AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

It’s mad to think that 31 years to the very day today (29th August) that Wembley had its first wrestling event that everyone was talking about. I can’t say I thought it back then, but certainly in the last 15 years, what with the ‘Manias getting bigger,  I never thought we’d see another sell-out at the venue, unless WWE pulled out all the stops to get on of the major PPV’s over here.

Quick question though – particularly for those who were there, who made up the audience for this weekend’s show?

Wrestling was shit-hot in ’92, and even though there was no internet, it didn’t matter as the product was so strong – but these days the sport hasn’t got the same popularity. Obviously a lot of those in attendances were current fans, but was it lapsed fans? People just looking for a big event for a good day out, or did the hype of the event genuinely bring in new fans who wanted to check it out.   

I have to admit I was one of the sceptics who never thought they’d get that sort of attendance in for it, but really glad they did. It shows again the commitment and strength of the UK fanbase, and hopefully we’ll get even more.

Question is, with 2024 already announced will the WWE try and counter it? In some ways I don’t think HHH is quite so bothered, but had crazy bastard Vince still been in charge he’d be booking Wembley now and trying to get the AEW ITV slot.

But yeah, 31 years to the day and we got this brilliant weekend again. Never thought I‘d see it.    

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Quick question though – particularly for those who were there, who made up the audience for this weekend’s show?

Mostly everyone there appeared to have up to date knowledge of AEW as far as I could tell. About a third of audience seemed to be in Better Than You Bay Bay shirts. I think the biggest crowd reactions were for AEW originals too.

• Paid Members

Yeah, between the amount of people dressed as Orange Cassidy and Darby Allin, to the amount of Better than You Bay Bay T-shirts, to the snaked queues at every single merchandise stand, to the amount of knowledgable chatter and big reactions for characters like Sue, the reason people came to this show in their droves is simple; AEW has connected with a shit load of people across a broad demographic and made it very clear that you can come to their shows for a good time.

The whole thing felt like a victory lap. Hardly any outsiders or legends. Just a core cast of people that built this brand, finally getting their flowers. Guys who put the work in performing to an empty building in Daily’s Place reaping the rewards. If you build it they will come. They built it. I came all night long.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Hey, for the record I said that neither Emi Sakura OR Saraya deserved to be there. I was booing the shit out of her on Sunday, though I think I was the only one.

I was booing as well. 

• Paid Members

I think I'm only just coming down from the whole experience.

I loved it all. It was paced perfectly and the crowd didn't flag once. Not as many arseholes as I expected. The whole atmosphere was fantastic and the booking was mostly spot-on.

I've also done the one thing I never thought I would do and fell in love with London. The last time I went was as an anxiety-riddled 18 year old and I found all of it, the crowds, the tube, it was all so intimidating and overwhelming. And as a result, I've always found London chat to be soul-destroyingly boring. But this time I absolutely loved the place. I've already booked up for a long weekend in a few months just for a wander around.

I fancied a pint after the show so watching thousands of people descend upon Wetherspoons/The Arch etc filled me with dread. Popped my head in a pub 5 minutes down the road (The Corner House) to find about 6 locals in there and nobody else. Cracking pint of Guinness too. Result.

It wasn't all great. AEW starting the pre-show an hour early without telling anyone was disapointing, we timed it so we got in at 5pm and finding out we had missed Jarrett, Miro etc started the night off on a sour note.

Some fella who was mortal drunk in the row infront of me lost his bank card and I found it, leading him to turn around and shake my hand about 15 times when I was trying to watch the main event.

Overall though it was probably one of the best weekends I've had in years.

9 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Some fella who was mortal drunk in the row infront of me lost his bank card and I found it, leading him to turn around and shake my hand about 15 times when I was trying to watch the main event.

That's probably why Punk's driving service never answered the phone when he got off the plane.

Edited by digitalversicolor

15 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I've also done the one thing I never thought I would do and fell in love with London. The last time I went was as an anxiety-riddled 18 year old and I found all of it, the crowds, the tube, it was all so intimidating and overwhelming. And as a result, I've always found London chat to be soul-destroyingly boring. But this time I absolutely loved the place. I've already booked up for a long weekend in a few months just for a wander around.

If Wembley can do that for you, then you're going to love the rest of it. Feel free to start up a thread nearer the time, and I'm sure lots of folks will give you some tips.

