: away from Wembley as its dwindling returns, but each to their own. I don't understand this "dwindling returns" when it comes to booking Wembley Stadium. So what if it is half full? They had 40,000 ish people for this year and 2024. If 40k people showing up for a wrestling show is a failure then I'd like to fail every day of my life. They may not make money or do it at a loss..so what ? They have more than enough money to fund it. I've been to every single one and couldn't care less how many other people came along. Every show has been great. Most importantly, none of the things I've mentioned have any factor on whether we enjoy the project We're wrestling fans who watch the end product, not the finance department. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted Sunday at 09:47 PM Members Posted Sunday at 09:47 PM 7 minutes ago, Zaheer said: I don't understand this "dwindling returns" when it comes to booking Wembley Stadium. So what if it is half full? They had 40,000 ish people for this year and 2024. If 40k people showing up for a wrestling show is a failure then I'd like to fail every day of my life. They may not make money or do it at a loss..so what ? They have more than enough money to fund it. I've been to every single one and couldn't care less how many other people came along. Every show has been great. Most importantly, none of the things I've mentioned have any factor on whether we enjoy the project We're wrestling fans who watch the end product, not the finance department. Those are all good points and that's great, I just think it's probably time to move it away from a half empty stadium that's all. I think it looks a bit shit, thats all. They never ever will though, Khan sees it as a special place for UK sport (and wrestling) and that's fine, and clearly the fans enjoy it. Its just my opinion, and again, I don't attend or watch the company, so it's a very loose opinion. Quote
Zaheer Posted Sunday at 11:11 PM Posted Sunday at 11:11 PM 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: They never ever will though, Khan sees it as a special place for UK sport (and wrestling) and that's fine, and clearly the fans enjoy it. You've just explained exactly why they keep running it. Rightfully they should. I'm just curious to understand your opinion about why "it's time to move it away" other than it looks a bit shit. I don't get how you've come to the conclusion. It was the third highest gate for the company, it's not like no one went to it. It looked great in the venue and on tv. Also it's PRO WRESTLING AT WEMBLEY STADIUM! How cool is that?! Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted Monday at 09:07 AM Paid Members Posted Monday at 09:07 AM 9 hours ago, Zaheer said: It was the third highest gate for the company Other than WWE and shows WCW piggy backed with NJPW, it was the third highest gate for any US company ever*, and the two that were higher were also AEW at Wembley. If they're a 30-35k next time, I think it'll become a valid point. But 40-50k in Wembley, with the ring, entrance and stage is always worthwhile. *on tickets sold. Alleged tickets "used" number would be fourth. Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted Monday at 09:33 AM Author Paid Members Posted Monday at 09:33 AM (edited) TK was asked after this year's show about bringing All In back to Wembley and basically said it'll definitely happen again if Wembley will have them, but he doesn't know when yet. Quote “I can’t say exactly when. I don’t know the exact date yet. I haven’t decided the time… I have decided we will definitely bring AEW back to Wembley Stadium if they’ll have us again. I know this has been the best experience I’ve ever had in wrestling, or in life today. And I’m very, very grateful to them. We’ve had so many great times here, and I can’t wait to bring AEW back here again.” I think next year it'll probably be back in the US, especially consideing there will be no WrestleMania. They struggled with ticket sales for All In Texas, although I did see quite a few people saying the location wasn't particularly accessible. If they went somewhere like New York in 2027, you'd think they'd have a much better chance of getting a big crowd. AEW's ticket sales generally aren't great at the moment though, especially for the weekly TV shows, so I do wonder how big they'll go with it. I'm sure we'll get another Wembley All In at some point, but I don't think it'll be in the next few years. If they can still sell 40,000+ tickets over here then obviously the UK is a market they'll want to keep coming back to. Whether the next UK one is actually Wembley or they try another stadium/venue is another question. Edited Monday at 09:35 AM by Kamran Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.