Hangman with the "don't write in the paper that I got mad" reference was fucking funny.

Decent Dynamite, overall. Takeshita vs Ospreay at Revolution should be insanely good.

Taven really impressed me. That bump on the tope into the table...fuck.

Also, Revolution looks like it's going to be an AEW all-timer, at least just going by the matches we have announced:

FTR vs BCC (Mox and Claudio)

Ospreay vs Takeshita

Storm vs Purrazzo

OC vs Roddy Strong

Danielson vs Kingston

Joe vs Swerve vs Hangman

Sting/Darby vs The EVPs

And you just know they'll add another couple matches.

Edited by 69MeDon

Another Dynamite that, for me, suffered a bit due to the way it was ordered. I get the idea of opening with a good match - but that only really works when the outcome is hard to call. Dax Harwood isn't defeating Jon Moxley, so you're sitting there watching a long match, waiting for the inevitable. For me, it takes the wind out of the sails of the show before it even gets underway. Imagine if they'd started off with the Joe/Swerve/Hangman segment? 

I don't know if I'm alone in feeling this way, but the BCC is at Jericho Appreciation Society levels of 'go away' for me. Moxley doesn't feel anywhere near as big a deal as he once did, and Danielson - on his final year in wrestling - doesn't feel anywhere near as big as he should. Claudio has benefitted from being there, but Yuta hasn't made any real progress since he was initiated into the group as far as his role in the company goes. 

I may have missed something, but why on earth was Matt Taven in a Texas Death Match with Orange Cassidy? Wasting a gimmick match on another 'AEW special' of a competitive match with an obvious outcome is an odd thing to do. 

I'm sure Takeshita vs. Ospreay will be great, but I'm not crazy about good matches for the sake of good matches. I need to feel invested in the outcome, so I hope they make the effort to do that. Perhaps Ospreay decides to go solo or something. I do think they need to reassess how the Don Callis family works. It's not about the wrestlers within, it's mostly about Callis. And he's a bit shit, really. 

I know I've been very negative - but Joe is fantastic as champion. Swerve is great, and Hangman's descent into heel territory is working really, really well. I'm all for Joe having a long reign, but there's something that fits about the idea of Swerve beating a heel Hangman for the title at some point this year. 

1 hour ago, 69MeDon said:

Hangman with the "don't write in the paper that I got mad" reference was fucking funny.

Decent Dynamite, overall. Takeshita vs Ospreay at Revolution should be insanely good.

Taven really impressed me. That bump on the tope into the table...fuck.

Also, Revolution looks like it's going to be an AEW all-timer, at least just going by the matches we have announced:

FTR vs BCC (Mox and Claudio)

Ospreay vs Takeshita

Storm vs Purrazzo

OC vs Roddy Strong

Danielson vs Kingston

Joe vs Swerve vs Hangman

Sting/Darby vs The EVPs

And you just know they'll add another couple matches.

Isn't that on Dynamite next week or have I misread?!

@RedRooster Completely agree about the running order taking away from the show.  Matt Taven is in your main event?  Something's wrong there.  Moxley and Harwood surely should have been the main event.  

Some good matches but considering the amount of talent on the roster this felt a bit B-show.  Very few bouts with actual stakes, just a series of slightly random match-ups.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I'm sure Takeshita vs. Ospreay will be great, but I'm not crazy about good matches for the sake of good matches. I need to feel invested in the outcome, so I hope they make the effort to do that. Perhaps Ospreay decides to go solo or something. I do think they need to reassess how the Don Callis family works. It's not about the wrestlers within, it's mostly about Callis. And he's a bit shit, really. 

I assume the end result is Ospreay going babyface against Callis, maybe taking Kyle Fletcher with him. Aussie Open were booked on the Jericho Cruise, so that's Mark Davis due back soon too; as much as you'd think the conventional wisdom is to throw Ospreay in right at the main event level, there's not a clear fit for him in the Joe/Hangman/Swerve situation which is likely to go on past Revolution, so there's worse things they can do with him than Trios matches with Aussie Open until everything is moved around enough to get to him challenging for the World Title at All In.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

may have missed something, but why on earth was Matt Taven in a Texas Death Match with Orange Cassidy? Wasting a gimmick match on another 'AEW special' of a competitive match with an obvious outcome is an odd thing to do. 

I'm sure Takeshita vs. Ospreay will be great, but I'm not crazy about good matches for the sake of good matches.

They were in Texas, so probably just a last minute thing to sell more tickets and Ospreay is 100% going to either turn on or be betrayed by Don Callis.

A perfectly fine episode which could have been way better with a different running order and better use of their minutes. For example: we've seen a million Wardlow squashes now and he should have moved past them, use this TV time for something else. The Bucks/Darby segment didn’t require a match with Top Flight before it at all.

The BCC are a bit of a non entity at the moment. I don't think you necessarily need to split them up but they could definitely do with a bit of a break from eachother for a bit. I was hoping Moxley was going to get involved in the Kingston/Danielson story, that would have been very interesting. Alas.

The Don Callis Family is a great idea in theory but getting sucked into the Jericho shit vortex meant they've had nothing but inconsistent and cold booking for ages now. With a bit of work they could be so much more.

