I've Never Seen Starwars

• Paid Members

I have, but I needed an attention grabbing title and it was the name of a TV show. 

This post here by @LaGoosh

Where he assumes that viewers have seen various other forms of violence made me realise something. I don't think I've ever watched a horror movie in full. I think I saw about 10 minutes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was about 14 and about half of Resident Evil at the cinema before leaving because it was rubbish and I was bored. So while I have seen Star Wars I've never seen a horror movie in full. I don't feel that I have missed anything by not seeing them, I don't like to be scared and the world provides all the horror I require. I've seen other what would be considered horror I suppose, I've not seen much of any of the zombie based TV shows other than Game Of Thrones where they were mainly on the periphery and it was a fantasy setting, and an episode of The Last Of Us but that's about it. 

Anyone else in a similar boat, and let's keep it clean it's a family show (Unlike AEW, AM I RIGHT!!!!) (Sorry Gooshy, couldn't resist)

• Paid Members

I avoided horror for the longest time, but like with everything it’s a wide genre and there’s some fantastic horror which isn’t all jump scares.

That said, never watched The Godfather Trilogy. Yeah, I know. I even bought the box set and I have watched The Sopranos. But never watched these. Seen parts of them, but every time I’ve tried to actually watch them from the start I fell asleep.

• Paid Members

While I do love horror films and consider them my favourite genre, I genuinely have never seen Star Wars. Anything sci-fi with spaceships etc just never appealed at all. Lord of Rings though....the original trilogy is an absolute masterpiece of cinema in my eyes.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Where he assumes that viewers have seen various other forms of violence made me realise something. I don't think I've ever watched a horror movie in full. I think I saw about 10 minutes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was about 14 and about half of Resident Evil at the cinema before leaving because it was rubbish and I was bored. So while I have seen Star Wars I've never seen a horror movie in full. I don't feel that I have missed anything by not seeing them, I don't like to be scared and the world provides all the horror I require. I've seen other what would be considered horror I suppose, I've not seen much of any of the zombie based TV shows other than Game Of Thrones where they were mainly on the periphery and it was a fantasy setting, and an episode of The Last Of Us but that's about it. 

I've probably told this story before but when I was younger I would avoid horror films, too. I just didn't want to have nightmares and my mum insisted that if I ever watched The Exorcist I'd never sleep again.

When I was about 15, BBC1 started doing Dr. Terror's Vault of Horror every Friday night, where they'd show a couple of horror films. One night they were showing Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan. So I decided to be a brave boy and watch it even though I'd never obviously seen the first seven. (*Costanza voice - "I was lost, I never saw the first seven!"*)

And of course it's about as scary as an episode of Peppa Pig. I felt really stupid and soon after was mainlining every horror film I could cram on to VHS off Sky Movies. In a weird way, it was actually a gateway to watching a wider world of cinema for me.

Anyway. I've never seen, I don't know, The Sound of Music?

I've never seen most of the "Must See" movies, simply because, I watch things I'd enjoy. I've only seen the one HP movie, the first, I've never seen any godfather flick, I've never watched The Breakfast Club, etc either. 

Am I misisng out?

I actively avoided horror for a long long long time, simply because Michael Jackson's Thriller scared the shit out of me as a kid, as well as one time I saw The Undertaker live too - I think I was about 8 or 9 at the time and he was still pretty freaky. Him, Paul Bearer and the music. Yeah, I did not appreciate it.

But late teens I went a bit mental for some reason. Developed an odd fascination with horror, attempting to get through all the video nasties, then Japanese horror, then French new wave stuff and.. well, after you've seen all that stuff then you do become fairly desensitized.

As soon as I had kids, I went completely off it. Can't stomach it at all now. Whether it's anxiety or what I don't know but I can barely sit through anything that's remotely dark or suspenseful now which is odd considering I could sit through some of the darkest and bleakest shit imaginable back in the day. But I guess I had a lot less to care about in my life at that point.

Anyway.. stuff I haven't seen that I should have? That's a tough one. Maybe all of Fawlty Towers? I'm not sure I've ever sat down and watched it all.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

I've never seen most of the "Must See" movies, simply because, I watch things I'd enjoy. I've only seen the one HP movie, the first, I've never seen any godfather flick, I've never watched The Breakfast Club, etc either. 

Am I misisng out?

Almost certainly, if your way of approaching film is to only ever watch things that you're certain you'll enjoy before even watching them. 

I used to watch horror movies but I don't think I've really watched any for over a decade. No idea why, I just got into other things maybe. I've also never seen a single Friday the 13th or any of the Elm Street films. I have absolutely no idea if I'm missing anything there. And to honour the OP title, I've only seen the first Star Wars (IV) liked it, but never got round to the rest. Partly because I know so bloody much about them already so I can't be bothered much.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chili said:

I used to watch horror movies but I don't think I've really watched any for over a decade. No idea why, I just got into other things maybe. I've also never seen a single Friday the 13th or any of the Elm Street films.

I binged the latter over one weekend a couple of years ago.1 is obviously the best, 2's alright, 3 is surprisingly excellent and then it's downhill from that moment on. 5 and 7 have their moments and Freddy vs Jason's a good laugh though.

I prefer Friday the 13th as a franchise but I think it only starts getting good at 4 when it stops taking itself seriously. 8 and Jason X are cracking.

9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I binged the latter over one weekend a couple of years ago.1 is obviously the best, 2's alright, 3 is surprisingly excellent and then it's downhill from that moment on. 5 and 7 have their moments and Freddy vs Jason's a good laugh though.

I prefer Friday the 13th as a franchise but I think it only starts getting good at 4 when it stops taking itself seriously. 8 and Jason X are cracking.

The fiancé is a big horror movie fan so I'm sure eventually I'll watch them, it's definitely just a complete lack of motivation.

There’s no genre of film that I would never watch. There’s certainly a fair few classics that I haven’t seen yet. The George Romero zombie films and Rocky Horror spring to mind. Only one Kurosawa film seen, a handful of Ghibli and to my shame, the Paddington films are still on my watchlist. 

I have, however, never been to a gig or sport event (other than wrestling). Not a fan of crowds. 

• Paid Members

I saw Robocop 2 far too young and it scarred me. The bit where Duffy gets sliced open by the evil surgeon and Cain makes the boy watch.  Still can’t watch the scene to this day.

I do love horror movies but not primarily for the gore, especially if the movie doesn’t have much else going for it and is gore for the sake of it. Or prolonged scenes of torture which again have little narrative purpose. There are few movies I hate more than Hostel 1 and 2.

If the gore is in service of dark humour (there’s a fine line between outrageous levels of gore and slapstick at times, odd as it seems) or if they’ve come up with some spectacularly creative kills I can get behind that though. 

I also love the suspense, the adrenaline rushes, the preposterously convoluted lore and brain scrambling timelines, interesting brain-tickling premises, the excellent theme songs and sound design overall,  the creativity and monster/creature designs, the tropes and subsequent subversion of the tropes. Also enjoyed a lot of the more recent movies where they’ve combined horror aesthetics and tropes with other genres. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I have, however, never been to a gig

Me neither. The noise and the lights, I couldn't do it, although I'm sure an acoustic one might be fine. Can't believe I'm sitting on an autism assessment!