Paid Members air_raid Posted March 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 8, 2025 10 hours ago, Dai said: They've put the proper Goldberg music on the title win, yet in the multi man tag match they've uploaded where Hogan comes back in his Red and Yellow, theyve dubbed it over. Very strange. Copyright. He was entering to Megadeth at the time. Quote
The Gaffer Posted March 13, 2025 Posted March 13, 2025 Watching some of the early Thunders on the Big Boys Vault. They're a slog, but I have them on in the background when working. Maybe this is an obvious point but Paul Wight was never as cool in WWE. They can do a revisionist history - which he himself was a talking head for at various points - about how WCW didn't know how to book him but The Giant was way cooler than Big Show was at any point in the seven hundred runs they had at trying to make him what he should have always been. I feel like there was this sense at various points - post OVW Show, Mayweather Show - that we were finally getting the 'real' Big Show, but over the course of time he seemed to just arse from one underwhelming run to the next until some point in the interminable content years where he just became part of the furniture and got lazily accepted as a legend. The booking of him was far from ideal in Atlanta but The Giant was at least a thing. He was cool. It's a pattern I see repeated in WCW so much in retrospect. Guys we were meant to believe never got a fair shake there at least did have the weird consistency of just always having a consistent character/segment. Thinking of guys like Dean Malenko. Guy was always on the shows and over with the crowd. I'll take that glass ceiling! Christ the top storylines are confusing, though. The approach is to just layer stuff on hard and fast. Every show for most of their run on top starts with a ten minute recap of WCW Vs. NWO that factors in all sorts of legitimate sport bullshit. JJ Dillon, lawyers, agents, contracts, breaches, conditions, ultimatums. It's exhausting and genuinely impossible to keep on top of from one week to the next. People complained of this when the TV went to shite but it was always an issue. Oh yeah, Lee Marshall's a damn fine straight-shootin' commentator. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted March 13, 2025 Posted March 13, 2025 40 minutes ago, The Gaffer said: Watching some of the early Thunders on the Big Boys Vault. They're a slog, but I have them on in the background when working. Maybe this is an obvious point but Paul Wight was never as cool in WWE. They can do a revisionist history - which he himself was a talking head for at various points - about how WCW didn't know how to book him but The Giant was way cooler than Big Show was at any point in the seven hundred runs they had at trying to make him what he should have always been. I feel like there was this sense at various points - post OVW Show, Mayweather Show - that we were finally getting the 'real' Big Show, but over the course of time he seemed to just arse from one underwhelming run to the next until some point in the interminable content years where he just became part of the furniture and got lazily accepted as a legend. The booking of him was far from ideal in Atlanta but The Giant was at least a thing. He was cool. It's a pattern I see repeated in WCW so much in retrospect. Guys we were meant to believe never got a fair shake there at least did have the weird consistency of just always having a consistent character/segment. Thinking of guys like Dean Malenko. Guy was always on the shows and over with the crowd. I'll take that glass ceiling! Christ the top storylines are confusing, though. The approach is to just layer stuff on hard and fast. Every show for most of their run on top starts with a ten minute recap of WCW Vs. NWO that factors in all sorts of legitimate sport bullshit. JJ Dillon, lawyers, agents, contracts, breaches, conditions, ultimatums. It's exhausting and genuinely impossible to keep on top of from one week to the next. People complained of this when the TV went to shite but it was always an issue. Oh yeah, Lee Marshall's a damn fine straight-shootin' commentator. I guess you could say he’s grrrrrrreat! Quote
theringmaster Posted March 14, 2025 Posted March 14, 2025 I have always been under the impression that Big Show is the biggest waste of talent ever in wwe. He had such an epic debut and there was genuine some awe and buzz around him in the early days yet somehow it just disappeared and he ended up more famous for his comedy. I find it so jarring that Vince, a man with such a huge fetish for big men, never managed to make him a mega star. I don't think Big Show ever had a decent World Title won and wasn't there that stat that he had the longest running Wrestlemania losing streak? Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted March 22, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2025 Surely a good few UKFFers would have been at that? Funnily enough I'd just 'grown out' of wrestling at that point, yet here I am, over thirty years on. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 (edited) Well that’s tonight sorted. Probably incredibly unambitious of me, but if my job was just going through old tapes and cataloging them, finding some kind of hidden gem along the way, I’d be so happy. Edited March 22, 2025 by WyattSheepMask Quote
Merzbow Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 The intro's the best bit, some lad's talking to the public and some have been obviously coached into saying things while one lad just says he prefers WWF because they have the big names. There's a banging Big Van Vader shirt on the merch table I need to find, too. Quote
davertfnewman Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 Big nipples on Davey Boy on the foam hand, there! Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 (edited) 24 minutes ago, Merzbow said: The intro's the best bit, some lad's talking to the public and some have been obviously coached into saying things while one lad just says he prefers WWF because they have the big names. There's a banging Big Van Vader shirt on the merch table I need to find, too. Can’t find the exact one, but this is close to the same design (will set you back £40 after shipping though) - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1440483247/vader-big-van-vader-t-shirt?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_-clothing&utm_custom1=_k_EAIaIQobChMIi5vN6PmdjAMVeaRQBh2feBFHEAQYDSABEgJ4mvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_21619675323_167456383618_710839155067_pla-360912201277_m__1440483247engb_5512139726&utm_custom2=21619675323&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADutTMf4FMS5D5PFW5IjGnxTWvKhl&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi5vN6PmdjAMVeaRQBh2feBFHEAQYDSABEgJ4mvD_BwE If you can fit in a Medium size tshirt, there’s also this one on eBay thats again similar but not the same (but probably as close as you’ll get to it) for the more reasonable price of £18 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335752563445?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=BMW4iBoTQ4i&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=gUrwFh2GTB-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY Edited March 22, 2025 by WyattSheepMask Quote
CTXRussomark Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 On 3/14/2025 at 4:23 PM, theringmaster said: I have always been under the impression that Big Show is the biggest waste of talent ever in wwe. He had such an epic debut.... Did he though? I remember at the time thinking he looked a right idiot by accidentally causing Austin to win within seconds of debuting. Made all the worse by the awkward way he lifted Austin (probably to make it safer, to be fair) making the cage break look pretty crap, and then just standing there and staring like an idiot. Don't get me wrong - all of that would have been forgotten had the follow-up turned out far better than it did, but it's not anywhere near my list of top debuts. Quote
AnotherCrapUsername Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 6 hours ago, Merzbow said: Just finished Scotty Flamingo Vs Johnny B Badd. You have to wonder how many unseen shows like this they could possibly upload. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 If they have the UK tour where the Nazi Twins headlined I hope they don't bother with that one.. I know they've recorded shows from Germany, DSF shown them back in the day but I don't think they were the full cards. I'd be well up for seeing them along with the funny interview segments they did. Quote
TheScarlettChad Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 I wonder if they thought the Europe tour would revitalize them a bit. Hot crowds, but then they put on awful cards. Buff on the mic saying "you may not have gotten Goldberg but you got buff and I'm the stuff!" Hideous. Quote
Chili Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 37 minutes ago, Merzbow said: If they have the UK tour where the Nazi Twins headlined I hope they don't bother with that one.. I know they've recorded shows from Germany, DSF shown them back in the day but I don't think they were the full cards. I'd be well up for seeing them along with the funny interview segments they did. Here's the very fun '97 one from Oberhausen. Enjoy Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.