Brewchat

Gus Mears

• Moderators

Another Yorkshire tea fan checking in. I have it with oat milk, no sugar. I know a lot of people can't stand the taste of oat milk in hot drinks but I've gotten very used to it now. Incidentally I tried the 'hard water' Yorkshire recently and couldn't really tell the difference.

Sometimes I'll add some dry powder chai spice, but if I do that then it needs a half spoon of sugar as well. 

I drink shitloads of peppermint tea, but use the same bag repeatedly so by the end of the evening it's pretty much just hot water.

For fancy tea I get a really nice loose leaf blend called 'custard cream' from birdhouse teas in Sheffield. It's black, rooibos vanilla and coconut I think. Sweet but not too sweet. 

• Awards Moderator

Coffee for me. Black. Hazelnut flavour to make it sweeter without the need for sugar. First one of the day in the office is in the big mug to wake me up properly, but there are always chewies on hand so my breath doesn't crack the screen on Teams call.

233938142_Screenshot2022-11-18at09_07_57.thumb.png.64e72231de775d3e32f0b8bf0caac0a1.png

I'll then switch to a smaller mug for the rest of the day and because normal tea is awful, I'll have either Peppermint or Lemon & Ginger tea and I'm already regretting this post.

813463855_Screenshot2022-11-18at09_35_23.thumb.png.1c91d257c36e3392c325c1a6503524b2.png

Have a good day!

• Paid Members

I like Assam Tea and Green Tea. The local japanese place does a Matcha Tea in a little iron teapot which I always get if I go there.

I’m more of a coffee drinker though, like @Onyx2I have an Aeropress and every few weeks we’ll go to our local zero waste weigh shop and buy a few different types of coffee to try. If i’m after a quick one though I’ll just have some instant. At the minute it’s Azera whenever I can get it on offer.

My drinking vessel is a heat changing Animal Crossing mug. Also have a Mario Kart one.

062D5CA4-ED3D-40C6-B378-49081B8D58E0.jpeg

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Another Yorkshire tea fan checking in. I have it with oat milk, no sugar. I know a lot of people can't stand the taste of oat milk in hot drinks but I've gotten very used to it now. Incidentally I tried the 'hard water' Yorkshire recently and couldn't really tell the difference.

Oat milk with tea isn’t bad - I can’t have too much of it but when we’re trying to be dairy free it’s the best option for a cuppa. Alpro no sugar, with the right amount, and you can barely tell the difference.

• Paid Members

Punjana and Nambarie are the best here. Yorkshire will do nicely on the big Island. Anyone with Tetley or PG Tips in the cupboard needs watching. Tea is drop of milk, strong, no sugar and very hot. 

I drink some coffee, but not very much. Coffee is black, no sugar and the stronger the better when it's going. Usually because I've been up for way too damn long or recovering from a night on the tiles when I don't want milk near me. 

Peppermint tea gets a fair old whack in my house (by me only). But green tea can absolutely get in the bin. 

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

Coffee for me - black, no sugar, pretty strong. I'm not much of a coffee snob, so don't mind instant coffee, but I have some standards there; I normally aim for the Nescafe Azera stuff, currently enjoying the Perky Blenders collaboration, though it could do with being a bit stronger. I used to drink 5-6 cups a day, and a few years back forced myself down to 3. If I'm in the office I maybe creep up to 4 sometimes now, whereas working from home I'll average one or two. 

Not a big fan of any of the big chain coffee shops' coffee - my friend owns a coffee shop, and used to say that the more a place like Starbucks or Costa advertise their flavoured syrups, iced coffees, and so on, the worse their coffee will be, because what they're trying to sell you is everything that disguises the taste of the actual drink. I am a recent convert to Black Sheep Coffee, though, which is pretty much exactly to my taste. I have a bit of an aversion to drinking out of a takeaway cup if I can help it, though.

I do enjoy a cup of tea, though I'm not a big drinker of it. Someone bought me a Moomin tea selection box that had a load of different flavoured winter teas; baked apple, truffle and chocolate, bergamot and orange, that sort of thing - I used to like that kind of thing around this time of year, but it's nothing I'd go out of my way to buy myself.

Edited by BomberPat

Don't touch coffee and not the biggest tea drinker but I'm an exclusively Earl Grey wanker. It's stops any sort of tea conversation and unless you're a guest at mine, eliminates brewing up.

If I'm being a ponce, it's 2 sugars and a slice of lemon/spoon of honey. I once had the misfortune of someone making me a brew with milk, the filthy degenerate.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rule One said:

Don't touch coffee and not the biggest tea drinker but I'm an exclusively Earl Grey wanker. It's stops any sort of tea conversation and unless you're a guest at mine, eliminates brewing up.

If I'm being a ponce, it's 2 sugars and a slice of lemon/spoon of honey. I once had the misfortune of someone making me a brew with milk, the filthy degenerate.

An absolute heathen. 

Non hot drink people must be on a special kind of security watchlist. They're up to something. 

• Paid Members
On 11/18/2022 at 6:13 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Are any of the supermarket brands any good?

Whittard once did these breakfast teabags a few years ago that had a hint of lemon, lovely it was. Haven't seen them since. Otherwise I'm a Tetley Guy.

Co-op 99 tea is a more than adequate brew.

• Paid Members

Agree that Earl Grey is pants. I had a soft spot for it when I was younger because my Gran always used to make it and the aroma gave me some weird proustian rush about childhood, but it's always a massive disappointment when it comes to actually drinking it. Tastes like soap.