Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

It will be interesting to see a sort of poll of Tottenham fans or other fans in general of what they would want there team to do if in a similar situation.

I think a fans thinking may come down to locality more than anything

For me being a Sheffield Wednesday fan living on the south coast my hatred of Sheffield United maybe isn't as strong or etched in stone as it would be living locally so for me I would choose win the game and keep CL football on the cards over losing but then I won't have to deal with the fallout as I won't see any of there fans on a daily basis or have It rubbed in my face every opportunity as I don't know any Sheffield untied fan personally so it wouldn't really matter to me much outside of seeing your rival/enemy lift a trophy is naturally never a nice thing

If I knew a load of fans personally maybe I might feel differently about it though

54 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

It will be interesting to see a sort of poll of Tottenham fans or other fans in general of what they would want there team to do if in a similar situation.

I think a fans thinking may come down to locality more than anything

For me being a Sheffield Wednesday fan living on the south coast my hatred of Sheffield United maybe isn't as strong or etched in stone as it would be living locally so for me I would choose win the game and keep CL football on the cards over losing but then I won't have to deal with the fallout as I won't see any of there fans on a daily basis or have It rubbed in my face every opportunity as I don't know any Sheffield untied fan personally so it wouldn't really matter to me much outside of seeing your rival/enemy lift a trophy is naturally never a nice thing

If I knew a load of fans personally maybe I might feel differently about it though

If you’re not feeling the hatred, maybe you should actively seek out the worst elements of Sheff U’s fanbase on Twitter instead of living a more stress-free life…

If you hate another club more than you love your own club, you’re a bellend. Personally, I think Man City, Everton, and Rangers seem to have a larger percentage of these than others. 

At least you can understand with Everton though. It’s been 30 years since they won a trophy, they’re usually struggling, even under Moyes when they were half decent he kind of encouraged that hatred and you can’t really blame them for hating their more successful insufferable ’rivals’ who won’t even muster anything close to hatred back because we just find them funny. It must be proper shit being an Everton fan.

Rangers and City have no excuse, both have loads of recent trophy success and in City’s case they far eclipse United in recent success and player pull.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

City fans don't hate United more than United fans hate City. Right now. But they did before they put down the oil well.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If you hate another club more than you love your own club, you’re a bellend. Personally, I think Man City, Everton, and Rangers seem to have a larger percentage of these than others. 

Yeah but as Cov fans, we haven't really got rivals.

I remember when I was a kid, old boys would have 'WE 8 VILLA' on their shirts. Then after relegation Leicester became the bad guys, but you never really got the impression either of them cared as much as Cov fans. My dad says it was Wolverhampton when he was a kid, too.

I think I'd like a proper rivalry, like a Celtic/Rangers or Arsenal/Spurs or whatever.  It seems like fun.

2 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It seems like fun.

It's not. I personally would like it if both clubs agreed before the season started on not playing the two games per season and agreeing to two 0-0 draws. Watching those matches is horrific.

Even worse is having one Arsenal supporting child and one Spurs supporting child. But it does make choosing a favourite child very easy I must say.

1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Yeah but as Cov fans, we haven't really got rivals.

I remember when I was a kid, old boys would have 'WE 8 VILLA' on their shirts. Then after relegation Leicester became the bad guys, but you never really got the impression either of them cared as much as Cov fans. My dad says it was Wolverhampton when he was a kid, too.

I think I'd like a proper rivalry, like a Celtic/Rangers or Arsenal/Spurs or whatever.  It seems like fun.

Nah, Leicester are our rivals. We hate Villa but they hate Brum and don’t really care about us. Leicester hate Forest, but they are too busy hating Derby, so we had an unwritten agreement to hate each other. It reached proper hatred in the late 70s and early 80s when they’d smash up our ground and put windows through whenever they visited. 

Whenever I talk to city fans they always have to get a dig in at Utd, usually about something unrelated to whatever we were talking about. No idea if Utd fans do the same to be honest, don’t speak to that many as I live in Manchester. 

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah, Leicester are our rivals. We hate Villa but they hate Brum and don’t really care about us. Leicester hate Forest, but they are too busy hating Derby, so we had an unwritten agreement to hate each other. It reached proper hatred in the late 70s and early 80s when they’d smash up our ground and put windows through whenever they visited. 

Whenever I talk to city fans they always have to get a dig in at Utd, usually about something unrelated to whatever we were talking about. No idea if Utd fans do the same to be honest, don’t speak to that many as I live in Manchester. 

Thing is, at 37 years of age I never once thought about Leicester until after we were relegated. No one spoke about them. Growing up I wouldn't have even have had them in the top 5 teams I couldn't stand, they just weren't a feature and I went to every home game from about 1994 until I left for London in 2012.

Whereas I think those proper rivalries, everyone knows - young and old - who the enemy are. Cov have just had a bunch of generation-specific rivalries. I bet kids today don't even think about Villa.

9 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Thing is, at 37 years of age I never once thought about Leicester until after we were relegated

Really? Even though they were in the top flight with us for quite a few years? 

I don’t mean a rivalry where it’s all good natured joshing, I’m talking about a visceral hatred, the kind that gets violent. And it’s Leicester. 

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Really? Even though they were in the top flight with us for quite a few years? 

I don’t mean a rivalry where it’s all good natured joshing, I’m talking about a visceral hatred, the kind that gets violent. And it’s Leicester. 

Yeah must have been before me, but I've no recollection of that at all.

Checked with my mates and they're all Villa haters too.

Had a scan on the Leicester and Cov forums and it seems neither side agrees on who their main rivals are.

Just the way Big Ange would want it (appreciate debating why the Midlands teams have no clear rivals isn't what this thread was begging for, so will try and nod at the original chat).

6 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Checked with my mates and they're all Villa haters too

Oh yeah, but what I’m getting at is Villa don’t hate us, whereas with Leicester, the feelings mutual. That’s why it’s a rivalry. 

33 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I went to every home game from about 1994 until I left for London in 2012

7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Yeah must have been before me

They came up in 94 and we shared a division for about 6 or 7 seasons. They even won a pair of League Cups!!Heskey seemed to always fucking score against us!!