• Moderators

Assume you're referring to this bit particularly..

Ms Reeves said she would lean on the private sector to cover the shortfall.

“Private-sector investment is the lifeblood of a successful economy. We need to unlock private-sector investment,” she said.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

So it begins.

Yeah, you've really got a to wonder what Labour are going to find out they've inherited? Like buying a 2nd hand car unseen and opening the bonnet through one squinted eye hoping it's not a birds nest.

27 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Yeah, you've really got a to wonder what Labour are going to find out they've inherited? Like buying a 2nd hand car unseen and opening the bonnet through one squinted eye hoping it's not a birds nest.

Apparently, according to the BBC anyway, the shadow cabinet had met senior civil servants months in advance because people knew who would win the next election. I think they were well aware of what they were inheriting.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

They'd have to be pretty thick not to know, public finances are a matter of public record.

• Members

I'm happy about this.

If you didn't know, he is a massive advocate for opportunities for offenders, prison reform etc.

I work quite closely with the probation service and there are some brilliant people that work within it, but as a system it's fairly broken and needs fixing, very much like the DWP/JCP. 

So having someone who is knowledgeable snd gives a shit is welcome.

Key appointment. Waheeeeeeeey.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

They'd have to be pretty thick not to know, public finances are a matter of public record.

To an auditable level? I genuinely don't know what level of transparency is given. Cancellation causes in contracts for large projects like HS2 for example? 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm happy about this.

If you didn't know, he is a massive advocate for opportunities for offenders, prison reform etc.

I work quite closely with the probation service and there are some brilliant people that work within it, but as a system it's fairly broken and needs fixing, very much like the DWP/JCP. 

So having someone who is knowledgeable snd gives a shit is welcome.

Key appointment. Waheeeeeeeey.

In a similar vein Sir Patrick Vallance becomes Minister for Science...amazing thought process there - put a brilliant scientist in charge of science!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

To an auditable level? I genuinely don't know what level of transparency is given. Cancellation causes in contracts for large projects like HS2 for example? 

I don't know the exact level of detail, but it's much, much more transparent than it was in the 50s where they'd leave a note saying "sorry old boy" on top of a pile of ledgers. i think the transparency changed in the 90s. There was a Labour guy who did leave a note in 2010 saying sorry, and was absolutely dragged for it, because everyone knew the score anyway and he managed to frame the financial crisis as if it were Labour's fault. Incredible own goal. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, gmoney said:

There was a Labour guy who did leave a note in 2010 saying sorry, and was absolutely dragged for it, because everyone knew the score anyway and he managed to frame the financial crisis as if it were Labour's fault. Incredible own goal. 

Liam Byrne.  Leaving jokey "sorry old chap" notes was somewhat of a tradition until the Tories weaponised it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm happy about this.

I was talking about him with my dad a while back. My dad's a builder and he said, "Well, he needs to hire lads who were caught picking locks because Timpson's keys are shit."

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I was talking about him with my dad a while back. My dad's a builder and he said, "Well, he needs to hire lads who were caught picking locks because Timpson's keys are shit."

They are, as well. Had to get some new keys cut recently, and when I tried them on the door, turned out the bloke had only used the wrong blank. 

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

They are, as well. Had to get some new keys cut recently, and when I tried them on the door, turned out the bloke had only used the wrong blank. 

That sounds like cobblers.