Joke and Phrase Retirement Home

gmoney

• Paid Members

“Discourse.”

I swear people think this makes them sound smarter than using (depending on platform, context, subject matter, level of passion etc) discussion, conversation, chat, debate, argument etc. It doesn’t. It makes them sound like every faux intellectual you come across in your working life who thinks they can use “revert” as a synonym for “reply” because they found a clever sounding word and think they know what it means, but they’re actually thick as shit but just self-aware enough to want to sound clever. Somebody get the Flash wipes, there’s “discourse” fucking everywhere at the moment. Just stop.

• Paid Members

"expletive + noun" as an insult. You know the ones - cockwomble, wankpuffin, shitgibbon, spunktrumpet etc etc

Must have been going on for years now. Someone thinking they're dishing out a devastatingly witty insult but end up sounding overly-twee and a bit try-hard. Clearly it's just me though as to this day, whenever such a term makes an appearance on X, there will be someone commenting along the lines "absolutely outstanding Sir, you have just won the internet for today". Which could in itself be another entrant in this thread. 

Shite patter. Although I did once year someone be referred to as a "spamjavelin" before and I have to admit that one was pretty good. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

"absolutely outstanding Sir, you have just won the internet for today". Which could in itself be another entrant in this thread. 

I didn't include stuff like this as it feels like something from a previous generation, and I genuinely haven't seen it in years.

“Tell me you haven’t…without telling me you haven’t…”

Using “mid” to describe the quality of something.

”Y’all.” I actually muted this word on Twitter, it was in every other post.

“Living rent-free.”

“I’m screaming/I’m weak.” Are you? Be honest now. 

“She is mother/mothering”. 

Not a phrase, but this emoji. ? I loathe it.

”Ratio.” I’ll be honest, I don’t even know what this one means. But I blocked the wrestler Dijak for using it all the time. 

“Understood the assignment.”

I really need to delete Twitter. It’s an utter cesspool. I don’t know whether I’m just a miserable git, but I’m at a point where I pretty much hate all memes, unless it’s Simpsons related. This place for the most part is a decent alternative. The overused phrases of Twitter don’t crop up that often, and luckily everyone is a Simpsons fan. 

I cringe when I go to a certain wrestling site (Scott Keith's) and they use the foreshadowing/acquired knowledge kind of statement, for example: "Wow, Big Bubba Rogers really got a beating there! Maybe he should retire and do something less difficult, like becoming a prison guard..."

I've never liked language that is lazy and homophobic, such as zesty or the "English or Spanish?" thing.

To go with Dr. Alan Grant's "Y'all!", I have a mate who affects an "olde English" thing as well in text, which is not a way he or anyone speaks naturally or normally.

Edited by davertfnewman

7 minutes ago, davertfnewman said:

I cringe when I go to a certain wrestling site (Scott Keith's) and they use the foreshadowing/acquired knowledge kind of statement, for example: "Wow, Big Bubba Rogers really got a beating there! Maybe he should retire and do something less difficult, like becoming a prison guard..."

I've never liked language that is lazy and homophobic, such as zesty or the "English or Spanish?" thing.

Ha I sent my kids a video of me doing the HOTTOGO TikTok dance presented as if I had posted for all to see on TikTok and one of them called me Zesty. It was in response to me declaring myself a gay icon tbf.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Just Some Guy said:

"Wrong answers only" is shit.

Genuinely the laziest and most unfunny engagement farming shite on the internet. Nothing funny has ever come from a single one of these.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

"expletive + noun" as an insult. You know the ones - cockwomble, wankpuffin, shitgibbon, spunktrumpet etc etc

Must have been going on for years now. Someone thinking they're dishing out a devastatingly witty insult but end up sounding overly-twee and a bit try-hard. Clearly it's just me though as to this day, whenever such a term makes an appearance on X, there will be someone commenting along the lines "absolutely outstanding Sir, you have just won the internet for today". Which could in itself be another entrant in this thread. 

Shite patter. Although I did once year someone be referred to as a "spamjavelin" before and I have to admit that one was pretty good. 

Great shout. The most middle-class unoffensive kind of insult going. "Shit-spackled muppet fart" and the like from movies like Deadpool is similar too, what the fuck does that even mean?

Edited by Lorne Malvo