Wrestlelamia

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

for me, it's less Cornette and more his most vocal fans, and some of his hangers-on - the likes of Brian Last, who seem convinced they have anything to contribute themselves rather than just being a guy who facilitates Cornette. I can ignore Cornette - he's barely active on social media any more, and I just don't listen to the podcast. But the fans are in every comment section and all over Twitter.

The fans are the worst, though. You can recognise them on social media immediately, because they just regurgitate the same catchphrases and nicknames and clearly have never had an original thought in their head. Years ago I foolishly engaged with one of them on Twitter when he replied to be making a similar point to this - I'd said that "outlaw mudshow" is a surefire sign that someone gets all their opinions from Cornette, and he replied saying that it's an old wrestling term that people have been using for decades and obviously I didn't know what I was talking about; I responded by demonstrating that the exact phrase "outlaw mudshow" had never been used on Twitter, and doesn't show up in any Google searches, prior to Cornette using it a few years earlier.

And they're all worse with the misogyny and racism that Cornette too, because as shameless as he is with it, there's at least sometimes some attempt to bring him in line. But the way his fans talk about female wrestlers, and Japanese women in particular, is absolutely disgusting. 

Last year I booked a match that ended up going ridiculously viral for a couple of weeks, and, as these things will, attracted a bunch of people tagging Cornette in the mentions, but the ones I found even weirder were people tagging Brian Last or Dutch Mantell instead. But every single one of them was as predictable as the last, just parroting the same talking point, having the same narrow frame of reference, and deciding that the joke behind this match was something entirely different to what it was, and then criticising the thing they just made up. 

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Chili said:

Talking about this cunt again, fair enough

Spoiler

To be fair Chills, talking about cunts is what we do here, it's a wrestling forum after all. The only real difference is that we at least know we are cunts. It's the cunts who don't know that are the problem, like that Brian Last cunt you mentioned. 

A lot of c bombs so spoilered

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

I haven't really ever listened to one of Cornettes shows outside of the odd clip here or there, but who exactly are his target audience? 

Angry, miserable psychotic trolls.

• Paid Members

His target audience are mostly 'disaffected' wrestling fans who still lament the demise of the territory system while completely missing the point that the current independent scene more or less resembles it anyway. It's 2024. There are probably thousands of companies out there you could try and watch online. You don't have to worry about your New York cable company not carrying Portland wrestling or some such shit. Even Cornette could find some wrestling out there he enjoys if he could be bothered.

But he found a grift when he got sacked from NWA and he's sticking with it.  He knows there's no money in saying nice things about wrestling he likes. You only have to look at the view count on his videos. His moaning makes money. Nobody should take him seriously unless he's talking about old wrestling, and even then with a pinch of salt.

As for Brian Last, I don't know who this guy is or where he came from. I actually think he's a semi-decent host up to a point who probably winces at some of the shit Cornette says. But he's also his meal ticket so he's not gonna call Cornette out for his misogyny and racism, and that makes him a cunt of a different kind.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

I don't think Cornette's working a gimmick when he vents his spleen about stuff he believes is an embarrassment or disrespectful to the industry. I think that's who he is. 

Yes. A cunt.