Gigs you can watch at home of the day thread

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I watch lots of gigs on youtube and the like either in the background while I'm drawing or pottering about or alternatively just to immerse myself in a live performance as my entertainment for the evening. I'm always looking for more or ones i wouldn't have thought of and I thought it might make a decent thread (I don't think there's one already). Kind of like a longform live stepchild of the song of the day thread

So here is a place to post gigs from YouTube or whatever. Post whatever gigs or live performances you want in any genre, However i have made some rules of conduct in this thread to retain quality and these must be obeyed or I will beg chest rockwell to suspend you. 

Rules are in the spoiler tag

Spoiler

Strictly 1 gig per poster per day maximum

Nothing filmed on a phone from the crowd, however decent full gig bootlegs are fine if they're watchable (especially if it's something older)

No single live songs, gigs must be at least 3 songs or like 15 minutes or something (on the fence about this one)

Things like tiny desk concerts count, as long as it's a live performance it doesn't have to be in front of a traditional crowd at a venue

Post gigs and/or your own opinions, no articles about gigs or lists of best gigs on YouTube or anything like that.

don't just come here to slag off someone's taste unless you're being really funny about it but discussion about posts is encouraged,

Anyway here's a crowd pleaser, Beastie Boys Live Hello Nasty tour 1999, i saw them on this tour with Jungle Brothers supporting and it was amazing. R.I.P MCA

Mac Miller Tiny Desk Concert

Filmed a month before his untimely death, I watch this probably once a month and can't make it through the performance of 2009 without crying.

When he says "Weight of the world, I gotta carry my own" it makes me lose it every single time.

But this isn't depressing! It's a great, fun performance.

• Paid Members

How many of y’all came to party with The Gap Band tonight?

This always puts a smile on my face. I’m ashamed to say I only really got into them proper last year after I saw an interview with Dave Grohl. He said when he was in Nirvana he copied the drummer from the Gap Band and you can really hear it. 

Some bangers in this video but also lots of other gigs on YouTube that are much longer in you’re interested! Great idea for a thread 

7 minutes ago, waters44 said:

This always puts a smile on my face. I’m ashamed to say I only really got into them proper last year after I saw an interview with Dave Grohl. He said when he was in Nirvana he copied the drummer from the Gap Band and you can really hear it. 

I love Pharrells reaction when Dave tells him that.

I really enjoy people, even when they've reached the top of their chosen creative profession, marking out like we all do when we find something out like that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

REM in 85?  Yes please! 

Watching this now, it's sublime. I've seen hundreds of gigs but never seeing R.E.M is one of my only gig regrets.

Edit: the version of "have you ever seen the rain" I just saw them do here can also go on the extremely short list of cover songs that are good.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

37 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Watching this now, it's sublime.

I know how it sounds but the IRS years were my favourite, they were unfuckwittable for those five albums. I’d loved to have seen them back then. I used to be obsessed with REM! Still love them now of course. 

49 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

never seeing R.E.M is one of my only gig regrets.

Absolutely concur with this. I've seen pretty much everyone else I've wanted to (obviously not people who are dead) but I can't imagine how good it would've been to see them live, even now. 

Don't think they ever will but you never know.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I know how it sounds but the IRS years were my favourite, they were unfuckwittable for those five albums. I’d loved to have seen them back then. I used to be obsessed with REM! Still love them now of course. 

Green is my fave, green through monster were playing often in my house as a youngster.  And i loved the IRS stuff when I tracked it down a bit later. They were still great til they broke up as well. Amazing band

17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Don't think they ever will but you never know.

Obviously you can never say never when there’s large amounts of money to be made, but I think they’re done. I was reading an interview with Mike Mills recently and it didn’t seem like something he was bothered about.

• Moderators

Boubacar Traore live show. This is the first part but there's a part two on there as well. The best live Blues I've ever seen when I saw them in London. This show is great. It's amazing how full the sound is for just an acoustic guitar, that one drum and a harmonica. Makes it really different from the albums in a nice way too. The harmonica player is excellent, same guy who came to London with him. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I watch lots of gigs on youtube and the like either in the background while I'm drawing or pottering about or alternatively just to immerse myself in a live performance as my entertainment for the evening. I'm always looking for more or ones i wouldn't have thought of and I thought it might make a decent thread (I don't think there's one already). Kind of like a longform live stepchild of the song of the day thread

So here is a place to post gigs from YouTube or whatever. Post whatever gigs or live performances you want in any genre, However i have made some rules of conduct in this thread to retain quality and these must be obeyed or I will beg chest rockwell to suspend you. 

Rules are in the spoiler tag

Hide contents

Strictly 1 gig per poster per day maximum

Nothing filmed on a phone from the crowd, however decent full gig bootlegs are fine if they're watchable (especially if it's something older)

No single live songs, gigs must be at least 3 songs or like 15 minutes or something (on the fence about this one)

Things like tiny desk concerts count, as long as it's a live performance it doesn't have to be in front of a traditional crowd at a venue

Post gigs and/or your own opinions, no articles about gigs or lists of best gigs on YouTube or anything like that.

don't just come here to slag off someone's taste unless you're being really funny about it but discussion about posts is encouraged,

Anyway here's a crowd pleaser, Beastie Boys Live Hello Nasty tour 1999, i saw them on this tour with Jungle Brothers supporting and it was amazing. R.I.P MCA

There's a great Beasties gig I watch sometimes in YouTube that was from an MTV show. I think they're in the Netherlands. 

Document #5 and Monster are my favorite REM albums. I remember watching a live video of them with a friend and I think they were touring Monster at the time. They used Kurt Cobain's Jagstang for Let Me In. 

Anyway, here's Daft Punk in I think Chicago on their Alive 2007 tour. I saw them in Leeds and it's the best gig I've ever been to. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz