Forum Awards - Dolt of the Year 2022

Frankie Crisp

Forum Awards - Dolt of the Year 2022  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

@RalphyV2, may I offer you some advice which I hope you'll take positively, and advice that's meant in a very polite manner. Feel free to tell me where to go. 

I personally think you have potential to make some very positive contributions to the forum. Case in point, the Post a Pic of yourself thread. That's probably quite a tough thread for some people to post in, especially for people who are self-conscious about showing their real selves and real faces behind their avatars online. However, you're a regular contributor to that thread with not just pictures, but also really positive comments about other people's pictures. I've noticed the same thing in the Post A Pic Of Your Pet thread - again, extremely positive contributions from you in there. Please continue to be a regular contributor in those and help to keep spreading the general positivity, because it's very much welcome. They don't always come up in the year-end awards but they are genuinely two of the best recurring threads in existence. 

Personally, I think you no longer need to make fun of yourself over some running gags about you like the gags about biscuits, cows, the time you switched prices in the classifieds, etc. You might not be able to stop other members from doing that - but by not playing up to it yourself as a way of joining in or being in on the gag so to speak, I believe eventually this would relax somewhat. I think perhaps you try so hard to be funny or in on the jokes, or replying with what you think are satirical gifs, it perhaps weakens some of your credibility. My advice would be to ignore this, possibly report something if you think its being overly abusive, turn the other cheek and make an alternative contribution. 

I'm now going to switch gears and talk about mental health, and again I stress that I mean all of this in the politest way possible and I genuinely hope that you are in as a good a place as possible and on the road to recovery regarding everything you've gone through or that you're currently working through. For years now, you have been very open and honest about your mental health issues, which I do think is commendable and actually quite brave. However, I see you routinely rejecting advice from fellow posters, and I also find it quite hard to hear you talk disparagingly about NHS staff. The other thing - and please shoot me down if I am incorrect on this one - is that I very rarely see you try to dispense advice to other posters who might be looking for some guidance. It does feel a little bit one-sided. That thread in particular works best when people share and help each other.

I think you could become a real asset to the mental health thread by showing the same sort of positivity you do in the Picture threads. By encouraging other posters and being a friendly ear for them, I think you'd go a long way to repay some of the advice that other members of the forum have tried to dispense to you over the years. Furthermore, it would be lovely to hear from more positive aspects of your mental health journey if you'd be willing to share them - have there been any treatments recently that have really helped you? Is there a particular activity that brings you joy which you'd recommend to people as a potential coping mechanism for their mental health? Any good self-help books you have read that you'd be willing to recommend? I'm one of many members of the forum that have had or are currently managing their mental health and I always appreciate great resources being pointed out to me. With your years of experience with mental health treatment, I don't think you realise that actually you probably have so much useful information that you could share which might actually really help people on the board. You genuinely could be a real force for good. 

This is probably the most feeble comment and not one you should take to heart at all - but I noticed that you don't cap up your singular i's. By capping up your singular I (it should always be capped when used as an individual letter), you posts would read a lot better and less child-like. My spelling and grammar is far from perfect, but that's one little tip I'd like to dispense to you as I think your posts would carry more authority.

Your post earlier in this thread was actually quite well thought out, constructed and although I disagree the award should be removed - I thought you put your point across quite reasonably. This proves that you can be a compelling poster, make good cases for your points and engage in positive discussions. 

A challenge for you, Ralphy - if you take all of the above on board, become a real force for good in the threads I've mentioned and be a Positive Peter, I will personally vote for you in one of the 'good' 2023 award threads. I'm sure others would agree with this sentiment. 

I wish you well. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Fantastic post @Fatty Facesitter. Well said. Ralphy is a decent guy, but sometimes people can get caught up a little too much in the opinions of others, be it online or in person. I know it's happened to me.

On a semi-related note I think there are other posters on here who sometimes need to take some time to properly read posts to get the proper context of them before they just fire off a knee-jerk reply as well. This place is great, and the majority of the posters are great as well. There'll always be the occasional idiot that tries to ruin it for the others anywhere, but they usually get dealt with in time. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

On a semi-related note I think there are other posters on here who sometimes need to take some time to properly read posts to get the proper context of them before they just fire off a knee-jerk reply as well. This place is great, and the majority of the posters are great as well. There'll always be the occasional idiot that tries to ruin it for the others anywhere, but they usually get dealt with in time. 

