Returning "Home"

The King of Old School

The last 15 year's or so has been pretty wild for returns to the WWE for big names, some at the time you probably thought you would never see in a WWE ring again.

2011 - The Rock

2012 - Brock Lesnar

2014 - Ultimate Warrior

2014 - Sting (Not a return I know but still)

2016 - Goldberg

2017 - Kurt Angle

2020 - Edge

2022 - Stone Cold (Wrestling anyway)

2023 - CM Punk

So my question is, is CM Punk the last "big" return that could possibly happen now?

Or have I missed someone obvious somewhere? (apart from Zack Ryder obviously)

Edited by The King of Old School

These things are fluid. We’ve probably moved past the point of having a shocking Attitude/Ruthless Aggression return to look forward to, but I’d say there’s still people like Mox and even Danielson who over the coming years would be seen as a big return.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

There are a few.

For me, the big one is John Moxley - a Shield reunion would be huge, although the obvious choice to go against would be the Bloodline, which creates issues.  Individual feuds against Reigns amongst others would happily fill out a few years of booking.  There is absolutely money to be made in The Shield.

I guess you could make an argument that Chris Jericho could have one more top run in WWE?  He's not been gone that long though.

Everyone else has either come back, is retired or dead. Or someone nobody misses, like Mr Kennedy or Ryback. 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Jericho definitely ends up back there, doesn’t he?

Yes, now that Vince no longer has a hand on the wheel. He literally only stepped away (eventually) after YEARS of promises from Vince being personally broken by Vince, until finally having the Owens/Universal title match for Mania 33 reneged upon… so he did McMahon the courtesy of telling him Wrestle Kingdom was a one off then went back on that one himself. Which he was fully entitled to, not being under a WWE contract.

If Y2J trusts Hunter more than he did the old man - and there’s plenty of recent examples that people in general do - then he’ll come back if he likes what he hears and believes it will happen, and not that he’s being promised a Ryback to end up receiving a Fandango.

Outside of Moxley, I don’t think there’s anyone who fits the criteria. A Chris Jericho return wouldn’t feel quite as shocking to me, given that he didn’t leave WWE on bad terms.

The only other shocking ‘homecoming’ I can think of that is still possible would be Cody Rhodes returning to AEW. Given his value to WWE and his apparent clash of philosophies with Tony Khan, it feels incredibly unlikely - and it would be kind of surreal to see him step foot in an AEW ring once more. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RedRooster said:

A Chris Jericho return wouldn’t feel quite as shocking to me, given that he didn’t leave WWE on bad terms.

I don't think its possible to leave on better terms than to get a contract with the closest WWE have to a competitor, then do Steve Austin's podcast and have it air on Peacock while still actively working for said competitor.

Up there with Mickie James wearing an Impact belt on the way to the ring for a Royal Rumble. But still not as surreal as the WWF's Taz beating WCW's Mike Awesome in ECW for the ECW title.