AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

Kevin Kelly's like the G-man from Half-Life. He's got such a weird cadence at times. I'm convinced he said "And we...have a new AEW champion" quietly in the middle of a completely unrelated sentence during the opening match. 

But yeah, Saturday night's...alright. 

I think CMFTR will have to turn on Starks, and that will be the start of storytelling on Collision. Apart from that and the occasional House Of Black match, there’s little to draw me in for 2 hours a week

Watched half of that Starks and Juice match and fell asleep. Nigel McGuinness is fucking awful and his shite droning makes Kevin Kelly, who was ace on Forbidden Door, sound awful as well.

Collision is already feeling a bit like all the boring lads in one place. Or like Raw during the first WWE brand split but with Punk cast as HHH.

Has anyone else on here had any issues with the audio and video being out of sync when downloading AEW PPV's at all? Whenever I download in either 720 or 1080p from different sources and sites the audio and video is always slightly out of time with it being particularly noticeable watching the commentators speak in between matches!
I've tried watching the PPV's using just about every media player from vlc to potplayer etc so any help from tech enthusiasts here would be very much appreciated. I wondered if it could it be something to do with AEW shows being in NTSC format at all?

29 minutes ago, blackholesun85 said:

Has anyone else on here had any issues with the audio and video being out of sync when downloading AEW PPV's at all? Whenever I download in either 720 or 1080p from different sources and sites the audio and video is always slightly out of time with it being particularly noticeable watching the commentators speak in between matches!
I've tried watching the PPV's using just about every media player from vlc to potplayer etc so any help from tech enthusiasts here would be very much appreciated. I wondered if it could it be something to do with AEW shows being in NTSC format at all?

You solve this by paying for shows and not stealing them 

• Paid Members

Overall - Show was fine again, some really good action and a number of items progressed. I am respectfully going to tap out reviewing it for the time being (only three shows in, poor form!) as unless there's a PPV on, I quite like having a lie in. There's positives to the show but Dynamite, to me, still feels like the premium flagbearer of a show and that's the one I'd rather keep watching for now. Might pick up again as we get closer to All In. Again though, some stuff definitely worth checking out this week. 

👍 Samoa Joe vs Roderick Strong - Lovely stuff, exactly the sort of thing I want to see on a show called Collision - an actual collision of two bastards clobbering the daylights out of one another, yet mixed in with some technical niceties to add a little extra sauce. I'm indifferent about Punk's commentary stint but I'm well up for a programme with Samoa Joe if that's the route they're going down. 

👍 MJF/Ethan Page business - Wasn't too sure what to make of this at first. With MJF's initial squash of Kip Morst, it just seemed like an odd booking element to chuck in. I know the whole point is that MJF does the bare minimum, but kayfabe or otherwise, putting your World champion against a jobber seems a bit low rent to me. Then, out comes Page and delivers a fiery babyface promo, delivered with serious vinegar, and the resultant match also told a good story around the psychology of Page's knee trouble. I think the biggest issue is that we've spent four years of essentially hating Page, and I know there's a bit of a transition with this Hardy business at the moment, but even for a hometown crowd it's a lot to ask of them to do a complete 180 on someone in one sitting, for a match that almost had too much of a foregone conclusion about it, and I think that was reflected in the reaction. That said, full marks for effort and whilst I've stated some reservations, a good start to proceedings. 

👍 Powerhouse Hobbs vs Dustin Rhodes - Very enjoyable. Dustin elicits sympathy from the audience so easily (I was going to say naturally, but that would have been far too cheap from me) and Hobbs' offence always looks devastating. Simple to digest, very effective and well executed. 

👍 Miro vs Anthony Henry - Now this was an enjoyable squash. Miro looks in fine fettle. This build - whilst done 1000 times to establish a performer's dominance - is a good way to re-establish him.

👍 Ricky Starks vs Juice - Fine and dandy. Can we please move young Ricardo onto something else now though. This business with Juice has gone on long enough. 

👍 Kris Statlander vs Lady Frost - Short but sweet enough. Statlander has already made the TBS title infinitely more interesting with some eye-catching performances in her defences. 

👎 Bullet Club Gold/Gunns - The day that Bullet Club concept officially died and went beyond the realms of caricature. The segment ran far, far too long and the addition of the Gunns is just such an uninspiring and underwhelming move. 

👎 Announce team - Kelly/McGuinness is a pairing that just doesn't do it for me and it really does reduce my overall enjoyment of the show. They lack the enthusiasm and panache of the likes of Excalibur on Dynamite and it just doesn't feel like it clicks. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Louch said:

You solve this by paying for shows and not stealing them 

Not always true. I have had AEW through Fite for years and in the last 6 months or so the shows and PPV’s are often out of sync (TV more often then PPV for some reason).

9 hours ago, blackholesun85 said:

Sounds like it could be a issue on your end with your system, but regardless there's a setting in VLC that can move the audio back or forwards. If using a keyboard it's the J & K keys, just mess with them until it's in sync.

12 hours ago, blackholesun85 said:

In VLC there's an option to adjust the synchronisation.

• Paid Members

It's an absolute goddamn tragedy that Joe/Punk is going to have Kelly and McGuiness on commentary, sapping all the energy and excitement from it. These two arseholes just talk in meaningless sound bites. Completely emotionless PS2 video game commentary. 

Sorry for getting angry about this every single week.

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not always true. I have had AEW through Fite for years and in the last 6 months or so the shows and PPV’s are often out of sync (TV more often then PPV for some reason).

Are you watching it on a FireStick by any chance? There was an update done a few months back that has fucked with the syncing on a few different apps, including Fite. I have to keep restarting my FireStick to get it back to normal.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:39 PM, Vamp said:

Theres something about Collision that feels a little Hogan TNA to me

I'm in!   Loved that era, Nasty Boys on the same show as Team 3D!  

To be honest, the accusation of WWE-lite is always tough as until the last couple of years and AEW, every decent pro wrestler would have been on WWE tv at some point.  There was a moment last year when about 1/2 of Dynamite was the previous year's NXT roster it seemed.  Folks, where's the lie?