Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Come on you Hammers! Look at all the great Champions League moments had over the past 15 years.

Who can forget 'Mr West Ham' Mark Noble scoring a penalty?

Or Mark Noble scoring a penalty?

That incredible penalty scored by Mark Noble in 2019?

MARK FUCKING NOBLE treating the team to a 1980s social club party spread after winning their first trophy since the Cold War?

FB_IMG_1715720583692.thumb.jpg.316b1e44537dc52df7cf001400ac6e2b.jpg

These are some of the greatest moments in the history of the club. Who wants to see more of these? I certainly do! Then get the job done against City on Sunday!

Do it for Bobby Moore, do it for Billy Bonds, John Lyall, Dmitri 'he never loved you as much as you loved him' Payet, Jermaine Defoe, Danny Dyer and his daughter, Alf Garnett, Trevor Morley, Dean Ashton's ankles, the hundreds of other strikers whose careers died at the club, James Corden and Elijah Wood in that shit movie.

But for fuck's sake, just get it done. COYI

It’s one thing going all COYS when there’s a faint chance they might pull off a draw or something but to even waste your time trying to gee up West Ham away to City is just sad. Concede man.

Just now, Mr_Danger said:

It’s one thing going all COYS when there’s a faint chance they might pull off a draw or something but to even waste your time trying to gee up West Ham away to City is just sad. Concede man.

Nah allow it. We haven't had a proper breakdown on this place for ages.

• Paid Members

This is a slightly more underwhelming turn, PunkStep. You've just rejoined the ranks of "We Hate Tottenham More Than You" singers.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

A little too cautious an approach from someone named Mr Danger, for my liking.

5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Nah allow it. We haven't had a proper breakdown on this place for ages.

I still remember being in his position a few years ago when Villa were at City. I was dancing dressed as a chicken on a stage in front of hundreds of people after my kids had volunteered me at a Dinosaur exhibition show. Even after finding out that Villa were 2-0 up I knew the day had already peaked and it was a steady decline from then on.

• Paid Members

When Ange was with us as Celtic he simply had to win. There was no other option - even when he walked into the job at a club in crisis with about 13 first team players on the books, Scott Brown just left and a huge discontent between fans and board. The fans still expected him to challenge for the title and he surpassed all possible expectations. The man is a serial winner and you could see that almost immediately after his arrival at Celtic and throughout a very unconvincing start to his first season where he lost 3 out of the first 6 games. 

To go from that to a team where it seems to be considered a success to finish anywhere between 4th and 7th must be quite the culture shock to him. I don't pay much attention to the English game but I tuned in last night to the last 20 minutes or so given it was billed as a potential title decider and it was mental watching Spurs fans celebrating Man City beating them and celebrating like they'd won something. You finished 3 places below Arsenal and missed out on the Champions League!! Sorry but that's a wee club mentality for me and absolutely tinpot. If anyone can turn that sort of negative mentality around, it's Ange Postecoglou but for a man who is a perennial winner to be at a club which - at least to me from the outside looking in - seems to be a club of serial losers, seems like quite the mismatch. Striving for mediocrity is not at all what Ange is about. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Do you not remember final day 1995? I do! West Ham can do it!

Erling Haaland ain't Andy Cole and Alphonse Areola ain't Ludek Miklosko.

24 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

seems to be a club of serial losers, seems like quite the mismatch

I mean he absolutely would've known our history before coming in, so it's not really is it?

He's there to completely transform the club, and once again, he is a manager doing a professional job, and not a tribal fan.

He will never care as much about Spurs or the rivalry with Arsenal like I do, it's impossible to do so.

It's his biggest challenge, and he could've stayed at Celtic where let's be honest there is very little domestic challenge*, and instead taken up a job where he clearly didn't realise just what it was like until you're completely inside it.

Again have zero issue with what he said last night, it must be baffling, but people should only take his words as someone who manages the club, not someone who pays more than a grand a year and IMO can support however they want, as who am I to judge?

*This isn't an invite to tell me how hard playing Ross County is, you have your own thread 😆

At least we've taken it to the final day, just need to handle our own business, take care of Everton and whatever happens in the Man City vs West Ham  game, happens. 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I mean he absolutely would've known our history before coming in, so it's not really is it?

He's there to completely transform the club, and once again, he is a manager doing a professional job, and not a tribal fan.

He will never care as much about Spurs or the rivalry with Arsenal like I do, it's impossible to do so.

It's his biggest challenge, and he could've stayed at Celtic where let's be honest there is very little domestic challenge*, and instead taken up a job where he clearly didn't realise just what it was like until you're completely inside it.

Again have zero issue with what he said last night, it must be baffling, but people should only take his words as someone who manages the club, not someone who pays more than a grand a year and IMO can support however they want, as who am I to judge?

*This isn't an invite to tell me how hard playing Ross County is, you have your own thread 😆

My issue with the idea of 'winning mentality' is the absurd suggestion that it's something fans have to have. You want managers to be pissed off they lost regardless of the circumstances, but it's not incumbent on the fans to want to win at all costs. 

As a football fan, I just have an 'enjoyment mentality', and if I personally enjoy watching a rival miss out on a championship - even if in the short term my team has to lose - that's fine. No biggie.

I'm not a Spurs fan, but I get it.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Big Ange being a perennial winner pre Spurs is a bit like me being a perennial hard man when they let the parents join in with the kids footy game at the end of training sessions sometimes. Clearly there’s levels.