Invent A Gimmick Match!

air_raid

• Paid Members

I remember coming up with one years ago, but it would only work for promotions with a big screen so the whole crowd can see:

Killer Kountdown

Both wrestlers start with 30, 20, or 10 counts. Every time there's a pinfall attempt, for every time the ref's hand hits the mat, a count is deducted from the guy being pinned (obvs). Whoever goes down to zero first loses.

Blocky(buster)

shit name but i’m tired. Based on the excellent game ‘Block 1 2 3’

One person starts in the ring and other wrestlers (let’s say 6/8) have to reach a turnbuckle and touch it, they start from various locations in the arena.

The wrestler in the ring has to cut them off and pin/submit them, if they successfully pin/submit them that wrestler joins their team and helps them to pin/submit other wrestlers trying to get to the turnbuckle. 

I guess the wrestler who starts off alone gets a title shot if they stop every wrestler getting to the turnbuckle. Any wrestler who manages to get there gets the same. 

The Iron Man Eliminator - can be done as a triple threat, 4 way, 5 way or 6 pack challenge, 60 mins long, competitors are eliminated if they’re pinned 3 times, whoever has been pinned the fewest after 60 minutes wins

One that wouldn’t work but was a staple of my figure fed when I decided I was bored of playing was what I called the Endless Pit of Survival which was essentially a battle royal with one side of the ring right at the edge of my bed with my figure box underneath. If you went over that side, in the ‘pit’ you went, anywhere else you had to jump in voluntarily. Last figure standing would be housed on my bookshelf till the next night’s ‘action’

One match I made for an old TEW game I ran was an "I Quit" cage match where the loser was the first one to voluntarily leave the cage as a twist on the more traditional non cage version. Basically a feud ender where two wrestlers batter each other senseless in a cage until one has had enough.

Another cage idea was the Perspex box match where the cage is replaced by thickened Perspex meaning nobody can get in/ out but you can see in nicely.

I liked the idea of a traffic light tag team match too where you have two (red/green) or three (red/amber/green) people in a team and the light changes color randomly meaning another person on that team must tag in/ can be pinned for that time period. 

12 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

If its not too far off topic can I suggest a gimmick championship?

A tag team championship where only the pinned man loses the belt to the wrestler scoring the pin.

Love that idea!

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

A last blood match. 

8 participants, similar to Stadium Stampede. Except the person to bleed last is the winner. Moxley will always be the first eliminated followed by Danielson and it'll last about 30 seconds. Of course an AEW specific stip.  

It's been done, TWA did it late in it's run IIRC.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

One that wouldn’t work but was a staple of my figure fed when I decided I was bored of playing was what I called the Endless Pit of Survival which was essentially a battle royal with one side of the ring right at the edge of my bed with my figure box underneath. If you went over that side, in the ‘pit’ you went, anywhere else you had to jump in voluntarily. Last figure standing would be housed on my bookshelf till the next night’s ‘action’

Fig fed antics aside - and Damien won his fair share of Rumbles at my mate’s house - it does give me an idea cobbling together aspects of two WCW gimmicks - the Double Chance battle royal. Everyone starts in Ring 1, when eliminated you have to go to Ring 2 and continue. When eliminated from Ring 2, your night is over. When there is one guy left in each ring, they continue. Of course, to win the match, the Ring 2 winner must eliminate the Ring 1 winner twice, whereas Ring 1 winner only has to throw out Ring 2 winner once.

A reverse Royal Rumble.

30 men (or persons) start off outside the ring and have to throw their opponents into the ring. Once thrown into the ring, the buzzer sounds and that wrestler has to walk back down the aisle with their music playing and put a ball with their number of elimination back into the ball spinner in a tidy fashion. Winner is barred from having a title shot of their choosing at Wrestlemania.

4 minutes ago, BigD747 said:

A reverse Royal Rumble.

30 men (or persons) start off outside the ring and have to throw their opponents into the ring. Once thrown into the ring, the buzzer sounds and that wrestler has to walk back down the aisle with their music playing and put a ball with their number of elimination back into the ball spinner in a tidy fashion. Winner is barred from having a title shot of their choosing at Wrestlemania.

Without looking, I reckon TNA have done this.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, simonworden said:

One match I made for an old TEW game I ran was an "I Quit" cage match where the loser was the first one to voluntarily leave the cage as a twist on the more traditional non cage version. Basically a feud ender where two wrestlers batter each other senseless in a cage until one has had enough.

IIRC that was the Builder's Cage match that WAW used to do back in the day. Don't know if they still do it though.

Not really a gimmick match so much as a gimmick show, but I've always thought having a heel authority figure announcing that the babyface champion's title is on the line, falls count anywhere style, for the rest of the night would make for a good episode. 

I know people would get snotty about using the 24/7 gimmick on a world title but fuck it. 

6 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Not really a gimmick match so much as a gimmick show, but I've always thought having a heel authority figure announcing that the babyface champion's title is on the line, falls count anywhere style, for the rest of the night would make for a good episode. 

I know people would get snotty about using the 24/7 gimmick on a world title but fuck it. 

Not the same but reminds me of when Vince put the bounty on Stone Cold's head, I wanna say Rumble 99?