Darby rambling a load of complete bollocks. Just talk about Sting and the tag titles, that's all that matters! The shooty stuff is so unnecessary for this story.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Ospreay is 100% going to either turn on or be betrayed by Don Callis.

Much as I dislike Ospreay as a person, the idea of him feuding with Callis and them eventually doing an Ospreay/Omega tag match against some variation of the Callis family sounds tremendous. 

That Title Match segment was fantastic. As great as Swerve is a shit bag, Hangman is losing his mind (his eventual 'Bret shoves Vince over' moment, fully turning him into Bret the Hangman TA '97 will be amazing), I LOVED Joe more. Just telling them both, cut your shit, I'm the champion and I'll fuck you both up. Lovely stuff. Doesn't even need a story to finish.

• Paid Members

Samoa Joe just brings a credibility to every promo he does, even when he's being wordy and long-winded, he feels like a professional fighter who knows the title means he's the best, not like a guy doing wrestling promos. I love every time he mentions the "championship committee". 

Hangman becoming petty and obsessed enough that he's more focused on Swerve losing than on himself winning is going to be his downfall, and I love it.

26 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Samoa Joe just brings a credibility to every promo he does, even when he's being wordy and long-winded, he feels like a professional fighter who knows the title means he's the best, not like a guy doing wrestling promos. I love every time he mentions the "championship committee". 

I'm absolutely baffled as to why WWE chose to get rid of him. If Triple H had been in charge sooner, I'm sure he'd have stuck around - but I don't understand why he ended up being cast aside in the way that he was. But WWE's loss is AEW's gain, he's been tremendous. 

• Paid Members

Anyone hoping Will Ospreay turns on Don Callis needs to be careful what they wish for.

IMG_7612.gif.f1e937b40ca61eff69fb586cb854e62b.gif

The Vortex looms large. He’s probably already pitched the inevitable Jericho/Ospreay vs. Hobbs/Takeshita four-month saga. Probably already trademarked some bullshit name, too. Code Bladers.

Another good show.

Highlight of the show was obviously the three-way promo with Hangman, Swerve and Samoa Joe. Absolutely electric. Three lads at the apex of performance. I must have flip-flopped about ten times during this one promo on who I want to see win at the pay per view. All of them are so perfect right now that it’s almost impossible deciding who you should put the belt on. The poise and confidence in Swerve’s delivery is phenomenal, Hangman losing his mind is brilliant and Samoa Joe delivering that final line was a nice reminder that he’s the most authentic hard case in the business. What a difficult choice Tony has.

Worst part of the show was Darby Allin absolutely shitting the bed. What the fuck was that?! It should have been the easiest promo of his life. Plucky, fiery babyface, vows revenge for the dastardly attack, challenging them for the big match at the pay per view. But instead, he seems more angry about Brandon Cutler getting signed before him. What a meta mess. Extra shit when it completely undermined what had been a great match from the Bucks, brilliantly getting over their new characters. Phenomenal bit of heat pushing over Tony Schiavone, too. I love that in a medium where people will practically murder each other and break into their homes to terrorise their children, putting your hands on our ‘Tone is still one step too far. The ultimate transgression.

Also, I think it was someone on here who brought it to my attention first, but once you notice how Darby Allin takes ridiculously massive breaths during his promos, like he’s drowning, you absolutely cannot focus on anything else. It’s all you can hear. The most *UUUURGH* distracting *UUUURGGGGGHH* thing *URRRRRRRGGGGGGHH* ever. Forget medical staff running out there to help Copeland. Someone needs to run out there with an oxygen mask for Darby! Lad’s gonna die!

Really good match between Cope and Garcia. Super unusual non-finish for AEW, but they do them so few and far between that I’m willing to see where it goes. Surely not another three way at the pay per view?

Matt Taven in the main event sounded like the weirdest choice imaginable, but fair play. Lad was game. I’ve never particularly rated him, but he put in the performance of a lifetime here. That dive into the table was brutal! This turned into a really fun little hardcore match, and probably the highlight of Orange Cassidy’s second title reign thus far, so no complaints from me. It’s just more callbacks to 2021 again, isn’t it? Tony Khan realises he’s still got weeks until the pay per view, needs a TV main event, so just sends out an e-mail asking if anyone wants to do a bonkers hardcore match filled with blood and gimmicks. Who cares if it makes sense. Just go make a spectacle and try not to die.

Get on that pay per view though. Looks like an all-timer. Cannot wait.

IMG_7609.thumb.jpeg.0b930543249181357dde18010710a925.jpeg

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Surely not another three way at the pay per view?

I'm guessing Garcia vs Christian at Revolution (which will be a fucking banger) and save Copeland/Cage 3 for TV. Revolution doesn't really need it, the card is already insane.

Edited by LaGoosh

Does Sting retire AT Revolution? I can't remember the wording exactly. Is it just his last match and he'll get the next Dynamite as a tribute or is Revolution it for him?

Presumably Flair turns on him and allows the Bucks to win by throwing a can of his stupid drink at his balls.