• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

To change the subject.. I would've chosen Jarrett.

I think that was my biggest disappointment last night. They had spent the last few weeks showing why MJF wouldn't pick The Acclaimed, only to go for the easy option anyway. Well, that and the fact we have the very immobile Paul Wight tagging with Jericho and the Golden Lovers.  

An actual recap! The setting up of an episode long storyline into the main event! A solid opener!

Let's keep this going...Claudio Castagnoli standing around like a spare part after his match with OC. Kind of lost me after that. As it was a recurring theme.

Mogul Embassy v. Hungbucks just a backdrop to Swerve v. Hangman. Absolutely pointless title reign for truly pointless titles. Guess they were asked to work Final Battle and went 'nah'.

Golden Jets v. 2.0 backdrop to Callis Family and Big Slow.

Shida v. Willow just there for the AmDram theatrics of Toni Storm and spooky bollocks of Julia Hart & Skye Blue. Really? Skye's misting people now???

BCG and MJF/Acclaimed was at least all about what was happening in the ring, but felt flat with how poor the Acclaimed and Max angle played out.

They've got their stories, but it's watered down the in-ring product.

For TK's engagement troll discussion i'll hide that away.

Spoiler

In about 24 hours his tweet about an Important Announcement picked up 1m views.

That's because giphy.gif

AEW's own version is under 100k.

Even TK's follow up promoting the full card and announcement had under 100k.

For those terminally online it was 24hrs of speculation, frustration, trolling and apathy. I've already seen some of the main podcasts lead with "Tony Khan's Important Announcement" which gives it further engagement that wouldn't exist otherwise for a pre-sale.

For actual casual viewers it was never hyped on previous programming. Then during the show it was a drop in, as I don't recall it being promoted until it happened. The vast majority got exactly what other people have suggested. A blink and you'll miss it moment during the show with no overhyped fanfare.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members

I’ve always thought with wrestling crowds that 2,000 fans in an arena doesn’t look and sound incredibly different to having 20,000 fans, as long as you film and present it right.

That said, while 3,000 odd fans for a midweek show is fine on its own, its not the best look when they’re rattling in a 22,000 seater.

I don’t know if its a pride thing or whether they’re getting great deals on these big arenas, but pictures of empty seats circulating after every show isn’t the best look. As we saw with LolTNA (which was sometimes justified, sometimes not) mud sticks after a while and its incredibly difficult to shake it off.

Its unwise to allow this narrative to develop that “no one watches AEW”.

If AEW were booking 3,500 seaters and filling them then no one would say a thing.

Edited by garynysmon

8 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Claudio Castagnoli standing around like a spare part after his match with OC

At the risk of going all fantasy booking, I think I smell a possible BCC breakup.  First of all you have Wheeler Yuta somewhat off his leash and Claudio sending him to the back, then Claudio looked very conflicted about the Orange Cassidy beat-down, eventually pulling Moxley offf him.  With Bryan out for the rest of the year and starting to ease into his retirement run, it's probably time to let them all do their own thing.  I've always preferred lone wolf Moxley to the BCC version anyway, he doesn't make a convincing mentor.

What a match though, one of my favourite AEW matches of the year - Claudio showing MJF how to land a backbreaker over the knee safely... twice, and some great moments that showcase how incredibly strong he is.  The sliced bread out of the corner where Orange doesn't post because he's got his hands in his pockets, and Castignoli just powers him all the way over... amazing.  Great storytelling, crowd loved it, and not a single head-drop. ;)    I'm 180 on Cassidy since he arrived, he regularly is in the best match of the night, he plays his character so well and is deceptively smart as a wrestler.  

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I’ve always thought with wrestling crowds that 2,000 fans in an arena doesn’t look and sound incredibly different to having 20,000 fans, as long as you film and present it right.

That said, while 3,000 odd fans for a midweek show is fine on its own, its not the best look when they’re rattling in a 22,000 seater.

I don’t know if its a pride thing or whether they’re getting great deals on these big arenas, but pictures of empty seats circulating after every show isn’t the best look. As we saw with LolTNA (which was sometimes justified, sometimes not) mud sticks after a while and its incredibly difficult to shake it off.

If AEW were booking 3,500 seaters and filling them then no one would say a thing.

This never mattered. If you could hide it on TV no-one was bothered. Pre pandemic WWE was getting 5000 in 15,000 arenas in some markets. Summerslam 22 had a whole half of the stadium curtained off. But you’d never know because of camera set ups. This is just another social media storm by weird fans.

• Paid Members

Claudio is very good. Just an enjoyable, safe pair of hands that you know if going to put on a cracker match. Nothing else really needs to be said about O.C either. He has well and truly proven everyone wrong that only saw him as a comedy character, or 'pockets'. Done right, he could well and truly be a main eventer in the same vein as Daniel Bryan as the underdog taking on all comers. 

22 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The only show WWE did there last year there had under 8k in a 22k basketball arena. Wouldn't exactly have been full to the brim.

The bad faith takes would be there regardless.

• Paid Members

The "how big is big" discourse misses the larger issue, which is that Tony Khan should only be on TV for the biggest of the big announcements because he's an absolute geek with no charisma or ability to deliver anything resembling a good promo. "My parents put their tree up in July haha". Dreadful.

In fact, he should never be on TV for anything. Get Tony Schiavone to do it.

The only other comment I have on the show is that the last thing AEW needs is another 50+ year old on TV. I realise Jericho has entered his Hull Hogan "jobs for the boys" stage, but someone needs to get him to pack that in.

Edited by Duke

25 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

The only show WWE did there last year there had under 8k in a 22k basketball arena. Wouldn't exactly have been full to the brim.

The bad faith takes would be there regardless.

I love that the first response that popped up on the Twitter feed for this was from Hannibal Scorch.

Maybe I'm alone in feeling this way, but I'm well up for the Jerishow reunion. The last WWE match Wight had, with Drew McIntyre, was pretty good, and unless I'm misremembering, he didn't look terrible in the squash against QT Marshall. I may be proven wrong here, but I'm fully expecting him to 'still have it'. And if he does, Jericho/Wight vs. Starks/Big Bill for the tag belts seems like an obvious route to take.