AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Can't wait to see Andrade vs The Scorpion and The Bullet.

I'm pretty sure Bob Armstrong's dead.

Be nice if any more of the misfit toys showed up. This so far has felt like a local indie where you see the same 8 guys interact in some form every week to take up most of the show. 

13 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I know the Title Eliminators have caused some confusion over the years. Going by the FTR v. BCG match they've added a new wrinkle to give them some stakes. Challenger loses they can't get a title shot during the rest of the champion's reign.

Hasn’t that always been the point of them? Not meaning that as a dig at you, but I thought was always the case

26 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Hasn’t that always been the point of them? Not meaning that as a dig at you, but I thought was always the case

Never recall anyone saying it. Kevin Kelly & Nigel McGuinness made sure to point it out on commentary repeatedly. There's been enough of them I'm sure Excalibur trying to drum it into people would have left some impression on me.

The original point of them was during the Top 5 rankings era. Those outside the Top 5 could earn a potential title shot, and basically give the champion(s) a match on TV that wasn't an official defense.

Jade Cargill's the easiest to check on considering how they padded her record.

Beat Skye Blue and Vertvixen in Eliminators. Would later defend the title against both of them.

Edited by Infinity Land

I’m just chuffed that being a Jay White fanboy like I am and singing his praises on here for years to the non-New Japan watchers of the board can finally get to see what all the fuss is about, it took him a while to get going in AEW but I’m happy to see people begin to take notice of how good he really is. 

7 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think what sticks in the craw the most is, Punk and Omega would have an absolute banger of a match. 

I may be wrong, and there's obviously been a million "reports" doing the rounds, but wasn't it claimed that Punk and Omega spoke shortly after the incident and cleared the air? 

Obviously, we don't know the full story but from the outside looking in, it seems that key figures in the company are looking to try and smooth this shit out. And quite rightly, as there's money to be made here. Punk is a star in the company, and his merchandise sales etc prove that, so having him stuck on one show and not interacting with the top talent is mental, as others have said.

It seems that the company is willing to throw away a lot of money, storylines and have one of their top stars cut off from everyone else based on the feelings of what is a mid-level tag team. If Khan decided to run with Punk vs Omega as a storyline I think we know who would be upset about that.

Absolute insanity.

• Paid Members

I'm going with the possibility that this has all been smoothed out and that maybe they're waiting to finish the BCC/Elite feud before getting the Punk/Elite stuff going.

I don't hugely care about any of it anymore, I just want it done so everyone will stop talking about it and AEW can move past it finally.

As for Collision, I thought the tag and Joe/Punk were both very good. I used to hate Juice Robinson with a passion but he's made me a fan due to sheer force of personality. He's great. Rest of the show was meh. 

While Tony Khan can be commended for his willingness to stick with pushing guys who seem to be missing the mark until they click (they've had a fair few success stories doing it) I will never ever get behind a Scorpio Sky push. The man's been in the business for years and never done anything better than slightly above average. The lesser partner of a solid midcard tag team is his ceiling and should be recognized as such. This latest push will go exactly the same as all the others.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Was a pretty stacked show and ended up watching more of it than I expected. Really didn't like the Punk promo to open - and found encouraging the 'Owen Hart' chants pretty cringy. That said, I liked the outfit nods from Powerhouse and Punk, which both rocked. 

Glad to see Hobbs move away from QT etc. Baffling decision to put him with them at all. He just looks the business so much - I can't remember the last guy who looked so much like an action figure. And Ricky Starks came across as much more of a star this week than the other week's 'I'm in the match to get pinned' role.

Great tag match, and the crowd got *really* into it. Even for all the weird gobbing all over himself, Jay White came out looking like a star.

Punk/Joe was really good, and hopefully Joe has more of a main event role than a one-off. 

On the downside, fuck me, but the commentary made this almost unwatchable. Kevin Kelly doesn't sound like he gives a shit. And Nigel McGuinness sounded awful, particularly when talking about Julia Hart, and talking all about her looks and poise. For the rest of it, he just reminded me of Alan Partridge at times. They desperately need to switch things up there.

I don't feel huge amounts of pull to watch regularly, but individual matches may win me over slowly but surely.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Chris B said:

On the downside, fuck me, but the commentary made this almost unwatchable. Kevin Kelly doesn't sound like he gives a shit. And Nigel McGuinness sounded awful, particularly when talking about Julia Hart, and talking all about her looks and poise. For the rest of it, he just reminded me of Alan Partridge at times. They desperately need to switch things up there.

I don't feel huge amounts of pull to watch regularly, but individual matches may win me over slowly but surely.

Thankfully he’s off for the next 5 weeks or so and Ian Riccaboni is coming in.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Ricky Starks came across as much more of a star this week than the other week's 'I'm in the match to get pinned' role.

I feel like this could be the impetus of a CM Punk heel turn. The only blemish on Punk's record since he returned is a tag match where Starks took the fall, and now they're fighting each other in the tournament final. I can see Punk cheating to win it next week.

I didn't find Kevin Kelly as bad this week but Nigel McGuinness is dreadful. He just spits sentences out like he's got a mouth full of wasps.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Really didn't like the Punk promo to open

Ha, oh yeah I forgot about that. It was proper embarrassing shite. Punk is very bad at sucking up to the fans.

Commentary wise they should have the ROH lads doing Collision with Daddy Magic as the third guy.