AEW Double or Nothing 2024 - May 26th

Supremo

• Paid Members
Just now, Chili said:

I think anyone with any nounce 

Is that an AEW problem? I thought their abusers at least kept it legal age.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think anyone with any nounce would know the fire spot was a well prepared stunt and nothing like that deathmatch idiot that set his crotch on fire. I thought it was really cool for a spot and reasonably safe given they were using fire, like something from a theme park stunt show.

This is where things become too meta for me and get confusing on what they actually want fans to think..

Is Perry meant to be hurt now or is it like you say whereby the viewer should know this is obviously done in a controlled environment and perfectly safe?

Like is this a devastating act to a heinous heel, are we meant to feel sorry for him ? Or glad he got his comeuppance?

But did he get his comeuppance if this is all done safely and he was never in danger .

Am i making any sense ?

It hurts my head.

Not only was Perry set on fire, he had already been knocked silly in a car crash, and yet STILL won the match for his team! No AEW wrestler has an excuse now if they can't win their fights.

I almost switched off after the Copeland cage drop, I've broken an ankle coming off that kinda height (sadly not in a wrestling cage) and I can't watch stuff like that anymore. I'm gonna have my hands in front of my eyes anytime anyone ever comes off a cage now. I hope this is the peak of his stunt-fest ways!

You know what was a banger? Swerve/Christian. Sandwiched between Mone debut and Anarchy in the Arena, I thought they'd suffer from a crowd mildly burnt out waiting for the main, but they didn't, had them absolutely rocking. Swerve proved he can be the defending champion (I'm interested so much in seeing how his reign evolves, having him lose to Ospreay at All In is a silly stupid idea that people seem to worked into their head must be happening), but Christian! God he's great isn't he, what a super worker he is. Adam Copeland might be getting the goodwill plaudits for his current run, but Christian has been consistently amazing for nearly 2 years now in this heel run. He's so good.

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 9:01 PM, Mr_Danger said:

I’m usually an advocate of wrestlers only carrying gimmicks they can actually use on their opponents but that pervert standing there with his flamethrower was a great visual.

It seems the pervert knows no bounds!

The moment Jack Perry come stumbling in looking like he’d been slimed I knew I’d misspoken and of course, why wouldn’t Darby Allin use a flamethrower on someone. The biggest surprise is he didn’t set himself on fire.

Edited by Mr_Danger

The buy-in had nothing of any real interest other than the announcement of the Owen Hart Foundation Cup Tournament starting up soon and the winners will get title shots at All-In. All for that but drop either the word cup or tournament from it's name. 

Osperay winning was always gonna happen. And him against Strong was always gonna be a good match given their ability. At some point though Will is gonna have to ditch Don Callis and it looks like they're edging closer to it. Callis telling him to the Tiger Driver and Osperay eventually deciding not to, though he was tempted.

Not interested in Adam Cole and while the live audience eat up on MJF's digs at WWE, it's rather tiresome for me. You've been away for six months, come back with something new instead of a Triple H denim/leather jacket rip-off, a jibe at Vince McMahon within the first sentence of your promo and all the usual waffle you give. And the tattoo was shit. Was expecting all this at Forbidden Door as that's in Long Island but I suppose now we get a month of him building up to that.

Trios match was your typical trios match. I really like how AEW use PAC as a power based wrestler rather than a high-flier. Obviously they let him showcase his arieal skills as well but it's not his be all and end all. Juice coming back should give the Bang Bang Gang a numbers advantage in most trios matches moving forward. And since they're carrying on to parade the old trios titles, the Acclaimed custom made ones and the ROH ones, they can give the Unified belts (if there is any yet) to Juice and let all four members of Bullet Club Gold carry three belts each.

Toni won, hopefully something a bit more interesting for her next as Deeb is dull.

Cassidy and Beretta is maybe the only result they got wrong for me last night. Beretta needed the win more to push him as an evil heel and it would have given more reason for Cassidy to start thinking he does need Callis in his corner. But it's easy to see why they went with an Orange victory.

Jericho is still the FTW champion. And still not clicking for me.

Mox and Takeshita had a great match as you'd expect and given the stipulation, I don't think any result would have been a surprise. Mox getting the win means we'll be ending up with one of his "dream" matches at Forbidden Door but I suppose that's the point of the pay-per-view so why not. Takeshita is another who needs to rid themselves of Don Callis, fuck it AEW need to rid themselves of Don Callis.

Copeland and Black was a good match, though not quite as gory as what I was expecting - which may be more my fault than theirs. Think they've gone a bit too early with the Brood angle as well, would have been much better having Christian there and a full reunion. But it had plenty to enjoy, including the surprise that everybody knew was coming of Gangrel. I did fall for Brody and Buddy swapping sides, thinking they were turning their back on Malakai only to double cross us all and proceed to lay out Copeland. Copeland leaping from the top of the cage probably wasn't the wise choice but all credit for him for doing it.

I said Orange and Beretta is maybe the only result they wrong, the outcome of Willow and Mone is close to that list but they were never gonna have Mone lose her first match so I don't know if it is the wrong result. Nah it is, she's shit and they need to accept they've ballsed it up bringing her in. Willow has been the best babyface in the company for some time now and was deserving of a really lengthy run as TBS champ. Even if she defends the Owen Hart Cup and goes on to dethrone Toni for the Womens World Title, this decision will still feel wrong. I also don't get why people think Mone is great in the ring, she always looks awkward to me. But it's done. 

Swerve and Christian was boss. I kind of wished it'd gone on last but I understand why it didn't. Two pro-wrestlers pro-wrestling. It didn't need as many bells and whistles as some of the other matches, though it did have some. And Swerve keeps the belt for a bit longer, hopefully past WrestleDream which is in his hometown of Tacoma. Him against Danielson, two Washington natives in Swerve's hometown? AEW are normally good with hometown heroes, so hopefully they do have something big planned for Swerve when we get there but that's nearly 5 months away.

Main event was as mad, crazy and bonkers as it should be. You could watch bits of it through your fingers and you could watch bits with your belly wobbling from laughing. It was everything that AEW does well.

Overall a belting show, as we've come to expect from AEW ppvs. Moment of the night goes to Stokely shouting to Willow "fuck her up" during the match with Mone. Rhinestone Jones is a very close second though.

Having the Warriors, Stand By Me (two for flinching) and South Park all referenced during the Swerve/Christian match was lovely - I think Brian Quinn from Impractical Jokers was nearby where Swerve celebrated as well to give another of my interests a nod of acknowledgement. 

Good show, lots of decent stuff to build on coming out of it now. It's just a shame the next show is Forbidden Door and all the New Japan bollocks as it'll mean random matches and Japanese lads shoehorned in, but once we're past that All In is looking strong.

Will probably tune back in after Forbidden Door, but enjoyed this one.

• Paid Members

Bit weird that they still do “Forbidden Door” at all, to me. Works fine as a one off event but when there’s a clear and ongoing talent exchange… well, doesn’t feel very “forbidden”, does it?

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

Bit weird that they still do “Forbidden Door” at all, to me. Works fine as a one off event but when there’s a clear and ongoing talent exchange… well, doesn’t feel very “forbidden”, does it?

'Ajar Door' is a terrible PPV name though.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

'Ajar Door'

Fairly sure I saw her in Ice Ribbon.