AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I quite like the story of MJF having undergone a quite complex (by pro-wrestling standards) character arc, finally learning to open up and be trusting and caring, only to revert back to his base surface-level heel character at the first sign of rejection. As though he's that hurt by the rejection he's gone through a time machine and completey undone 18 months of growth. But maybe I'm giving it too generous a reading and the truth is that MJF only really has one note he can hit as a heel.

Either way, I think his heel turn has suffered from happening at the same time as Hangmans all-timer heel performance and the Mariah May heel turn. An MJF heel turn should really be the number one story and it's already relegated to third place one week in.

• Paid Members

it's very "tell, don't show", isn't it? MJF is telling you how great a heel he is, while others are out there actually doing it.

That's not to downplay the initial turn and attack on Garcia, which was fantastic. But the promo on Dynamite was a step backwards, it didn't feel like there was any connection between what he did to Garcia and what he said in that promo. It's not a great look for a main event level programme when the only person carrying the emotional weight of it and actually putting over the attack on Garcia as something lifechanging and reprehensible is Daddy Magic.

34 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I quite like the story of MJF having undergone a quite complex (by pro-wrestling standards) character arc, finally learning to open up and be trusting and caring, only to revert back to his base surface-level heel character at the first sign of rejection. As though he's that hurt by the rejection he's gone through a time machine and completey undone 18 months of growth. But maybe I'm giving it too generous a reading and the truth is that MJF only really has one note he can hit as a heel.

Either way, I think his heel turn has suffered from happening at the same time as Hangmans all-timer heel performance and the Mariah May heel turn. An MJF heel turn should really be the number one story and it's already relegated to third place one week in.

It might be a timing thing. I absolutely agree that the arc can be read like that, and it's definitely a logical interpretation and maybe what they're aiming for, but if they don't play into that then it does just feel like they're re-treading old ground and that's not going to grab attention when you've got other far more exciting stuff going on around you. It's a bit Rock coming back and playing the greatest hits with his eyes closed type deal. There could and should be more and I just think the complexity of the MJF character is the most interesting thing, so we'll see if they can continue that somehow. At the moment there's not really anything.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

If him returning exactly to that same heel leads somewhere then I'll be ok with it. But the CM Punk feud, Adam Cole story and his final months as Champion basically deconstructed his heel character to the point that if he's just going back to that and staying that way with no explanation it makes no sense from a character perspective whatsoever and doesn't feel like there's anywhere new for him to go now. 

This was a lovely watch. Jeff Jarrett and the Harts have a bit of a chat about Owen. Poor Jeff's legs are going by the end and Karen looks like she's holding him steady. Oje Hart looking the spit of his old man and sounding like him. Great watch.

• Paid Members

I’ve got more time for MJF than most, and I do think he’s better being a proper heel again, but that line on last week’s Collision about ratings was the lamest shit he’s ever done.

”You only care about ratings from Meltzer, whereas I care about ratings from Nielsen.”

Absolute fucking loser. All ratings chat should be abolished, online, in real life, on the actual show itself.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

I really hate that I feel that way about The Acclaimed, and I don’t actually know for certain when they became a pair of Zigglers for me

I hate it too! Last year at All In they were on my non-negotiable list of acts I wanted on the card, this year I don’t want them taking a spot. I also laughed out loud at “pair of Zigglers”. Spot on that. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

Saddest part is how Jon Moxley has become one of those tired acts. I don’t know what the answer is with Mox, but he’s a shadow of his former self. I’d honestly prefer him back in WWE right now. He does nothing for me in this current form.

Mox has been on the back burner for a little while now and just needs a proper feud to show up again, I reckon. I desperately want him on team AEW in blood and guts, but I'm very worried those three slots are left for the Acclaimed and Saddy Ass.

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members

As much as I have been enjoying the vignettes, I have no idea why they’re putting MXM on ROH??? Maybe trying to leverage their sizeable online following into Honor Club subscriptions? I dunno, seems like a massive waste to me and I hope it’s temporary. 

27 minutes ago, Duke said:

Mox has been on the back burner for a little while now and just needs a proper feud to show up again, I reckon. I desperately want him on team AEW in blood and guts, but I'm very worried those three slots are left for the Acclaimed and Saddy Ass.

One of them would appear to be for Darby Allin.

25 minutes ago, JLM said:

As much as I have been enjoying the vignettes, I have no idea why they’re putting MXM on ROH??? Maybe trying to leverage their sizeable online following into Honor Club subscriptions? I dunno, seems like a massive waste to me and I hope it’s temporary. 

With the Young Bucks hoarding the tag titles. There isn't much of a tag scene. Death Before Dishonor coming up and the standalone ROH tapings in Texas is going to give them something to do rather than a squash match every third Rampage/Collision.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

I did see a thing on X from Ospreay apologising for his promo this week admitting it wasn't his best and needs to improve.

He got called out on the ADHD/ADD line (because ones the UK version of the other), and also got some backlash about the bidding war line (because it didn’t make much sense). It was easily his worse promo and yet it was still pretty good.

• Paid Members

Ospreay’s got nothing to apologise for. Considering where I rated him on promos and what I expected of him when he came in, the man is fucking Eddie Kingston or something. He’s blown me away, bruv.

• Paid Members

I agree on Ospreay's promo work. I strongly doubted he had it in him to do the American style TV promo week in and week out, but fair play to him he has been a real revelation. If I had a hat I'd tip it too him. 

The Mariah May/Toni Storm turm was as magnificent as you have all described. Actually shocking in its brutality. The only thing that took me out of it for a second was Luther's bump from the stage through the tables. Why he felt the need to roll in like Tony Khan rolling down a ramp is beyond me. Take the accepted form of bump from stage to tables, which is straight back. The angle itself though, all the stars.