Absolutely true. And I'm sure they have the same issues on other social media too. And it's very much down to the person and their mental state as to how they interpret and read things. If they're already in an incredibly negative state then it's very easy to read things in a bad way. And if that's the case then places like these can be quite damaging because things can be taken in the wrong way. But if they're willing to take a step back and look at things in a different light then this place can be really helpful rather than challenging.

• Paid Members

That’s some excellent advice from Fatty and if I was you I’d definitely take my time to listen to it.

One thing I can add myself is I’ve been here since 2007. I was 16 when I joined and I turn 33 tomorrow. That’s half of my life on this planet I have spent coming here (christ).
I believe this is the first year I’ve been up for a positive award but there was plenty of years I was up for negative ones. Don’t take it to heart in a negative way, but in a positive one. Look at why it is and see if there are positive changes you can make from it. I look back at some of my posts even from only a couple of years ago and wonder what on earth I was doing!

I’m not saying change who you are, never do that, but definitely read the room better.
I only really post now about things i’m interested in rather than what I used to do which was use this place like a chat room and just spend my time trying to be funny and getting into circular arguments with people. It’s made my time here more enjoyable for people, most importantly myself.

Put me up as another one that definitely said some absolutely stupid shit on here back in the day. But now I really hope I contribute in a more positive way. I enjoy the wrestling discussion. I love the off topic stuff like TV, film and video games. And even the more personal stuff. And even when I don't feel like contributing I read and learn a lot.

There's a lot of fucking decent people on here. Ones that have grown up here over the years. People can always learn and change if they're willing to.

Also worth remembering that at the end of the day this place is a forum on the internet. I have spent the best part of 14 years reading and contributing on here. It started out as a place I came to keep abreast of the wrestling world, to read other peoples thoughts on what was happening in the wider wrestling world. 

The thing that sets this forum apart is the Off Topic section though, it is easy to keep a wall up within the confines of just wrestle talk, someone doesn’t like AEW, great who cares. However when you start venturing into Off Topic and you realise that these people have lives and personalities it becomes harder not to feel as if you know them on a more personal level. 

As stated this place is predominantly a lovely space and people are for the most part extremely helpful and insightful. I have laughed, cried and become angry at some posts on here, again always in off topic. I have never met anyone off of here but I still feel like I know them as well as some of my oldest friends. Therein lies the problem, we are for all intents a purposes a big dysfunctional family that squabble and argue but always tend to pull through for one another.

The negative awards always present to me as a light ribbing the same as you would get around the pub table with your mates, fucking hell Houchen just made the dropped reference again, fuck sake Devon is being a film snob, christ Jazzy is showing is his High vision vest again. It’s all just the usual banter you would encounter anywhere but because of the nature of this place it can be perceived to be much more personal.

I have shared stuff on here that I have not told some of my closest friends because I feel there is a level of separation, that doesn’t however stop me from feeling gratitude for anyone that tries to help. This isn’t a place where you post your woes and expect to have the entire forum agree with you, we come from all walks of life and therefore we all view the world differently and have different levels of empathy or tolerance for certain struggles or views. 

I don’t think there are any outright malicious people on here but there are certainly going to be personality clashes and that is life, you aren’t friends with everyone you meet in life so why would you be on an internet forum. Use this place how you will, support people if you can, ignore those who annoy you, but don’t disregard good advice just because you don’t want to hear it. 

If this place brings you happiness/peace/release/somewhere to talk about having a shit then let it be that place. When it becomes a detriment to your life in the ‘real’ world then maybe it is time to log off and say goodbye. 

Edited by Joe Blog
HIV was causing issues

• Paid Members

Contrary to popular belief, this is definitely one of the more welcoming and jovial corners of the internet and not many people on here hold grudges. Its definitely more about reading the room rather than acting like this is a Facebook group where anything goes. The other aspect is its 2023 and there are not many genuinely new people signing up here, most of us have posted here for 10+ years at least so its easier to build up relationships with people beyond just talk about wrestling, what you have on your fry up or which way round you take a shit. 

@RalphyV2you genuinely do seem like a lovely guy who is just trying to be liked, the best advice anyone on here could give you, is take @Fatty Facesitter's advice on board and grow from it. As he mentioned, your positivity in the Post a Picture threads is very uplifting in what could be a daunting topic on a relatively anonymous forum, don't take this nom to heart.