SuperBacon

• Members

Thought it would be wise that this have it's own thread. 

Very much looking forward to it. Have tried to avoid any footage/news etc, but in a quick google to see just when it starts (first two episodes at 2am tomorrow on Prime, with episodes weekly) I've just seen a few review headlines, which look very promising.

The most expensive TV show ever, so at least it will look great.

Edited by SuperBacon
TOSS ME

Really looking forward to it. I've not followed its going ons too closely but from the trailer I've seen it looks like all that money's gone to making it look hyper saccharine, but in the way that even if it's a bit shit it'll hopefully be high octane, daft shit. 

Hope it's not delayed the new Wheel of Time until next year though. Good, proper fantasy that. Formulaic, overlong and safe to show at any southern baptist Sunday Funday. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

The Hobbit movies never really delivered on that for me.

They were bollocks. A few good bits but a 2 movie story stretched to 3,  and FAR too many “My arse do they survive that” or “physics doesn’t work that way” moments.

4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

They were bollocks. A few good bits but a 2 movie story stretched to 3,  and FAR too many “My arse do they survive that” or “physics doesn’t work that way” moments.

Yeah there was a lot of that. And visually it all just felt a bit off too. Not sure why.

37 minutes ago, air_raid said:

2 movies? Even that's too long. 

They never knew what movie they were making. The Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings prequel. 

The Hobbit really needed to be something completely different. Not only would it have saved the film but it would have helped the franchise immensely. It still feels like those 3 movies (and they are great) are seen as the definitive version of Lord of the Rings. But they were stories written by a man taking a bunch of stories and characters he loved and telling new stories with them. 

I think half the trouble with The Hobbit film Is that Jackson was quoted as having said that Tolkien claimed Bilbo wrote the Hobbit and Frodo wrote the LOTR. Bilbo was always more prone to exaggeration whilst Frodo was more serious and deeply scared by his time as ring bearer. Jackson tried to show this when writing the Hobbit.

The result was scenes that were just too unbelievable. I also found it really off putting that half the dwarves just looked like small men. 

• Paid Members

The fact that the rubbish Hobbit movies are even that good is a minor miracle. The production was hugely rushed and Peter Jackson was essentially forced into doing it and spent the whole time depressed and completely exhausted. Nevermind the pressure of following up three of the best films of all time.

I think the first one is pretty fun and the Smaug scenes in the second are great but yeah, they are massively flawed films.

• Paid Members

Jackson had no interest in doing the hobbit, i believe they more or less said if you dont we will find someone that will. 

LOTR was always out around December i used to go for my birthday every year. Props to my Mrs that fell asleep in the battle of helms deep......

I recently upgraded to the 4k set and watched them all again in their extended edition greatness.  

I have really high hopes for this. 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

Jackson had no interest in doing the hobbit, i believe they more or less said if you dont we will find someone that will. 

I always thought it was linked to his lawsuit against New Line? They had hidden all the profits from the Lord of The Ring's films through Hollywood accounting so none of the cast got any royalties and Jackson never got a percentage from them (apparently worth over $100m) His lawsuit requested a full audit of New Line and the way they sold rights internally (essentially selling rights for $0 from one company they own to another. Hollywood hates audits and this led to New Line saying they would never work with Jackson again. At the same Tolkien's family were taking them to court for the same thing and trying to block them making The Hobbit. New Line settled out of court with them both and within a year Jackson was back working on the Hobbit films. I'd be shocked if it wasn't a case of 'Here's your money if you settle and make 3 more films'

The second Hobbit film's a good time. Part fantasy fairytale of the original, part more grown up LOTR prequel of the last one. That, and the barrel escape fighting is ace. We still laugh at creepy uncanny valley Legolas, though. And the main sexy dwarf when they almost always show him in slightly slow motion and with a fan blowing his hair gently, because they had to attempt to make at least one of them marketable. We christened him King L'Oréal on our first watch through. 

• Paid Members

I've never fallen asleep at the cinema and I've never gotten motion sickness at the cinema but that all changed when I saw one of the fucking Hobbit movies at the fucking cinema.

It wasn't number one as that was fairly decent, but it was definitely either two or three. Either way, a film featuring epic battle scenes should not make anyone fall asleep, but I was 40 winks deep during that slog, and to make matters worse, the weird frame rate had me clutching an empty popcorn box like an aeroplane sickness bag.

Anyway, the new show looks odd to say the least. It reminds me of '10th Kingdom', and although that's not exactly a bad thing, it does feel incredibly dated and like a SKY 1 original.