Vince McMahon may actually be done this time [Trigger warning: Sexual Assault]

JNLister

Saying he didn't read it was poor, as it comes across as callous, but the 'focus on the positives' stuff was probably quite smart (if cynical).

If you're not a big Internet fan and don't know the ins and outs of WWE backstage politics, you probably don't immediately assume Triple H is guilty of anything and in referring to 'the positives', he forces media outlets to reprint those positives alongside everything else. Its the cordial approach to comms, trying to dilute the stories enough to make their overall effect less awful.

But yeah, there's no spin to 'I've not read it'. Terrible.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
Just now, d-d-d-dAz said:

If you're not a big Internet fan and don't know the ins and outs of WWE backstage politics

I don't know if there's anyone who fits this description that's taking time out of their day to watch a post-Royal Rumble press conference. 

• Paid Members

For what it’s worth, Cody also managed to bring it around to the positives, talking about how proud he was to go out there in front of 50,000, how he believed they were the most caring and cohesive roster he’s ever worked with, and how he wanted to give the crowd something more positive to remember about this weekend. Difference being, he managed to do it in an eloquent, mature way. Address the question, touch on potential solutions, hope for a better future, and then you can send them home happy. You know, like a professional.

Honestly, yesterday I thought they’d never fire Hunter because he’s such a pivotal part of the current company. After seeing that performance? You could switch Hunter’s figurehead role at press conferences with Cody tomorrow. If I was TKO I’d have already sent the email.

Edited by Supremo

2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

For what it’s worth, Cody also managed to bring it around to the positives, talking about how proud he was to go out there in front of 50,000, how he believed they were the most caring and cohesive roster he’s ever worked with, and how he wanted to give the crowd something more positive to remember about this weekend. Difference being, he managed to do it in an eloquent, mature way. Address the question, touch on potential solutions, hope for a better future, and then you can send them home happy. You know, like a professional.

Honestly, yesterday I thought they’d never fire Hunter because he’s such a pivotal part of the current company. After seeing that performance? You could switch Hunter’s figurehead role at press conferences with Cody tomorrow. If I was TKO I’d have already sent the email.

Cody's incredibly good at it.

It's telling how Triple H speaks about him now, even compared to a year ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the TKO-ites haven't got in Trippers ear and said 'yeah, sledgehammer throne, we know mate, but deal with it. He's the guy.'

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't know if there's anyone who fits this description that's taking time out of their day to watch a post-Royal Rumble press conference. 

Yep, but depending on what was said there was full possibility of an excerpt going viral or getting wider publication through more mainstream media sources.

So I'm sure their media training would have them ensure anything they said would stand up on its own out of context 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Saying he didn't read it was poor, as it comes across as callous, but the 'focus on the positives' stuff was probably quite smart

I dunno, basically saying "let's ignore that my step father raped, abused and sexually trafficked a human being and focus on our sweet Netflix deal" doesn't feel smart. It feels insanely cruel, stupid and evil. 

The fact that he took the time to get a fucking petty dig in at Tony Khan in the conference but not actually address something so huge and horrible properly says it all really. He's complicit and all the so called wrestling media there kissing his arse are bootlicking scum.

Edited by LaGoosh

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I dunno, basically saying "let's ignore that my step father raped, abused and sexually trafficked a human being and focus on our sweet Netflix deal" doesn't feel smart. It feels insanely cruel, stupid and evil. 

The fact that he took the time to get a fucking petty dig in at Tony Khan in the conference but not actually address something so huge and horrible properly says it all really. He's complicent and all the so called wrestling media there kissing his arse are bootlicking scum.

I'm just looking at it on a professional level, and there's an argument that people like us are going to be furious anyway, but if there's an audience reading the Daily Mail/Sun etc who don't know enough to know how close Triple H was to that earlier regime, watering down the terrible coverage with some of the good news you've had going on isn't the worst idea.

In terms of strategy, it's not a terrible idea, though he didn't handle it anyway near as well as Cody did (who basically gave the same answer, just better) and came across as a bit ham-fisted.

I think, if it'd been me advising him, I'd maybe have said say less and just accept the coverage will be 100% negative. You can't 'win' every shit storm.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Duke said:

Just checking, but none of us believe him when he said he hadn't read the lawsuit, right?

I believe him if he treated it the same way I do when my bank statement comes through the post.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I'm just looking at it on a professional level, and there's an argument that people like us are going to be furious anyway, but if there's an audience reading the Daily Mail/Sun etc who don't know enough to know how close Triple H was to that earlier regime, watering down the terrible coverage with some of the good news you've had going on isn't the worst idea.

In terms of strategy, it's not a terrible idea, though he didn't handle it anyway near as well as Cody did (who basically gave the same answer, just better) and came across as a bit ham-fisted.

I think, if it'd been me advising him, I'd maybe have said say less and just accept the coverage will be 100% negative. You can't 'win' every shit storm.

So I think there's some truth in this, and my professional instinct gets it a bit too, but that was a terrible execution of that strategy. Don't explicitly say "I choose to focus on the positives" you absolute mentalist.

Your final point is spot on though. The first rule of crisis management, surely, is "don't do anything that might make it worse" and therefore say as little as physically possible. 

2 minutes ago, Duke said:

So I think there's some truth in this, and my professional instinct gets it a bit too, but that was a terrible execution of that strategy. Don't explicitly say "I choose to focus on the positives" you absolute mentalist.

Your final point is spot on though. The first rule of crisis management, surely, is "don't do anything that might make it worse" and therefore say as little as physically possible. 

Agree with all of this.

I'm very much of the 'say less' school of thought.

I suspect Trippers was told by his advisers to try and focus on the positives, and the dumb sod wasn't clever enough - unlike Cody - to not actually say that bit out loud, and just take it as advice.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

At this point, I don’t even know why either WWE or AEW even bother with these post-show press conferences. It was novel when AEW first started doing it, setting them apart as the more press and fan-friendly promotion, but as time has gone on they’ve all devolved into the same thing.

Most of the, “journalists,” don’t want to ask a proper question. They’re just idiots with a big enough Twitter following that they’re allowed to fawn over their favourites in person. The promoters don’t want to answer proper questions either, as the last few examples have proven. The whole thing is just this weird, childish, semi-kayfabe circle jerk.

The only things of any worth I can ever remember coming out of them are daft Character bits like Toni Storm challenging Wendi Richter and Jey Uso and Cody being high as kites. All that stuff could just happen on TV or backstage bits you put on Twitter. Everything else could be a three-line press release for how much proper information comes out of them.