• Paid Members

I don't usually muck in with ratings chat, because all that matters to me is whether I was entertained or not. That goes for both good matches/segments that do bad numbers, and bad matches/segments that do good numbers. I don't give a toss if AEW brings in a celeb in a bid to increase optics, because to me it's shit (looking at you, Bow Wow), and I don't give a fuck if another great PPV-quality match on Dynamite does middling numbers, because to me it was great.

However, all that said, this week's Dynamite looks shit (again) from both a numbers perspective, and from an Accident Prone Stamp Of Approval viewpoint. A turgid looking card that is another example of AEW's long gaps between PPVs being a constant negative. It's not 1993 anymore; weekly wrestling TV that hits the two hour mark (not even including Rampage) needs more frequent PPVs and TV specials to climax feuds at their hottest instead of stretching things out to the point of constant mediocrity. I would rather AEW have 4 weeks of good Dynamites and a hot as fuck PPV, rather than 4 weeks of excellent Dynamites sandwiched between 4 weeks of sub-par, rushed Dynamites and a lukewarm PPV.

1 hour ago, Daddymagic said:

As well as the sub par booking the turn off for me with AEW for the last couple of years has been their fanbase and the likes of Meltzer & Alvarez not reviewing things objectively. 

I can’t think of a more depressing way to determine your enjoyment of wrestling than this.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I don't usually muck in with ratings chat, because all that matters to me is whether I was entertained or not. That goes for both good matches/segments that do bad numbers, and bad matches/segments that do good numbers. I don't give a toss if AEW brings in a celeb in a bid to increase optics, because to me it's shit (looking at you, Bow Wow), and I don't give a fuck if another great PPV-quality match on Dynamite does middling numbers, because to me it was great.

However, all that said, this week's Dynamite looks shit (again) from both a numbers perspective, and from an Accident Prone Stamp Of Approval viewpoint. A turgid looking card that is another example of AEW's long gaps between PPVs being a constant negative. It's not 1993 anymore; weekly wrestling TV that hits the two hour mark (not even including Rampage) needs more frequent PPVs and TV specials to climax feuds at their hottest instead of stretching things out to the point of constant mediocrity. I would rather AEW have 4 weeks of good Dynamites and a hot as fuck PPV, rather than 4 weeks of excellent Dynamites sandwiched between 4 weeks of sub-par, rushed Dynamites and a lukewarm PPV.

It's a great point. In the first 2 years or so you would have special episodes of AEW (Beach Break, Road Rager or whatever it was called) where they would have better cards with more key matches. We have Grand Slam which still feels a big deal, but maybe they should do a few more of those throughout the year to break up those PPV gaps. Even have them on Dynamite and Rampage (Night 1 and Night 2) to make it feel bigger. It certainly seems to be their biggest short fall right now.

39 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

another example of AEW's long gaps between PPVs being a constant negative. It's not 1993 anymore; weekly wrestling TV that hits the two hour mark (not even including Rampage) needs more frequent PPVs and TV specials to climax feuds at their hottest instead of stretching things out to the point of constant mediocrity. I would rather AEW have 4 weeks of good Dynamites and a hot as fuck PPV, rather than 4 weeks of excellent Dynamites sandwiched between 4 weeks of sub-par, rushed Dynamites and a lukewarm PPV.

I think this is where ROH has hurt AEW more than anything that's happened on screen. WB were meant to be happy to run more PPVs as it would boost BR Live's schedule. Tony wanted quality over quantity in the early days. Which fare enough with the depth they had when starting out, then COVID came along.

2022 AEW should have been finding gaps in the calendar to expand their own events, but were finding dates to slot in ROH shows instead.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I quite like Evil Uno and am looking forward to him and Mox

Yeah, lads, all shite, innit?

Evil Uno is a treasure. Seems like the most likable person both inside and outside of the ring and his Twitter game is very strong. More Evil Uno please. 

2 hours ago, Daddymagic said:

I think the above is the issue. 

AEW should exist to be a good alternative, with their own clear brand doing the numbers above.

As well as the sub par booking the turn off for me with AEW for the last couple of years has been their fanbase and the likes of Meltzer & Alvarez not reviewing things objectively. 
I was a 20 year + subscriber to the Observer but cancelled last year after Dave & Bryan started going after customers on their paid forum who criticised TKs booking. 

Things like TKs Twitter meltdown, and saying that he's in a war or hates WWE every time he is interviewed is another reason not to tune in. It's petty and opens you up to celebration when you don't do as well -- I felt the same when Vince and Eric did in the 90s too. 

If reading things stopped me enjoying something I watched, I’d give up the reading than the show I was enjoying 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

A turgid looking card that is another example of AEW's long gaps between PPVs being a constant negative. It's not 1993 anymore; weekly wrestling TV that hits the two hour mark (not even including Rampage) needs more frequent PPVs and TV specials to climax feuds at their hottest instead of stretching things out to the point of constant mediocrity. I would rather AEW have 4 weeks of good Dynamites and a hot as fuck PPV, rather than 4 weeks of excellent Dynamites sandwiched between 4 weeks of sub-par, rushed Dynamites and a lukewarm PPV.

Yeah I'd agree with this. Instead of 4 PPVs a year bump it up to 6 with a couple of big TV specials inbetween so that there's always something to build up to not too far off. The fact that AEW has 3 MONTHS of TV to build up to a PPV but then recently seems to completely throw together the card 2-3 weeks beforehand is absolute madness.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Evil Uno is a treasure. Seems like the most likable person both inside and outside of the ring and his Twitter game is very strong. More Evil Uno please. 

I'm sure that been likeable makes for a happier work environment, but is it a draw at the gate or on TV? People only wanting to work with people they like is a lot of the position that AEW find themselves in now. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'm sure that been likeable makes for a happier work environment, but is it a draw at the gate or on TV? People only wanting to work with people they like is a lot of the position that AEW find themselves in now. 

I find I'm more likely to watch and enjoy people that I find likeable, personally. I wouldn't build an entire show around him, but it's got me more interested in this week than last week.

Out of everyone in the company, I don't think Mox comes across as 'only wanting to work with people he likes'.

• Paid Members

That's more than fair about Mox, and he was not part of the criticism I had. 

If viewers only watched nice people then the history of wrestling would be very different. I'm not sure there would have been anyone to watch in the 80s barring Steamboat and Sting.