Returning "Home"

The King of Old School

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, ElBigFella said:

For example - someone like MJF showing up in WWE could be pretty remarkable.

And yet, I can't think of anyone whose skill set would make a better AEW-WWE transplant than him.

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There's a few guys who, if they got brought in for a Hall of Fame induction, would be a surprise - Raven, Ken Shamrock, Demolition, and so on - but nothing that would have people losing their minds.

"Who the fuck invited Raven??"

vince mcmahon wrestling GIF by WWE

Edited by air_raid

The difficulty in bringing in someone like an MJF or some name that really made themselves in AEW and that company alone is that you have to wonder how the WWE casual audience would even react. I don't think they're all guaranteed home runs. There are plenty of people out there who don't even really know that much about AEW. So obviously you can have someone like Cody who is an easy win. I guess logically you'd go down the Jade route of making the signing seem like a big deal and then the fans should buy into that.

In many ways I think we’re going back to the dynamic we had after WCW folded where the big shocks were people from WCW coming across - Hogan, Nash, Sting, Goldberg etc.

Whilst probably it wouldn’t have the same impact as Punk (which I think was a fairly unique case given the sheer vitriol involved and the controversy that’s followed him), I think if people like Omega, the Bucks, Okada, Ospreay and as mentioned prior, MJF were to jump across - you’d get a big reaction. 

We’re fortunate that we have two companies with great rosters, both with talent that have massively evolved over the last 4-5 years. I honestly believe it’s the best time to be a wrestling fan since 2000 and there remains huge possibilities and fantasy matches.

• Paid Members

Would it be a big deal if AJ Styles showed up? I don't know how he's doing in WWE at the moment. I remember he had a pretty impressive debut for someone they didn't create.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I remember he had a pretty impressive debut for someone they didn't create.

He had a hell of a first year to be honest. Main event inside six months, beating John Cena clean by SummerSlam and WWE Champion a month after that. I think only Lesnar and Goldberg off the top of my head won World titles quicker after debut this century than AJ.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, air_raid said:

He had a hell of a first year to be honest. Main event inside six months, beating John Cena clean by SummerSlam and WWE Champion a month after that. I think only Lesnar and Goldberg off the top of my head won World titles quicker after debut this century than AJ.

A story I like about AJ starting in WWE was that Vince wasn't a fan because he was wrestling a generic safe babyface style and told AJ he needed to be more aggressive. Later that night in their match AJ beat the absolute shit out of The Miz including breaking his nose and Vince's reaction was "that was exactly what I was looking for".

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

A story I like about AJ starting in WWE was that Vince wasn't a fan because he was wrestling a generic safe babyface style and told AJ he needed to be more aggressive. Later that night in their match AJ beat the absolute shit out of The Miz including breaking his nose and Vince's reaction was "that was exactly what I was looking for".

That's fantastic. Although my favourite memory around his actual debut was...

On 11/27/2023 at 11:16 AM, air_raid said:

Having argued the toss early year about why AJ didn't go to NXT (as some predicted) - you don't lure someone away from renewing with New Japan and pay them "AJ Styles money" to let them sit in developmental for six months before getting some ROI

.... some of the silly sausages actually thinking he was going to NXT first.

10 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

The difficulty in bringing in someone like an MJF or some name that really made themselves in AEW and that company alone is that you have to wonder how the WWE casual audience would even react. I don't think they're all guaranteed home runs. There are plenty of people out there who don't even really know that much about AEW. So obviously you can have someone like Cody who is an easy win. I guess logically you'd go down the Jade route of making the signing seem like a big deal and then the fans should buy into that.

MJF is great but part of what makes him great is that the fans of AEW have watched his journey and followed his story to the top. He’s got all the tools to be a top guy in WWE but Bobby Roode had a similar journey in TNA and it doesn’t translate over to WWE where they might as well have never existed pre WWE. That said he’s young enough and has plenty of time to work his way up in WWE should he wish, which he absolutely should.

9 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

MJF is great but part of what makes him great is that the fans of AEW have watched his journey and followed his story to the top. He’s got all the tools to be a top guy in WWE but Bobby Roode had a similar journey in TNA and it doesn’t translate over to WWE where they might as well have never existed pre WWE. That said he’s young enough and has plenty of time to work his way up in WWE should he wish, which he absolutely should.

I hate the mentality that your fave should instantly be shoved into the top of the card. Personally, someone like MJF, I want to see him steadily rise up the roster. 

A year funding with mid card faces. Win the US belt, with the ic belt, win the tag titles (with cody), start feeding bigger guys, win the world title.