Wrestlelamia

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Supremo said:

Surely it’d be easier to name this the Bully Ray & Booker T thread. Worst takes, every single time. I don’t know how either succeeded in the business. Thick as mince.

And Road Dogg. He and Bully Ray are subscribers to “wins and losses don’t matter.” Which in terms of missing the point for people behind the curtain would be up there with Baywatch writers thinking tits don’t matter.

• Paid Members

It's quicker to just assume Cornette said something idiotic on every episode of his podcast. Because he has. I don't see the point in picking him out for this.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's quicker to just assume Cornette said something idiotic on every episode of his podcast. Because he has. I don't see the point in picking him out for this.

He sure does, but this seems an insane reaction by even his standards. Admittedly that’s an assumption because I’m not listening to his bullshit and giving him the clicks he’s craving

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

He sure does, but this seems an insane reaction by even his standards.

It's not. He comes out with hyperbolic statements like that pretty much every episode because that's what his incel listeners want to hear. They want to hear him play the hits ("INDIE MUDSHOW BULLSHIT!") and say mean things about current wrestling.

Full disclosure, I do listen to him sometimes. Not the reviews of the current stuff but I do like his more historical stuff if you cut through his usual shite. His segment on Ole Anderson was excellent. He's an invaluable wrestling historian like Meltzer is but like Meltzer he's entirely useless in every other way and playing to a crowd that expects to hear certain things from them. But I have zero interest in what he has to say about wrestling in 2024. He will never move on because if he does then his YouTube clicks will go down. If he's talking about Memphis or his NWA/WCW run, I'm listening. He's also a huge cunt.

I use to love listening to Cornette. But more and more content is dedicated to him just slagging AEW, even when it's good! Sorry I can't agree with a man who thinks Moxley is shit.

It's the name calling that irks me. How can a man who calls Kenny Omega "Kenny Olivia" and the Buck "The Young Fucks" also have such great insight into the history of the business. It's infuriating. 

AEW is far from perfect, but if you can't even give them credit where it's due, then it makes what you say very questionable. 

• Paid Members

Cornette's a gimmick, and increasingly one I imagine even he's sick of. There's no point listening to him any more even if you usually enjoy it, because he's a broken record and it takes him longer and longer to record an episode now, so by the time he's done it, all of his snitch-tagging catchphrase-spouting fans have already said everything he's going to say on Twitter.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

I use to love listening to Cornette. But more and more content is dedicated to him just slagging AEW, even when it's good! Sorry I can't agree with a man who thinks Moxley is shit.

It's the name calling that irks me. How can a man who calls Kenny Omega "Kenny Olivia" and the Buck "The Young Fucks" also have such great insight into the history of the business. It's infuriating. 

AEW is far from perfect, but if you can't even give them credit where it's due, then it makes what you say very questionable. 

Then we can't agree. I also think Moxley is pretty shit. He was the worst member of the Shield, which is a tough race to win and he insists on playing this hard man gimmick when he's about as threatening as a Shetland Pony out for a lovely walk on a spring morning. 

Like Dev I listen to the Cornette historical stuff, but I do know that he doesn't call Omega Kenny Olivia. It's Kenny Olivier as in Sir Laurence. I assume its something to do with supposed dramatic performances. Cornette can be a bellend but having names for people to amuse mainly himself is not something I can criticize. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Then we can't agree. I also think Moxley is pretty shit. He was the worst member of the Shield, which is a tough race to win and he insists on playing this hard man gimmick when he's about as threatening as a Shetland Pony out for a lovely walk on a spring morning. 

Like Dev I listen to the Cornette historical stuff, but I do know that he doesn't call Omega Kenny Olivia. It's Kenny Olivier as in Sir Laurence. I assume its something to do with supposed dramatic performances. Cornette can be a bellend but having names for people to amuse mainly himself is not something I can criticize. 

He can't agree with me either. Jon Moxley is awful.

He also doesn't call the Bucks "The Young Fucks". Cornette calls them "Buckaroos". Which, like almost all his nicknames for wrestlers he doesn't like, doesn't make any sense. The only one that's ever made me laugh is calling Excalibur "Sockface". 

• Paid Members

I haven't really ever listened to one of Cornettes shows outside of the odd clip here or there, but who exactly are his target audience? 

It's clearly not AEW fans and I can't see most WWE fans either, so who are his audience? Those fans that only watch Indie Wrestling? Those who think they're above wrestling and that WWE and AEW are too mainstream? TNA fans? 

I genuinely have no idea.

54 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He also doesn't call the Bucks "The Young Fucks". Cornette calls them "Buckaroos". Which, like almost all his nicknames for wrestlers he doesn't like, doesn't make any sense. 

Might be because they share a finisher with this guy

715jyKKs+0L._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I haven't really ever listened to one of Cornettes shows outside of the odd clip here or there, but who exactly are his target audience? 

It's clearly not AEW fans and I can't see most WWE fans either, so who are his audience? Those fans that only watch Indie Wrestling? Those who think they're above wrestling and that WWE and AEW are too mainstream? TNA fans? 

I genuinely have no idea.

Mostly it's old blokes who haven't actually watched wrestling in years, but still get enjoyment out of being told it's all terrible now, and wasn't everything so much better when you were a kid?

The problem is that as Cornette shows himself to be increasingly either biased, out-of-touch, or just way off the mark when it comes to modern day wrestling, it starts to call into question how reliable or accurate he actually is when it comes to wrestling history.

The main thing is that he's a racist, misogynist old prick, though. That should take precedent over him having bad opinions about Orange Cassidy.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The main thing is that he's a racist, misogynist old prick,

He's from Kentucky isn't he. Not wishing to tar them all with the same brush like he would so many people but growing up and living your life mainly in that area would definitely have a heavy bearing on the first two. I'm not defending him in the slightest, he is definitely those things. 

Talking about this cunt again, fair enough. He's an awful prick of a man, nobody should listen to absolutely anything he has to contribute to anything about modern wrestling, no matter how much a chin is stroked about it. Him and Russo are more similar now than they'd ever like to think. Hope they're still pathetically rowing until their far too gone.

And much like you have to point out Morrissey is a shit when you say you like The Smiths, I'm contractually obligated to mention here that Jim Cornette, the long time wrestling fan, talking about some old shit to do with JCP, Mid-South or Ron Wright is usually an absolute joy to behold because of his combination of patter and sheer fandom. But fucking hell he's insufferable in every other way when talks. That gobshite Brian Last can do one as well.