London can be a wonderful place, and growing up so near it (refuse to say Hounslow is London as its not and we've had thaf debate) it always felt like we took it for granted, and having worked there (something I never ever want to do again) it became quickly crushing. But I do miss it badly sometimes. Could never live there though.

Really glad you enjoyed your weekend so much.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

If Wembley can do that for you, then you're going to love the rest of it.

We were only really around Wembley during the show and for an hour or so afterwards. We started off in Westminster, had a bit of a nose around there, then our hotel was in Ealing so we had a few hours wandering around there.

Coming from the Midlands where a train turning up within half hour of its expected arrival is a result, the Tube is a godsend.

6 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

We were only really around Wembley during the show and for an hour or so afterwards. We started off in Westminster, had a bit of a nose around there, then our hotel was in Ealing so we had a few hours wandering around there.

Coming from the Midlands where a train turning up within half hour of its expected arrival is a result, the Tube is a godsend.

Ealing has nice parts but there isn't really anything there of note (the studio doesn't even do a tour) although there is a few busses to Wembley and quick access to Westminster and CoL so understand why people stay there. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Reverend said:
It’s mad to think that 31 years to the very day today (29th August) that Wembley had its first wrestling event that everyone was talking about.

In other words, we've got many, MANY years ahead of us of people starting threads commemorating All In and asking what our memories were every 27th August, oblivious to most of those memories being the same as the previous year's thread.

All in all a very enjoyable experience for me live but i did have my share of dick heads. Behind me there were a gang of 4/5 foreign guys (that is relevant to the story) and halfway through Sting match one just started playing music on his phone, this goes on for like 5+ mins and then eventually a guy behind him says mate can you switch that off? It then becomes clear he can't speak English because he keeps replying in foreign and the guy is like I can't understand you, then his mate starts speaking to him, they have an argument in foreign and he begrudgery turns the music off whilst cursing in his language. Why do people think this is acceptable? Also had two guys in front of me, both well over six foot (and for the record, both White British) who just kept standing up at everything , the woman next to me (who was quite short) ended up saying "Do you have to stand for everything? " They did apologies and only stood now and again after that.

But these were minor things from what was an incredible experience. I thought the atmosphere was a lot better than Clash at the Castle, both in and around stadium. No programs for sale really was odd.

I don't think there was a bad match all night, even the matches i wasn't that fussed on I really enjoyed due to the atmosphere. I have never done Mania so I'm really happy I got to experience this.

Still buzzing from it, one of my happiest memories of being a wrestling fan for nearly 40 years.

55 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Yeah, between the amount of people dressed as Orange Cassidy and Darby Allin, to the amount of Better than You Bay Bay T-shirts, to the snaked queues at every single merchandise stand, to the amount of knowledgable chatter and big reactions for characters like Sue, the reason people came to this show in their droves is simple; AEW has connected with a shit load of people across a broad demographic and made it very clear that you can come to their shows for a good time.

The whole thing felt like a victory lap. Hardly any outsiders or legends. Just a core cast of people that built this brand, finally getting their flowers. Guys who put the work in performing to an empty building in Daily’s Place reaping the rewards. If you build it they will come. They built it. I came all night long.

I hadn't really thought about the lack of legends. Sting feels like part of the roster and he wasn't shoehorned in at all. I feel the same about Jericho, Gunn and Christian to be honest. They all contribute regularly on TV a d put effort into staying over rather than relying on the past. Jericho was probably the closest to shoehorned dream match they had. 

• Paid Members

@Lorne MalvoI'm enjoying London more and more. I just got my headphones and sunglasses on and got plodding around. I've not reached the "getting stopped and asked for directions" stage of being comfortable down there like I have done in some other places, but I managed to get on with what I was doing. I think it helps that I love me some public transport and I got to just figure everything out in terms of the tube, and that there were a LOT of wrestling fans down there. Even when I was coming back on the train at 5pm yesterday. I even had the thought of getting down there again for a few days in the week when kids are back at school so it's quieter in the museums. The hostel I stayed at was in a great location. Not too far from Euston, but St Pancras is great for being able to get around the rest of London. 

Something else which i noticed, I was 'up in the rafters' but when Sarhya won there was very little reaction, obviously there was a cheer but from where we were it felt like one of the smallest pops of the night, she wasn't even the most over in the women's match.

I can see how the Knights can 'tune in' to somebody like Tony Khan, her brothers will be on the roster before to long.