• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think 'focus' is a very strong thing that AEW do well when they do it, and when they lose it it all goes a bit to shit really.

And that's to be expected with the size of their roster and the number of shows etc. But with that many wrestlers at their disposal, it should be possible to book three shows consistently and solidly. Yet it rarely feels like that.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it's difficult but they need to find ways of doing it. The talent is there from those in the ring to everyone backstage. It's an incredible company all things considered, and probably why it can be so damn frustrating when things aren't as good as we expect.

This is it in a nutshell really. AEW is great, but also has some significant ongoing issues it needs to sort out. A brand split wouldn't resolve those issues, it would probably make them worse. And outside of a small handful of highlights brand splits have not historically been successful at improving the quality of wrestling television. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Cena/Orton

Ah yes, I remember vividly thinking that as the two that were clearly earmarked as the future two figureheads of the company, that their eventual first televised main roster meeting would surely be reserved for a Mania main event. Then they went to a 4 minute DQ on the Eddy tribute Raw and that was that.

Thankfully they went on to have 748 meetings on PPV thereafter.

• Paid Members

My favourite Cena/Orton moment was when they did the big staredown in one of the Rumbles and literally no one reacted to it. Absolute crickets. They then did it like 3 more times to complete silence each time. Hilarious. 

Cena/Orton is one of those feuds WWE tell the audience was legendary, but I remember everyone being pretty bored by it at the time.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

My favourite Cena/Orton moment was when they did the big staredown in one of the Rumbles and literally no one reacted to it. Absolute crickets. They then did it like 3 more times to complete silence each time. Hilarious. 

The 2011 Rumble. Which hilariously didn’t prevent them revisiting the feud fully three fucking years later for the unification and yet again at Hell In A Cell 2014, the second time in five years they’d gone into one against each other. Ludicrous.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Cena/Orton is one of those feuds WWE tell the audience was legendary, but I remember everyone being pretty bored by it at the time.

Peaked for me in the 2009 version with psychotic Orton in the Breaking Point match and a fun shortcuts Iron Man match. Which as well as not being their last feud (see above) wasn’t their first either. LOL.

• Paid Members

Yeah Dasha had a bit of a 'mare on that one.

"Accompanied by...

*lengthy awkward silence*

... the Kingdom, from Cincinatti, Ohio - Mr Wardlow... Mr Mayhem, Wardlow!" 

I'd assumed EVP Nicholas Jackson's shitty moustache was intended to evoke Vince's, and the fact it was grown out into a goatee this week seems to have confirmed that. 

Good dynamite this week. Not as good as collision but that was always gonna be very hard. I'm quite interested to see if they have a cmll invasion storyline. I like the idea of that. I did like the alliance storyline years ago. Admittedly knowing what I know now it was pretty terrible but like the concept. Wouldn't want it to take up all the storylines though 

3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Would be happy for them to lean into this. Bring back his suits, insist on the Mr.

I’m totally with you here, it’s sinister in a very subtle way; whereas ‘Mr Mayhem’ is a bit weak. Apply it to any other historic wrestling monster, and it immediately makes them less threatening:

’Mr Mayhem’, Kane!

’Mr Mayhem’, The Undertaker!

’Mr Mayhem’, Brock Lesnar!

’Mr Mayhem’, Batista!

’Mr Mayhem’, Vader!

It’s a rubbish nickname. I’m all for Mr Wardlow becoming a thing!

Agreed about Mr Wardlow sounding a bit sinister, for me it’s the whole Mr having been established as something evil in the likes of Dr Jeklly and Mr Hyde. Even the way Hugo Weaving refers to Neo in the Matrix as Mr Anderson (KENNNNEEEEDDDDYYY) sounds like a threat. 

Mr Mayhem sounds like a children’s entertainer who ruins your kids birthday by turning up pissed and falling through the cake table. 

Edited by Joe Blog

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Agreed about Mr Wardlow sounding a bit sinister, for me it’s the whole Mr having been established as something evil in the likes of Dr Jeklly and Mr Hyde. Even the way Hugo Weaving refers to Neo in the Matrix as Mr Anderson (KENNNNEEEEDDDDYYY) sounds like a threat. 

Mr Mayhem sounds like a children’s entertainer who ruins your kids birthday by turning up pissed and falling through the cake table. 

I believe Mr Mayhem was what they called Mr Blobby in America.