• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Very true but also it's only the ROH Television Championship. No one cares about it. All the ROH titles (and ROH) belong in the bin.

whilst i agree the casual AEW fan probably doesn't, its historic and they are trying to keep it alive as a brand.

52 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Very true but also it's only the ROH Television Championship. No one cares about it. All the ROH titles (and ROH) belong in the bin.

Hopefully they're just retiring this title altogether - after all is it just me or do ROH actually not even have television right now? So what's the point of having a TV championship? Stick with the Pure title and leave it be.

ROH do have TV, they have Dynamite and Rampage and Collision.  There was, I think, a Dynamite when there were TWO sets of Trios titles being defended on the same show.  How many trios teams are there that you need TWO sets of titles, let alone two sets on the same shows?

I loathe ROH, it's imo got wayy more indyriffic stink on it than TNA ever had.  It's like if every Raw you had the OVW titles defended.  Madness.

A Seth Rollins slag off session, and now ROH? Big UKFF week for me.

I couldn’t agree more. The ROH stuff is an absolute state, confusing to watch and diminishing everyone involved.

The world champ shouldn’t give the slightest shit about the tinpot ROH tag titles, and Samoa Joe shouldn’t have any interested in carrying about the TV title.

Keep them on ROH TV, and sprinkle in some AEW star power on that show when it needs it (ala NXT and previously FCW/OVW).

Don’t infect the big shows with this nonsense.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

MJF simultaneously being absolutely brilliant and yet having one of the worst World Title reigns I’ve ever seen is one of the most confusing experiences I’ve ever had as a fan watching wrestling.

Every week he seems to get sucked ever further into the midcard, Roddy-Strong-with-a-neckbrace-and-a-giraffe nonsense factory that diminishes the World Title, yet he’s so effortlessly brilliant he himself isn’t diminished at all.

Such a brilliant performer.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

MJF's amazing I agree, but (I don't think) nobody here has said anything about him rushing to find the Acclaimed at the end of Dynamite. Was his acting not terrible at that point? It's like he was faking that he was upset the Acclaimed got battered. And I can't tell if he just didn't nail it, or it was supposed to look like that. I'm enjoying the layers and the mystery etc., but I'm still not budging on the idea that MJF is some sort of mastermind behind everything. Somehow.

• Paid Members

they definitely left enough ambiguity that it could still be MJF as the Devil - the Devil never showed up during the beatdown itself, only in a pre-taped close-up, so that could have been a set-up. But I think that's more likely because they're winging it as they go along than because that ambiguity is going to lead to anything. 

21 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

MJF's amazing I agree, but (I don't think) nobody here has said anything about him rushing to find the Acclaimed at the end of Dynamite. Was his acting not terrible at that point? It's like he was faking that he was upset the Acclaimed got battered. And I can't tell if he just didn't nail it, or it was supposed to look like that. I'm enjoying the layers and the mystery etc., but I'm still not budging on the idea that MJF is some sort of mastermind behind everything. Somehow.

It's a tough one. Without really knowing how exactly he's meant to be playing it, my interpretation has always been that these awkward moments have been because he's a guy who's been so 100% bad guy and heel for the majority of his career that these more face-like situations are meant to feel weird and a bit unnerving and unbelievable. I've often found it annoying when a really strong dastardly heel has just gone full face overnight because of whatever booking there is going on. I'm a much bigger fan of a believable transition, whether that be they stay the same character but audiences have just got behind them or they slowly move into a good guy. With MJF I'm glad they haven't just switched him and there is this element of him being a guy who's almost learning how to be good and have decent relationships and genuinely care about people.

So yeah.. is he terrible with the acting or is he actually just really fucking good at acting like a guy who doesn't entirely know how to act at that point? Who knows. But his work has been good enough for me to at least believe it can be the latter.

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The world champ shouldn’t give the slightest shit about the tinpot ROH tag titles, and Samoa Joe shouldn’t have any interested in carrying about the TV title.

I take the MJF bit as him not caring about the ROH tag titles, rather him caring about the thing he and his one friend won together. 

Doesn’t change the fact they don’t need to be ROH titles to tell that story, especially when the actual AEW tag belts have become totally forgettable since they’re stuck in Collision limbo. But I can justify that one in my head - granted in a similar way to “MJF doesn’t know how to act like a genuine babyface so he just acts like he thinks he’s meant to”. Which I do think he’s doing as well.