Joke and Phrase Retirement Home

gmoney

• Paid Members

"Un-alived"

There's a Nirvana exhibition at at the Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle where it says Kurt Kobain un-alived himself at aged 27. Makes it sound like a joke, the guy blew his own head off with a shotgun. At least say he took his own life or something that illustrates the severity of it.

I thought un-alived was used on social media as the murder and/or suicide or words indicating such were banned or filtered out? I didn't realise it was actually used off social media.

I have been to said museum @FLips but I went in 2016 and it did not say un-alived then. I know committing suicide has become a disused term so I can understand that it's changed but un-alived is stupid. (Also the museum was 80% Nirvana)

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I thought un-alived was used on social media as the murder and/or suicide or words indicating such were banned or filtered out? I didn't realise it was actually used off social media.

I have been to said museum @FLips but I went in 2016 and it did not say un-alived then. I know committing suicide has become a disused term so I can understand that it's changed but un-alived is stupid. (Also the museum was 80% Nirvana)

Yeah that’s right, it’s leaking into the real world. 

• Paid Members

I understand the thought process behind 'un-alive'. It's an attempt to soften the language around suicide to make it less triggering for those for whom it's a difficult subject. I don't personally like it and I think 'ended their own life' is much better and less clumsy. But I don't have a problem with its usage and intention.

• Paid Members

I think the main part of it is the "committed" part of Suicide, as it can too easily be likened to committing a crime, and hopefully make it a little less of a taboo subject. If people were able to talk about it more then it's possible it may happen less. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

"Inject that shit directly into my veins." 

Or variations on that.

It was funny when Barney said it in that one episode of the Simpsons 30-odd years ago, but I agree. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

I think the main part of it is the "committed" part of Suicide, as it can too easily be likened to committing a crime, and hopefully make it a little less of a taboo subject. If people were able to talk about it more then it's possible it may happen less. 

Yes, most journalistic guidelines now advise against saying "committed suicide" for that reason. "Died by suicide", "ended their life", or words to that effect are more commonly used now, as it doesn't carry the implications of legal or moral judgement that "committed" does.

"Unalived" is a TikTok thing, and weird enough when it leaks into other social media, let alone real life. I would assume it's someone who has done a find and replace job for some social media content, and used the same copy for the physical version.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

"Unalived" is a TikTok thing, and weird enough when it leaks into other social media, let alone real life. I would assume it's someone who has done a find and replace job for some social media content, and used the same copy for the physical version.

Either that or a young staff member, who doesn't know it's to get around tiktok rules and genuinely thinks that's the more appropriate way to put it. That honestly wouldn't surprise me.

When I trained as a Mental Health First Aider we were told to use the phrase 'completed suicide'. As @Jazzy G pointed out 'commited' is generally used for crimes. I don't particularly like that terminology either, sounds like they finished a computer game 

Edited by deathrey