Viva le Backlash

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The Savio Vega cameo spot has been given to Bone Saw McGraw. Double duty. He’s fighting Cody at Backlash, but first he’s got to fight Spider-Man in the cage.

IMG_8181.thumb.jpeg.882a41e23e984f1812f273b286eb9821.jpeg

The size of him! Looks even more ridiculous in a more normal setting. Probably couldn’t find a shirt to fit him, so had to go topless. Walking Hasbro action figure. His piss must glow in the dark.

Edited by Supremo

Unhinged crowds, excess swearing, overbooked main events and the evangelicals are on the gas. 

The boom is back. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Backlash 2024

Opening tag was great. Crowd singing Orton's theme was very cool. Perfect start to the show. Big fiery brawl, getting amongst the people right at the start when they're this rabid was definitely the right move. Was hoping for Jacob Fatu but can't have everything, and I suppose Tanga Loa was a legit surprise if not an exciting one. Paul Heyman is brilliant watching the chaos unfold around him. From the man who has the spoilers to having no agency whatsoever, he's my favourite thing about the Bloodline Black and Silver story so far. I look forward to the day he proudly strolls out to herald the return of Roman Reigns, will be a triumphant moment. Picturing it like Paul Bearer here: 

https://youtu.be/UQyWQDayBpg?si=aV4abkqqssa4SBPU

The crowd was amazing for Naomi's entrance. Her return has been a bit underwhelming for me, thought this was the most important she's felt since she came back. White hot for Bayley too of course, though the "Simplement Deux" chants dominated this one. Bit sloppy and clunky at the start but had a fun closing stretch, loved the spontaneous 3D on Stratton out of nowhere in particular. Ended up being OK, felt like it ended just as it was getting going though 

Priest vs Uso for the "World Heavyweight Championship" in the middle of the show feels a little bit like when WCW called the Kiss Demon's matches "Special main events". It'll feel more important when Punk and Drew are fighting over it but I still hate having a secondary title called the World Heavyweight Championship so much. Jey Uso singles matches without the weight of the Bloodline Saga and Roman behind them just don't work for me. I loved him in that angle but I think it clouded my judgment about his limitations for a while there. People love doing the Yeet but he is not that guy. The crowd elevated this a little bit as they did with most things on this show, but it was a very ordinary TV match that played out exactly as expected. Looking forward to Priest getting rid of Judgment Day. Always thought his look and character was cooler before he had to start adding purple bits and rocking the Viscera bin bag for his entrance.

Womens tag title match had some very very rough moments, can't sugar coat that. Jade still has moments where she looks clumsy and lost, the bit leading into the double cross arm breaker spot in particular looked shocking and the commentators struggled to cover it.  The match falling apart in the middle was mostly Kairi's fault (not sure what's happened to her on this comeback but she has not been good at all!), but Jade clearly struggles if anything goes slightly off script right now. However, on balance, I didn't care. The Jade/Bianca team is just a glorious thing and I love it. They look he business together in the matching gear, they're both insane athletes and it feels like a superhero team up. It leads in perfectly to the point where they face each other on a big stage in a clash of titans, and in the meantime Jade can get reps in whilst hidden a bit in tag matches. For all of the rough bits from Jade in this match, the springboard cross body and the sequence of flinging Kairi all over the place to get her into Jaded looked spectacular. She started doing that towards the end of her AEW run and it looks awesome every time. Not a great match but it did the job and was nice that this crowd got a title change on a show with so few notable happenings. 

Cody's entrance was sensational. Judas eat your heart out. Very good match, comfortably the best on the card. Obviously a bit diminished by the result being 100% guaranteed ahead of time, but still a good'un. AJ Styles is going to have this in his head for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnkS1Ji4BgQ

House show-esque show elevated by the crowd as expected, I did tire of Simplement Deux a little by the end, but they were electric for the whole event and it wouldn't have been worth watching without them. Good main event, fun opener. It didn't hit the heights of Bad Bunny at Backlash Puerto Rico. I hope France gets something more substantial/eventful than this in future, their audience deserves it. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

The show was OK. A B-PPV that didn’t come close to overdelivering in any sense. Obnoxious crowd and that awful chant they do after every single two count might make them my least favourite crowd of all time. Had me begging for WHAT and TWOOOO chants by the end.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, JLM said:

Priest vs Uso for the "World Heavyweight Championship" in the middle of the show feels a little bit like when WCW called the Kiss Demon's matches "Special main events". It'll feel more important when Punk and Drew are fighting over it but I still hate having a secondary title called the World Heavyweight Championship so much.

Yeah, I totally agree. Priest just doesn’t feel like a World Championship calibre wrestler to me. He’s missing something, although I can’t put my finger on what that is, exactly. 

I wish they’d just brought back the World Heavyweight title from the original brand split era. There have been three world titles in less than a decade, and this belt feels pretty disposable. 

Overall, I enjoyed the show - it was definitely elevated by the crowd, though. Put that show in front of a typical WWE crowd and it would have been a much less enjoyable watch. 

EDIT: Interesting that you feel that way, @FLips - I enjoyed the atmosphere, but I’d definitely crossed my mind while watching it that it bordered on distracting at times - and that some people would likely find my use of ‘bordered’ generous.

Edited by RedRooster

I wonder if they are gearing towards

Rock, Solo, Tama, Tanga vs Reigns, Usos’ and Fatu at this point. Keeps the Bloodline self contained to some extent.

Of course if Fatu joins Solo then maybe the big matches at Survivor Series will be Solo etc vs Reigns, Usos’ and Sami and Rocky will face Cody. 

• Paid Members

We are at the point where we are complaining that crowd are cheering too much. The crowd made an otherwise average show entertaining to watch and it looked like they had the absolute best time. They've all probably paid about a billion euros for a seat each so let them do what they want.