News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

I'm genuinely shocked to see this, I was  convinced he would get off and be found not guilty just because it's him and money and power impacts on so much in America.

The part i really don't and can't understand is he's the first president to have criminal charges but one of the charges was removing classified documents from the white house which is a pretty serious crime and yet he's still allowed to run for re-election and second term in office. I do understand this isn't something seen before so there's few or no laws in place in case it was or has happened but jesus how can a country as important as america allow and accept someone like Trump to potentially be elected and placed back into the place he's just been found guilty in court of wrongdoing. It seems reckless and mental to allow that man back in power

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:

but one of the charges was removing classified documents from the white house which is a pretty serious crime and yet he's still allowed to run for re-election and second term in office

He hasn't been found guilty of that, though: that's a separate trial which, frustratingly, has been indefinitely postponed. The 34 charges yesterday are all tied to the hush-money payments used to prevent information which would've influenced the 2016 election from emerging.

(Not that he would ever admit it but he lost the popular vote anyway. It's not unreasonable to think that he would've lost the Electoral College too, although the "grab 'em by the pussy" thing didn't seem to do much harm with the Bible Belt, so who knows ... )

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

That's what I suspected, sadly. They don't actually believe things are rigged, so much as they're like toddlers who have learned the phrase "IT'S NOT FAIR" when their interpretation of "fair" is "giving me what I want right now". 

I still stand by that the best thing coming of this is that he won't have gained any support from it, but it'll be complacence and apathy wot wins it.

They'll pat themselves on the back and proudly declare that due to all their MAGA efforts they wouldn't dare try to rig it a second time. Plenty will believe it too.

• Paid Members

Biden is attempting to get Hamas and  Israel to agree to a hostage release deal. Which will hopefully lead to a ceasefire. He took the time to implore Israeli hardliners to accept the deal and currently the ball seems to be in Hamas court.

6 hours ago, BigJag said:

Biden is attempting to get Hamas and  Israel to agree to a hostage release deal. Which will hopefully lead to a ceasefire. He took the time to implore Israeli hardliners to accept the deal and currently the ball seems to be in Hamas court.

Israel rejected any deal.

• Paid Members

Israel and the US carried out a hostage rescue today. The reports say that they infiltrated a refugee camp. Engaged in a fire fight with Hamas and then covered their escape by bombing the refugee camp. 

Four hostages rescued. Hundreds of civilians/refugees killed and injured.

18 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Israel and the US carried out a hostage rescue today. The reports say that they infiltrated a refugee camp. Engaged in a fire fight with Hamas and then covered their escape by bombing the refugee camp. 

Four hostages rescued. Hundreds of civilians/refugees killed and injured.

So Hamas WERE using a refugee camp to hold hostages? Utter cunts. 

I’ve seen (unverified) reports that among those murdered were more hostages, and horrific footage of massacred civilians 

• Paid Members

I think that Hamas being in the refugee camps has been the case all along. Israel have used a scorched earth policy in there campaign against Hamas.

Today's operation is reported to have been carried out using an aid vehicle. It does appear that other hostages were killed during the operation.